What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inside Delivery fee?

NavyS3BNFO

Well Known Member
Has anyone else been charged extra for “inside delivery” of a kit? I received my finish kit and had the delivery driver move it on the pallet Jack just inside my garage. I’ve done that with the wing and fuselage kits as well. I just received an additional bill from XPO Logistics for $140 for the inside delivery fee. That’s after I wrote a check for the $1,477 normal delivery fee. At no time during the delivery process did the driver mention the additional fee and I’ve never been charged anything extra for the other two kits.

I’m just trying to figure out where to go from here. I’m definitely going to call XPO Logistics but also wondering if Vans has any leverage with the company or am I at their mercy. And if anyone else has run into this. Like I said it’s a new one for me.

Similar with old d freight line, though I got it waived. I had the same thing wasn’t told, and actually the paperwork was forged, so I called them out on that. I did get one official letter of overdue, but have an email response from the manger that it’s been taken care of, and nothing since.

Paid extra for lift gate service. Kits were unloaded and left at the entrance to my driveway. I think that’s standard. As is employing kamakaze fork lift drivers.

I was not charged anything like this. The delivery guy did a lot of extra work getting it into my shop. Honestly if I was a better person I would have tipped him 40 bucks or so but i rarely have cash.

I was not charged anything like this. The delivery guy did a lot of extra work getting it into my shop. Honestly if I was a better person I would have tipped him 40 bucks or so but i rarely have cash.

I always keep a small "stash" in my safe for just this kind of thing.

The best deal I've had with shipping was my UL Power engine. Belgium to my door $300. The lady driver came with a lift gate and powered pallet jack. She asked where I wanted it, and put it on that exact spot. The crate was beautiful and without a scratch. She did receive a good tip!

Last edited:
I'm with Mel

I'm OK with varous fees, I guess. My irritation is not knowing the fees in advance.

Cheers,
Mike

Unannounced bill for an amount that wasn't agreed to in advance? I have a trash can for that.

It is my understanding the standard in the industry is for LTL deliveries to be to the back of the truck. The customer is responsible for offloading.
They ask for advance notice if you need a liftgate and charge extra.
They also usually charge extra for delivery to a residential address.
Asking the driver to move it inside is outside the contract with the shipper.
If I remember correctly Vans paperwork stated I would need to have enough help to unload myself. Most drivers are kind enough to help.

Dock delivery

Save some money. Ask for Dock Delivery. Specify the warehouse. Rent a truck if you don't have one.
You are in control. If the shipment looks questionable, no one can say anything because you never touched it. They typically load it for you.
At the house, use a dolly to lift one end and slip a four wheel dolly underneath. Strap it tight. Repeat on the opposite end. If it's really steep, just one dolly in front. The rear will slide and keep it from going too fast. Use a rope or come-along to let the crate down the ramps.
None of my kits or engine were delivered to our house. All done by me and my Sweetie.

Dock pickup

Picked all my kits up at the trucking company’s hub/depot, they load it on my trailer, and off I go with no extra fees.

Back