What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is turbo an option in the RV10?

BrianP

Still waiting for the first part of my kit to arrive. I haven’t seen an RV10 anywhere with a turbocharger. Is that even possible?

As you know, or should know, Vans strongly discourages turbo charging. Down low, there’s little gain. Up high, a turbo might inadvertently exceed Vne, which Vans specifies as a true airspeed.

As you know, or should know, Vans strongly discourages turbo charging. Down low, there’s little gain. Up high, a turbo might inadvertently exceed Vne, which Vans specifies as a true airspeed.

Is this because of flutter? Do you know if flutter is known to be a significant issue in the RV10 or has it just never been tested?

Is this because of flutter? Do you know if flutter is known to be a significant issue in the RV10 or has it just never been tested?

If you get flutter, it will be a significant issue. The pieces take a long time to reach the ground from 18,000 feet...

It can be done but you need to be fully aware of the TAS limitations at altitude that turbocharging brings. It's not the best idea to be sifting along at 190-200 knots up there and hit any sort of turbulence or inadvertently lower the nose a bit without reducing MAP.

The cost, complexity, weight, extra maintenance and potential cooling issues are probably not worth it on a -10. A good atmo 540 with slightly higher CR and ported heads will produce over 290hp and drive you along at 170-175 knots. The performance is quite adequate up to 17,500 without a turbo.

Interested more in options than in speed

I've read through the article reposted by Desert Rat and it makes a compelling case. Bottom line is that TAS limits can't be violated.

However, speed is not the only reason for a turbo. My mission profile will involve flights in the Pacific NW westward over the Cascades and eastbound over the Rockies. Destinations include high plains locales like Laramie, Cheyenne, & Fort Collins as well as stops to the west (like the mother ship - KUAO).

In the winter, it would be great to have the option to climb out of inadvertant ice instead of just descending. Not looking for FIKI - just insurance.

Also, density altitudes are getting higher these summers...particularly in the high plains.

For me, the takeaway is...if you turbo, be careful up high - fly smart and consider TAS and flutter when you set your power. Just the same as you would be in a turbocharged 182 or Bonanza, right?

Thoughts? I'm not an aero engineer, so I could be missing something...(be bold but humble).

I've read through the article reposted by Desert Rat and it makes a compelling case. Bottom line is that TAS limits can't be violated.

However, speed is not the only reason for a turbo. My mission profile will involve flights in the Pacific NW westward over the Cascades and eastbound over the Rockies. Destinations include high plains locales like Laramie, Cheyenne, & Fort Collins as well as stops to the west (like the mother ship - KUAO).

In the winter, it would be great to have the option to climb out of inadvertant ice instead of just descending. Not looking for FIKI - just insurance.

Also, density altitudes are getting higher these summers...particularly in the high plains.

For me, the takeaway is...if you turbo, be careful up high - fly smart and consider TAS and flutter when you set your power. Just the same as you would be in a turbocharged 182 or Bonanza, right?

Thoughts? I'm not an aero engineer, so I could be missing something...(be bold but humble).

I think you will likely find the performance of the -10 even without a turbo is very good.

Not really worth the added weight, complexity, etc., in my opinion...and flutter is bad.

Welcome to VAF

Ron, welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

The 10 has a pretty good performance as is, have you ever flown one?

I do most of my long x-c's at 14 or 15K and easilly get 165 Ktas at a bit over 9 GPH. Pretty sure I could easilly get 170 if I threw more gas at it and have all confidence that I would still be getting close to 165 at 18000' That is with a stock 540 and should leave plenty of margin to get over the rockies, at least on moderate wind days. Climbing out of ice at those altitudes is a different matter. Ice at 14K is no small risk, as usually the layers are pretty thick and wide spread up there. Not sure I would go on top of ice at those altitudes. Big risk, small gain.

Last edited:
I do most of my long x-c's at 14 or 15K and easilly get 165 Ktas at a bit over 9 GPH. Pretty sure I could easilly get 170 if I threw more gas at it and have all confidence that I would still be getting close to 165 at 18000' That is with a stock 540 and should leave plenty of margin to get over the rockies, at least on moderate wind days. Climbing out of ice at those altitudes is a different matter. Ice at 14K is no small risk, as usually the layers are pretty thick and wide spread up there. Not sure I would go on top of ice at those altitudes. Big risk, small gain.
+1
Same here. I’m limited to 18,000’ (basic med, cannula for O2) and there’s no problem climbing or cruising up there, although TAS is a bit higher a little lower. Keep in mind that everything snowballs: if you plan to use a turbo, you’ll burn more gas, so you’ll want extended range tanks. But if you fill them, you probably have to leave a passenger behind. Edit: I forgot to mention, you may also have to add cowl flaps. Otherwise you can't use that extra power up high without excessive CHTs.

Last edited:
Back