What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control column travel, pg. 36-13

SabreFlyr

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks/suggestions for filing or sanding the bearing bracket assemblies to increase travel. I'm 0.8° away on the down/forward side and 2.4° away on the up/aft end. I've only been working on the up/aft side filing with a needle file off and on for over an hour and I've gained only 0.7° and I'm not sure some of that isn't just in my cheap digital level.

Access on the down/forward side isn't going to be easy (not that the other side is). Glad I don't have as far to go there.

Not gonna say it was easy, but I used a strip of relatively coarse sandpaper (maybe 60 grit?) and pulled it through, holding a little pressure using the control stick. Probably took off an angstrom or two with each pull . . . :rolleyes: You’ll get there eventually.

I did the same thing as MED and it worked fine. But I also want to remind you that first you will need to make sure the travel range has been done on the elevator itself. Once that is done, then you will do the control column.

I did the same thing as MED and it worked fine. But I also want to remind you that first you will need to make sure the travel range has been done on the elevator itself. Once that is done, then you will do the control column.

That sounds like a better technique than the needle file. And, thanks for the needed reminder. My empennage is not attached at this time. Don't mind putting off this task until I see if it's necessary.

That sounds like a better technique than the needle file. And, thanks for the needed reminder. My empennage is not attached at this time. Don't mind putting off this task until I see if it's necessary.
Good plan as the elevator must be all installed and connected to the control stick.

Back