What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Continental IO-370 Exhaust

rph142

Well Known Member
I ordered a Titan IOX-370 for my rv-7 and was wondering if anyone can recommend an exhaust that will fit. A 4 into 2 setup would be ideal.

Thanks,
Rob

I ordered a Titan IOX-370 for my rv-7 and was wondering if anyone can recommend an exhaust that will fit. A 4 into 2 setup would be ideal.

Thanks,
Rob

My first thought would be to check out/call vetterman. I would think an exhaust for the 360 would fit perfectly since it’s basically a clone except cylinders. But, that’s just a guess since I haven’t done a deep dive in measuring/comparing.

My first thought would be to check out/call vetterman. I would think an exhaust for the 360 would fit perfectly since it’s basically a clone except cylinders. But, that’s just a guess since I haven’t done a deep dive in measuring/comparing.

Got my 370 cross-over exhaust from vetterman. Let him know if you're running a james cowl, he has to tweak it a little bit to clear.

if you have the Titan cold air sump, the only Vetterman option is a 4-pipe built just for that configuration.

Thanks for the insight! I'm running both the cold air sump and James cowl, so it looks like a call to Vetterman is in order.

I have a Titan IO 370 with a cold air sump and a Vetterman 4 into 2 exhaust. It fits very nicely but I had to make a custom throttle cable bracket to fit under the sump (can post pics if you wish). There may be such a bracket available.

Nick,
Any pics would be greatly appreciated. Especially any cowl to engine clearance related issues or custom baffle mods you ran into.

Thanks,
Rob

Nick,
Any pics would be greatly appreciated. Especially any cowl to engine clearance related issues or custom baffle mods you ran into.

Thanks,
Rob

I haven't gotten to the cowl yet and have just started on the baffles. Last pic is from the Russ LaValle and Bill Repucci document titled "Tapered_Cylinder_Baffle_Extensions_Continental-ECi.pdf" for modifying the Van's baffle kit to fit tapered cylinders. I can send you a copy if you can't find it. The throttle cable bracket is custom made. If there's a similar cable bracket available for $18 or so please don't tell me.

Attachments

• exhaust_01.jpg
    exhaust_01.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 57
  • exhaust_02.jpg
    exhaust_02.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 59
  • exhaust_03.jpg
    exhaust_03.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 45
  • exhaust_04.jpg
    exhaust_04.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 48
  • exhaust_05.jpg
    exhaust_05.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 43
Initially the gap between the #2 exhaust tube and the sam james cowl was <3/8". That's the wife's finger in the picture showing how close it was. We could have added a small blister to the cowl, but in the end sent the exhaust back to Vetterman for some "tweaking". I'm not sure exactly what he did, but when it came back, the gap there was increased from 1/4-3/8" up to 1/2-3/4". I haven't seen any discoloration or warping in that section of the cowl, so I assume we have enough clearance now.

We ended up using the show planes throttle/mixture bracket (https://showplanes.com/ecom-prodshow/TMC-04S.html). It's $58, not $18 if that makes you feel any better. This has to be installed before the exhaust because there isn't enough clearance to get the bolts in afterwards (ask me how I know). We also just used adel clamps with the rubber removed to hold the cables in place and had to do a little bending of the bracket in order to get full throw out of the throttle body. You can ignore the 2nd throttle cable, we installed dual quadrants so you won't have to deal with the 2nd cable. And yes, the non-lock nut was replaced with the proper hardware. This was for mock-up only. The bubble headed bolts holding the throttle bracket on were also replaced with drilled hex heads so we could safety wire them in place.

We also found out later in the build, that you can't run this exhaust, a half-raven or inverted oil system, and an oil quick drain valve. You get to pick 2 of the 3. The NPT fittings in the bottom of the cold air sump only allow for 1 of them to be used with anything except the provided NPT plug and still clear the cross-over tube on the exhaust. We ended up running the half-raven return and giving up on the quick-drain oil valve. It's not so bad to remove the NPT fitting for every oil change, but it is a little messy.

Attachments

• PXL_20210829_201754163.jpg
    PXL_20210829_201754163.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
These are really helpful pics. I have major firewall envy now! I'm waiting to hear back from vetterman about the 2 into one and any required mods.

Nick, I'd be curious about your performance numbers as I have the exact same accessories specified for my engine.

Back