What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any tricks for drawing a canter line down a length of J channel?

RV-Ogler

Any tricks for drawing a center line down a length of J channel?

The plans say to draw a center line down a 6’ length of J channel. I’m trying to imagine a tool I could make that would allow me to make this quick and easy. Anyone here have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hinge

Use a small piece of hinge. Use one side, drill hole for sharpie correct distance from knuckles. Hook knuckles on edge of channel, insert sharpie, slide hinge along edge of channel. Perfect line every time…

Simple method

I use a small carpenters square that has an adjustable rule to mark a series of dots the required distance from the edge and then join them up with a 24 inch straight edge. Takes less than a minute to do.
Previously tried more complex setups that needed three hands to work but found that simple works best, for me.

You could also eyeball the center, use your finger along the edge to brace your ultra fine marker, and drag the edge. It’s very accurate and fast.

Attachments

• Edge marker block.jpg
    Edge marker block.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 114
Carpenters square

Used this tool often.

Attachments

• DB1510EA-88E8-45DF-8395-E7F5E372E414.jpeg
    DB1510EA-88E8-45DF-8395-E7F5E372E414.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 122
I made this about 30 years ago when working on the 4 from stuff I had on hand. Fits the fine point Sharpie. The square tube is hollow. Crude, by amazingly effective.
I use it all…the… time.
Use a caliper to set the edge distance and run it down the edge.

Attachments

• 039CAD0B-CCB9-4F22-93F1-7E1FF785ECA1.jpeg
    039CAD0B-CCB9-4F22-93F1-7E1FF785ECA1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 150
I ended up using a scrap piece of J channel. Then located the hole by laying it over the actual J channel and center punching the scrap through where the plans had me drill a hole on the 6’ length. Then drilled a 1/16” hole on the scrap.

Slide the scrap J channel along the work piece w a fine tip sharpie in the 1/16” hole

Like this Idea

I ended up using a scrap piece of J channel. Then located the hole by laying it over the actual J channel and center punching the scrap through where the plans had me drill a hole on the 6’ length. Then drilled a 1/16” hole on the scrap.

Slide the scrap J channel along the work piece w a fine tip sharpie in the 1/16” hole

Alright, Seth, we're gonna try this one. Thanks for posting!

Mike

Back