What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How waterproof is a 10

Latech15

Well Known Member
With all the rain at Oshkosh today, it makes me glad I wasn’t able to fly up.

I use a Bruce’s cover on my -6A, but it ends up with water inside if left out during a rain. I’ve recently added two drain holes, one in front of the rear spar and one in front of the front spar. I haven’t left it outside since the holes were added, but I’m hopeful those will let the water out that gets in.

I’m in the process of building a 10 and just wondering if I will have the same type of issues with the new plane.

Do you 10 owners fret as much about the rain as I do?

Up here it is required to have drain holes in the bottom of the fuselage. Is it not a requirement for them in the US?

& yes, I remember the Osh drenchings, along with the totally waterlogged sleeping bag...

The 6, I bought built. It had no holes, and I understand that they weren’t called out in the instructions but are highly recommended by builders. I’m not to the fuse on the 10 so I’m not sure if they are in there. I plan to have a full carpet package on the interior in the 10 so water will be a bigger issue than in my bare 6.

My ‘10 doors have never leaked a drop even in heavy rains. I have had some wetness just inside of the baggage door.

This was the eighth OSH for my Rv-10. No issues with water. I use a Bruce’s cover. I do put a tape over the top of wing AOA port, just so I don’t have to drain it later.

A covered 10 should not have a cabin problem in the rain. However in service they may not be.

Flying thru rain showers has not been a problem for me, but sitting in the rain has. This was particularly noticeable while waiting for a clearance in California in a steady shower. I think it has to do with the configuration of the door hinges. To accommodate some types of door seals the channel may be cut back allowing water to enter inside the door. If your door seal channel routes the rain down to the outside then you should stay dry.

The fuselage should have a drain hole at the lowest point. The control surfaces drain themselves as does the wing.

Back