What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ForeFlight traffic alerting my own aircraft

ljsflash

My uAvionix Echo SkyFYX sometimes displays my own aircraft as traffic a mile or two away. I have received Traffic Alerts on ForeFlight when I’m the only one in the area.
I have a Garmin GTX 327 with the EchoUAT.
Has anyone else had this happen?

LJ

55CFD473-DDB1-447D-94A9-B1CB0EF48EF3.jpeg
Disregard the red circle. My N number (N109RD) is represented here as another plane a couple miles in front of present position.

Last edited:
My uAvionix Echo SkyFYX sometimes displays my own aircraft as traffic a mile or two away. I have received Traffic Alerts on ForeFlight when I’m the only one in the area.
I have a Garmin GTX 375 with the EchoUAT.
Has anyone else had this happen?

LJ

View attachment 22741
Disregard the red circle. My N number (N109RD) is represented here as another plane a couple miles in front of present position.
LJ,

Never heard of a GTX 375. Do you have a Garmin GNX 375?

A GNX 375 provides ADS-B In/Out including connection to Foreflight for display of traffic/weather, so I don't understand the reason for having any uAvionix stuff in your plane.

Steve

LJ,

Never heard of a GTX 375. Do you have a Garmin GNX 375?

A GNX 375 provides ADS-B In/Out including connection to Foreflight for display of traffic/weather, so I don't understand the reason for having any uAvionix stuff in your plane.

Steve

Sorry! GTX 327 is what I have now in the DR-109 and in the RV-8. I had the GNX 375 in the Super Decathlon and never had this issue.

Try updating the ownship (your N#) information in whatever display you are using. Your uAvionix Echo UAT is transmitting an ADS-B OUT signal that is being heard, and (sometimes) repeated by FAA ADS-B Ground stations (called TIS-B). The FAA repeats your ADS-B data as TIS-B to increase the range at which you are detected. This also helps others see you on their ADS-B IN monitors if there is an obstruction (like a mountain) that is keeping you from receiving each other's direct transmissions. By the time your Echo transmits the position, and it gets repeated back as a TIS-B message and received by your EchoUAT, there is a delay (which is why it shows a ghost of you behind yourself).

Properly enabling the ownship filter in your display will filter out your own N#.

Back