What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ASA Instument online course

Has anyone used the ASA or Gleim Instrument courses? Looking for some opinions. I have some unused gift certificates at Spruce ( I'm sure I'll find something I need eventually) and these are the only courses they offer. I would spring for the King, Sporty's, Sheppard etc. if I understand ASA or Gleim is a poor choice. Thanks Mark

Last edited:
I used various books and the sheppard test prep s/w, so cannot comment on which courses are best. However, that approach worked well for me. Some do better with books and others with classes.

Best of luck in your efforts.

I used Gleim this past year, it was pretty good in my opinion. The questions on the final Gleim tests are SAID to be the same as the FAA actual, but they aren't. They are the same format, same type, but different scenarios. As long as you can figure out what the question is asking on the Gleim tests you should be able to do it on the FAA as well.

My Gleim self-tests at the end of the course averaged 97%, and I scored 88% on the actual.

Study Books

I studied with the Gleim course books. Then I ended up taking one of the weekend courses. The weekend course pretty much went through the ASA study books and questions. (I would not recommend the weekend course method for the instrument / commercial.) I took the test and passed. Most, if not all, of the questions on the test were different than the books (both Gleim and ASA). If you understand the material from the books, you should be able to answer similar "real" test questions. But even though they claim the test questions from the books are identical, in my experience, they were not.
Matt
RV7A

I would not recommend the ASA course. I just went through it, and I feel like it was poorly done compared to other study courses I have seen.

Depends

Mark,

I think it depends on if you are trying to just pass the written test or if you are looking for a good course to learn a lot about actual instrument flying methods and procedures before you start flight training.

I think Sheppard is one of the best for the "passing the test" route and I have used them for test prep review after learning the material through other methods. Read their website on how they try to stay up to date on questions since the FAA no longer officially releases them to the public.

I used the "Cleared for the Approach" DVD system from Cessna/King for IFR. This was a computer based system where you take each lesson on the computer and then they have a couple of videos showing how to actually fly that lesson in the C172. I did not go through the Cessna training center for flight training but did find the course very informative with lots of good info instead of just being a boring test review video. I believe this system or a very similar one is still sold by King under King/Cessna training but it online based only now.

Andy

Has anyone used the ASA or Gleim Instrument courses? Looking for some opinions. I have some unused gift certificates at Spruce ( I'm sure I'll find something I need eventually) and these are the only courses they offer. I would spring for the King, Sporty's, Sheppard etc. if I understand ASA or Gleim is a poor choice. Thanks Mark

Mike, I had more time than money so I went with 'free'. This is how I prepared for the Instrument Written. Reference 'Installment #2' at:

http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/myIFRCheckride/my_ifr_checkride.htm

Samples:
VAF_184%20Oct.%2018%2013.10.jpg

VAF_183%20Oct.%2018%2012.58.jpg

Last edited:
Sheppard Air

+1 for Sheppard Air Instrument prep!

I felt like I was behind on my ground studies, as I hadn't done any with my instructor. I was using the Jeppesen online ground course and was struggling through it. It took a lot of time and I didn't seem to be learning all too well. Decided to try Sheppard Air and was hooked. I loved the way it explains things in layman's terms and the structure of study. Although it did take some diligence to keep at it at times, I walked out of my written test in 15 minutes with a 90%. And the questions I got wrong were my own fault in misinterpretation.

Go with Sheppard Air, its guaranteed!

Back