What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH 2023

Kmdpilot

Basic question. How do those that don't fly themselves in bring the cost of attendance down? Looking at hotels and it is crazy expensive even for a motel 6. That doesn't even include airfare. From Oregon it is literally $1300 round trip per person. Basically, for a few days there, rental car, food, airfare and misc, looking at $4-5k for 2 people. Not sure why it is so expensive to fly to the midwest. No wonder they call it fly over country, its too expensive to stop. Cheaper to fly coast to coast than to stop in the midwest.

I got a round trip quote from Alaskan Airlines from Seatac to Milwaukee nonstop roundtrip departing 07/22/22 returning following Friday for 950, three days before departure.

I imagine that the price would be less if booked in advance.

Cant help you with hotels, but there are alternatives like the University.

A

I guess you could fly somewhere within a few hours drive of Osh (wherever is cheapest), get a rental car, ship camping gear which you could pickup at the GES service center between hangars A & C, and camp in Scholler. That’s probably the cheapest option unless you can get in with someone looking to share expenses on an RV (trailer trailer) or house rental/AirBnB.

Perhaps a change of focus

I can't help with the expenses, but perhaps a change of focus might "psychologically" help. I've been to KOSH probably 28 times in 35 years, live 8 hrs. away, and drive in.

My wife and I stay in the Sheboygan area. Yes, its an hour drive, but the ride to and fro gives me a leg rest anyway. We go to EAA for a day or two, take a day off, and walk Lake Michigan at the beaches/harbor. Go another day and then hop up to Door County for some shopping. Breaks up the trip, and gives a nice rest. Besides, how many times can you ride the yellow tram anyway...?

There is a lot to do in that part of Wisconsin. There are some nice towns, sites, and great restaurants. Accommodations are more plentiful and cheaper a little farther away. We did buy a small motorhome last year, and this was the first year camping on Lake Michigan. Worked great, but I know that is not applicable to your position/question about cost.

If you simply want to go to Airventure from opening bell to close at night every day, my post isn't worth much......but if you are trying to make a well rounded enjoyable vacation, stay farther away and break it up a little. Just my 0.02. Thanks.

Last edited:
Osh

That's why we stopped going. First trip was fun. $50 night. 2nd trip we stayed closer. Not much more, close and wonderful salt water pool. Two years on that hotel. Next year was a massive price increase. We called it quits. Even hotels 100 miles away were too much. Kinda sad.

Fly into Appleton. Bus goes from airport to EAA. School bus to dorm .Dorm room at the University. Eat at the university or a nearby walk. Bus pass for the week.

Last few trips, Appleton bus people had locked storage at the EAA bus loop that you could leave your stuff the day you arrive and get at the end of the day when headed to dorms. Same when you head back to Appleton

Pay attention to check in times at the dorms.

Short of sleeping in a tent at EAA, this is the cheapest way to go.... You do not need a car.

Info here.... https://uwosh.edu/gcc/eaa-airventure-lodging/

2022 rates here.... https://uwosh.edu/gcc/eaa-airventure-lodging/reservations-and-rates/

Last edited:
Save your money

Save your money until you can fly there yourself, I did the same.
There is nothing in Oshkosh that you cannot find elsewhere and with you in Oregon, you can visit Van and browse all the Rv's until your heart's content.
When you do eventually get to fly your own RV-14?? the cost of flying will probably not be less but much more fun and rewarding.
If you end up not building an airplane, I would spend the money at least once in your life to visit Airventure.

My wife an I stayed in Appleton for this years show. Stayed 5 nights and went to show 3 days.
Easy drive to show. BUT, motel was $279.00 a night.
Now to schedule 2023. My wife already reserve a hotel in Appleton with pool for only $169.00 and we'll stay for 4 nights.
Goin to drive from Battle Ground Washington cause we are going to go through Canada on the way there and the southern states on the way back. Three weeks probably.
Only thing I hate about traveling is the motel air conditioners.
We only stay in plus rated motel too. None of them Motel 6's for me.
It did cost $800.00 in gas, But, we were on the trip for 19 days
A different perspective. But then I'm retired and have time on my hands.
Art

Cost of transportation from your home to Oshkosh and back... if time isn't an issue, drive to bring that cost down... of course increase in time demands is the penalty. The absolute least expensive way I think is to drive and camp. I was alone so easy breezy. Have a spouse to consider and that alone may require a change of plans. Sometimes women don't like the common showers and porta potties, (although I'd rate the common shower/porta potty experiences at Osh as the best anywhere. They keep everything pumped and very clean IMO). Driving from the gulf coast each time I've been and camped at Scholler in my tent. Cost this year I think was about 30 a night. I also eat very little inside the show or in town. I bring my own food. My total expense this year was very reasonable. The experience of camping is wonderful too. Tent, sleeping bag, cool dry breeze most of the time and visiting with fellow campers.

Sure does seem like a lot of $$$ to use Porta-Potties and save 10% on your Aircraft Spruce order....

-Marc

Fly PDX-MSP (nonstop) ($500 rt), rent a car, 4:30 drive time. MSP is out of the heavy Oshkosh traffic.
Fly PDX-ATW ($670 rt)
Fares are for June 2023 (July fares are not available yet)
Stay in the dorms, share a house, or camp in Camp Scholler.
I've checked my camping gear in one large duffel bag.

Lots of great replies. Thanks! Didnt even know about the dorms. Was looking at trying for Appleton or Green Bay and drive in. I'm used to long Drives anywhere living in Central Oregon. I think Wisconsin has the right idea. Make it expensive and hard to get flights to. It seems everyone in the country can get to Bend, OR pretty easily. ;).

Last edited:
I have family in Madison and fly in multiple times a year to visit. I know the UW home football weekends because plane tickets are 50% more expensive and hotel rooms are 100%+ more expensive. Wisconsin isn't exactly a tourist hotbed, so there really isn't an incentive to build a ton of hotel rooms in most cities. If there's one- or a handful- of big events per year they just jack the prices way up. I haven't been to Oshkosh yet (for Airventure, at least- I did take a sheet metal course there) but probably won't go until my plane is finished and I can camp...

Getting to OSH

Basic question. How do those that don't fly themselves in bring the cost of attendance down? Looking at hotels and it is crazy expensive even for a motel 6. That doesn't even include airfare. From Oregon it is literally $1300 round trip per person. Basically, for a few days there, rental car, food, airfare and misc, looking at $4-5k for 2 people. Not sure why it is so expensive to fly to the midwest. No wonder they call it fly over country, its too expensive to stop. Cheaper to fly coast to coast than to stop in the midwest.

Hmmm....There has been some good advice here as well as some not so good. This was my 35th year volunteering at OSH and, even after all the times I have spent there, enjoyed the whole time I was there (nearly 2 weeks). We flew in this year but there are years that we drive from the Denver area, a long one day or easy two day trip. Being volunteers, we have been camping in the same area for decades, in the Vintage area. There are a few of us who camp in Scholler as well. A few live in the dorms. There are also people who share rent on one of the houses available. We live in a Cabela's 6 man tent, which are one of the best available. With so many of us coming from the Denver area, we pack everything we need into a van and trade off who gets to drive the van there. Some of us pack everything we need, including dehydrated meals (backpacking meals) that we use when we don't leave the field: some days, especially with the night airshow, can get pretty long. There are places to eat on the field but can be a little pricy. There are also ways to get into town.

There are also cheaper ways to fly from Oregon to OSH but don't go direct. We have meetings there throughout the year and book flights several months in advance, usually less than $300 round trip off season. Booking now will likely be pretty pricy as fares are UP. We fly into Chicago or Milwaukee and rent a car to drive the rest of the way. Last Spring it was MKE. Renting a car sooner than later can help. You will then have wheels to go to town, if needed.

This is WAY more than a 10% discount and PortaPotties. It is an amazing adventure that ANY one interested in flying should attend at least once. This year there were over 10,000 airplanes. Everything you have seen in books, heard about or dreamed of, there is likely an example of it to be seen at OSH. The U2 this year was pretty cool. As well as the F-35A floating around. Walking around all the Vintage, Custom, IAC and Warbirds is an experience you will not soon forget. And you cannot do that in one day. Ever seen a FLYING example of a German Bf 109G-6? You could have stood two feet away from that amazing restoration! F7F Tigercat? Could have stood under the wing. Waco Cabin Biplane? Could have talked to the pilot and probably taken a tour inside. Seen 8 Howard DGAs all in one place? Know what a Howard 500 is? You would have seen one fly there. And on and on.

Bottom line: 600,000 people found a way to get there this year. Most did not fly in. Is OSH for everyone? No. Sometimes once is enough. For some of us, we can't get enough. I'll be there again next year. If you would like to really have fun, volunteer!

You will find a less expensive way to get and stay there. There will likely be reams of advice on this forum. Hope to see you there next year!

Last edited:
Well, even flying in doesn't make the OSH experience so much cheaper... shelled out $469 for HBC and entry for the week, 1 aircraft, 1 person. As a lifetime member +.
Having stayed at Johnson Creek heaven campground 2 weeks before, found EAA's HBC $30 a night rather steep. N.B. for a unusable Wifi, smelly showers, etc.

Been my 17th year at OSH, first time flying in with my own bird after having crossed the NAT. I very much doubt ever returning to OSH, as every visit ends up in a disappointment. Observations (rant for others) over.

One thing that makes Oshkosh, or Air Venture if you insist, shine above all, is the volunteers!
All over these years I have observed cohorts of those dedicated Women and Men, and I'd like to salute them once more :cool: Firm but courteous, friendly, highly motivated, efficient, organised, and many a better adjective. I salute and deeply respect all of you volunteers, thanks!!!

Marian University Fond du Lac Dorms

There is definitely more to Osh than a few discounts.

I've stayed in the dorms at Marian University Fond du Lac twice. I flew into Chicago Midway, rented a car and drove to Fond du Lac and Airventure. Of course that was several years ago when car rentals were reasonable.

Regards,
Brad

.....as every visit ends up in a disappointment.....

I find that to be a curious statement, especially for someone who's been 17 times. I get the rants--we've all got had issues here and there one time or another, be it conditions, weather, prices, etc. However disappointment is a new one for me. I don't suppose you'd care to elaborate? No judgement, I'm just curious is all.

No worries Todd, I use the word disappointment, as in its meaning Sadness or displeasure caused by the non-fulfilment of one's hopes or expectations.

I won't go into details, since as you state, all of us probably "had issues", though I sure wouldn't blame any on the weather as all my my expectations were always met, good or bad :)
But the whole show has lost most of its spice and interest, albeit grown into an overcrowded fatty commercial farce.
Expecting better but experiencing worse won't do for me, thanks.

Not to drift into politics, so this will be my last post on this subject ;)

Valley Christian School

I have found the best/least expensive place to stay is at the Valley Christian School. Lower cost than the University and price includes breakfast and multiple bus rides to/from AirVenture five miles away. Air conditioned. Family atmosphere. No minimum number of nights. You see the same people every year. They even supply bag chairs and snacks to take to the show each day.

Back