What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Marvel-Schebler carb floats

Charlie12

Previous threads on Rotax carb floats may have died of old age---I can't find them. I am again starting my annual condition inspection and would really like to try the Marvel-Schebler epoxy carb floats that the M-S website says directly replace Bing 861184 floats, which is what were in my engine when it was new. I have gone thru 861184, 861185, 861188, and 861189 floats in 4 years/290 hours and would like to get off that merry-go-round. Has anyone has RECENT experience with Marvel-Schebler floats? Van's builder support told me that they have not.

I replaced my 912 ULS Rotax floats with MS floats in July 2020. Empty weight for the pair was 5.8 grams. No problems to date.

Cheers!

new "Rev. B" floats

I just received a set of carb floats from Marvel-Schebler. The invoice lists them as "Rev B" of part no. MS80-430. The top has corners chamfered a bit compared to the original version shown in the photo on the M-S website, presumably to reduce the weight. Cost is roughly the same as Rotax floats.

I weighed them today and the result is encouraging. One set weighs 2.92+2.93=5.85 grams. Second set weighs 2.78+2.75=5.53 grams. This is very close to what my most recent set of Rotax floats weighed when new. M-S says the epoxy will not absorb fuel and get heavier. Fingers crossed.

Hi. I just got two pairs. Did your sets look like mine?

The sets sent to me appear to be foam floats covered in a blue coating. Didn't they used to be hollow epoxy shells? If you look closely, you can see what appears to be black foam in some areas, as the coating isn't uniform. If the coating is keeping the fuel out, then I'm not sure how well these will last...

(Photos should be attached)

Attachments

• IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1156.jpg
    IMG_1156.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 204
so far so good here...make sure you put them in the right way..else you will see gas out the overflow tube...ask me how i know...

Back