What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Pulley Ring Gear

Jasonm

Well Known Member
So I find out that my dual pulley ring gear that came with my engine from Vans isn't going to allow me to install a Lightspeed ignition due to the required bosses on the back of the gear not being there. I contacted Klaus at LS and he confirmed this and suggested I contact Lycoming to see if they could swap me one (my engine has not been started). Lycoming was great to deal with and Mark was very helpful but did say there isn't a ring gear that is compatible with the non-certified IO-540. I find this hard to believe and now it looks like I'm stuck with running dual mags. Has anyone run into this before?

Thanks

You need Part number LW-16471 SUPPORT ASSY-STARTER RING GEAR
Some were available on e-bay if you can't get lycoming to exchange yours.

I had put a note on Vans Lycoming order form that I wanted the single pully ring gear. Lycoming called me and said because of the production line that they were not able to do it, but if I shipped it back after I got the engine they would exchange it.

1.5 years later when I actually installed the engine, I realized I had not done this. I contacted them and they swapped it with no hassle after I got to the experimental side. (when I called the support number on the engine manual they said NO WAY CANT BE DONE before I got transfered to experimental side).

Person that helped me was Lisa Deinlein (email first initial then lastname @lycoming.com)

You need Part number LW-16471 SUPPORT ASSY-STARTER RING GEAR
Some were available on e-bay if you can't get lycoming to exchange yours.

I had put a note on Vans Lycoming order form that I wanted the single pully ring gear. Lycoming called me and said because of the production line that they were not able to do it, but if I shipped it back after I got the engine they would exchange it.

1.5 years later when I actually installed the engine, I realized I had not done this. I contacted them and they swapped it with no hassle after I got to the experimental side. (when I called the support number on the engine manual they said NO WAY CANT BE DONE before I got transfered to experimental side).

Person that helped me was Lisa Deinlein (email first initial then lastname @lycoming.com)

Thanks Bill! I'll start there. I'll also checkout Electroair.

Custom machined flywheel

Bill Genevro from Airflow Systems makes billet flywheels, then he ships it to Klaus so he can drill the mounting holes for the direct crank sensor wheel.
It's black anodized billet aluminum. Thing of beauty!
Klaus recommended me to go that route and it worked out great!

Lenny

Back