What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-X and the new Van's flap motor

cjensen

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

I wanted to post some info on the use of the VP-X and the new Van's flap motor with the integrated position sensor. Peter has had several calls on this lately, and he made me aware of the new flap motor that Van's began offering back in September, I believe. We were unaware of the new flap motor with integrated position info until just a couple of weeks ago, and some of the specs that we were given initially seemed to be out of spec/not compatible with the VP-X. I do apologize if a few of you were told that it wouldn't work with the VP-X...that was info from me, not Peter...after doing some additional research, reaching out to Van's, and Ray Allen to get their specs on the POS-12, we have found that the new Van's flap motor does appear to indeed work with the VP-X.

The 5 volt reference voltage threw us off to begin with as the VP-X is using 0-2.5 volts for the reference voltage to give position information from the potentiometer. So we reached out to Ray Allen and learned that the POS-12 is a 0-10v potentiometer, and that the VP-X only uses the 0-2.5v range. After 9 years of supporting the VP-X...I did not know this (the POS-12 0-10v range).

So, with the new Van's flap motor with the integrated 5 volt position reference voltage, this does appear on paper that it will work without issue with the VP-X. I say on paper because we don't have the flap motor to test, but there shouldn't be any issues with configuring the flaps with the new Van's flap motor/position reference.

Feel free to contact Peter with any questions, and I'll help if/when I need to.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
RV-12iS flap motor

I was one of those people asking. I will get hooked up next week and report back on its success vs failure. Thanks

Back