What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540 D4A5 install of FS1-14B

WrightsRV7

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed the rear mount plane power alternator, FS1-14B, on the current Lycoming engine sold through Vans, the YIO-540 D4A5?
Thanks, Mike

Yup. I have the FS1-14B, and I know of at least one other RV10 with it. Both of us have it on the stock Van's new IO-540. Very tight to the oil filter, but no issues.

great news, thanks

Thanks Ed, good to hear that from two now, so heading down that road for sure. It will be my only and primary, a bit different than most are doing. Amazing what you can do with 5-10 amps in todays avionics and lighting world...:)

The big concern I would have is not just running those 5-10 amps, but running them at the same time as charging the battery after start which I believe you want to accomplish as quickly and efficiently as possible.

There's tenacity in capacity

I have the C4B5 which I believe is physically identical, as Ed says, it firs, it's gonna make the oil filter tighter to get to, but. Is what it is.
I also, have the. Plane Power 70amp alternator as my main. With a fully electronic plane, I erred on the side of caution. Couldn't hurt to have a few extra electrons running around.

Help with the jargon!

So guys, I've admittedly not researched the options here so the C4B5 might as well be R2D2.

But my question is more from a system perspective -
What makes the rear mount plane power alternator (FS1-14B) so desirable that you'd put up with an apparent maintenance headache? Is this just because of the IO-540 D4A5?
I'm curious of the pros/cons.

I'm not far from these decisions in my build, so I'd like to make a note for the future.

So guys, I've admittedly not researched the options here so the C4B5 might as well be R2D2.

But my question is more from a system perspective -
What makes the rear mount plane power alternator (FS1-14B) so desirable that you'd put up with an apparent maintenance headache? Is this just because of the IO-540 D4A5?
I'm curious of the pros/cons.

I'm not far from these decisions in my build, so I'd like to make a note for the future.

I believe that most that are mounting an alternator on the vacuum pad, be it a PlanePower or B&C, are doing so as a backup alternator to a primary, belt driven unit -- that's what I did (primary is a 70 amp unit with a FS1-14 as a backup).

The discussion about the differences between engine models is simply one of adequate clearance as there tends to be slight differences in the external location of bolt holes and other features could possibly induce inference with an accessory in one model but not the next. Case in point, I have a C4B5 and had to modify the stock baffle kit designed for the D4A5 in a couple of places to get it to work. Internally the C4B5 and D4A5 are the same--both will produce 260HP at 2700RPM.

Last edited:
amp draw after start..

It is a good point after start, the draw can be significant. I have always hooked my amp meter to measure current going to the battery versus total alternator out put (bat + accessories). Albeit a smaller battery/engine in the 7 (O-360/PC680), the amps to the battery after a start stayed well under 10 and usually for just a min or two max were they above 5 amps. Of course one good hot day in the Mojave desert with an engine hot-start....there may be a lot more amps going to the bigger battery:) If this was an irreversible decision I would not think twice about installing both up front. All of your thoughts/advice are well taken and I appreciate them.

Thanks Ed, good to hear that from two now, so heading down that road for sure. It will be my only and primary, a bit different than most are doing. Amazing what you can do with 5-10 amps in todays avionics and lighting world...:)

I also have that setup. No problems. Tight, but no problems.
I have the 60amp and the 30 as my backup. With everything but heated pitot tube on I come in at 18 amps. (3 screen G3x, 650, VPX....)

Can someone post a picture of their FS-14 clearance with respect to the oil filter?

I don't have a pic but can tell you there's something like 3/32, maybe less, between the two. That said I've had no issues changing the filter due to the proximity of the FS1 nor did I have any issues installing the alternator due to the oil filter with one exception: the lower left hand nut (from the pilot's seat) is a royal pain to tighten.

I don't have a pic but can tell you there's something like 3/32, maybe less, between the two. That said I've had no issues changing the filter due to the proximity of the FS1 nor did I have any issues installing the alternator due to the oil filter with one exception: the lower left hand nut (from the pilot's seat) is a royal pain to tighten.

The same issue exists with the B&C alternator too.

I highly recommend getting the B&C oil filter adapter (or a competitive product). Access to that offending nut is much easier, not to mention that it makes changing the oil filter a no brainer too. I wish I installed it before I mounted the engine. Installing it two years after the first flight is a PITA.

bob

Back