What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wash and Wax

Build9A

Well Known Member
What are some of the best products for washing and waxing your painted airplane?
thanks, Jack

Turtle Wax

I have tried everything that I could think of. (that was safe for the paint) Simple Green's Aircraft Cleaner, Aero Wash & Wax, every aircraft cleaner that Sporty's sells. Nothing I have used works as well as Turtle Wax in the spray bottle it takes the bugs and oil off and leaves a very smooth slick surface. Bugs don't stick as well and the aircraft never needs waxing. Its relatively cheap and can be bought at Walmart.

I use a carwash soap like Blue Coral or Turtlewax and use a spray wax like McGuires mist detailer. If I've really gone nuts, I'll give it a paste wax. I did that once so far before the plane was final assembled. I may do it again this winter.

I like Novus # 1 for keeping the canopy clean.

Roberta

Rejex

If the surface is free of wax you can use Rejex. I have never seen anything like it for getting bugs and dirt to just slide off with a little water and no pressure in the wiping. You only need to use it on leading edges. I also use it on my windshield, but be sure to follow the directions exactly. It gives the plastic terrific clarity.
h

Plain old water and NuFinish

If you have a clearcoat be very careful with the products you use for keeping you plane shiney. I never use anything but plain old water for washing and "NuFinish" in the orange bottle or can for shining it up. The only small discrepancy is the white powery deposit in seams and around rivet heads. Round toothpicks work fairly well if it is bothersome.

Bob Axsom

Bob Axsom said:
If you have a clearcoat be very careful with the products you use for keeping you plane shiney. I never use anything but plain old water for washing and "NuFinish" in the orange bottle or can for shining it up. The only small discrepancy is the white powery deposit in seams and around rivet heads. Round toothpicks work fairly well if it is bothersome.

Bob Axsom

One trick I learned from a Porsche concourse prep workshop is to save all your old toothbrushes and use them to brush the white residue left in seams after waxing (a deduction in points during a concourse show). They are soft enough to not damage expensive paint, but just stiff enough to reach in hard to get at places and sweep the junk out. Works especially well in getting the wax residue out of the raised lettering on most cars (luckily we dont have to worry about that on planes).

A little off-subject....

Although there isn't a tremendous amount of rubber or plastic on an RV, have you ever had the residual wax on your vehicle that turns white on the plastic (black plastic, especially)?

Needless to say, tremendous scrubbing usually does nothing to remove it. I found a solution years ago, while searching the Internet.

Don't laugh, it works: creamy peanut butter!

I have black flares around the wheel wells of my '03 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4. After having the truck detailed, there was a small amount of white wax residue on the flares. The peanut butter worked wonders- took it right off!

Although my neighbors thought I was an idiot, out in the driveway smearing peanut butter on my new truck! :eek:

Back