What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will Call Crating

BOHICA

Well Known Member
Anyone have pictures of what a QB (Wings), QB (Fuse) and Finishing kit look like all boxed up for a will call pickup at the mothership. I have the crate size and weight sheet. But I would like to see some pictures to make sure my trailer will work.

They have sizes on the website for each crate. It's unlikely that you will be able to pick up everyone in one go; they just ship things as it's ready and you have to pick up the same way. Hopefully you get lucky and the finish kit is ready at the same time as the QB kits.

They have sizes on the website for each crate. It's unlikely that you will be able to pick up everyone in one go; they just ship things as it's ready and you have to pick up the same way. Hopefully you get lucky and the finish kit is ready at the same time as the QB kits.

I have someone pickup up and bringing each to hanger at KHIO then I make one trip to KHIO. As stated, I have the size and weight sheet. But that does not comprehend everything about how mothership crates. The size and weight sheet provides no indication of what to expect if you ship via Stewart which I expect is on the minimalist side of crating and "Will Call" which I would expect is on the high end of crating level.

Pictures also convey the labeling. This end up, Don't push here. Keep cat out of box...

No Box

When I did my will call pick up several years ago there were no boxes. I got a LOT of parts "in the raw" and put them in the truck as best I could fit them.
I suspect things have changed a bit in the passing years.

BOHICA! We used that acronym quite a bit throughout my Marine Corps career. When I saw that call sign, it brought back a lot of memories. I must assume you know what it means, and would love to hear some stories. Not to deflect this thread...

Same as what BH said. . .

Check to see if will call QB's are crated or not.
When I picked up RV-7 QB over a decade ago, crew did a great job of loading the QB parts into a U-Haul van. Bring pads and rope. No pics.
QB fuse was strapped to a pallet and all small parts were in the fuse canoe.
Non crated QB saves space.

Same as what BH said. . .

Check to see if will call QB's are crated or not.
When I picked up RV-7 QB over a decade ago, crew did a great job of loading the QB parts into a U-Haul van. Bring pads and rope. No pics.
QB fuse was strapped to a pallet and all small parts were in the fuse canoe.
Non crated QB saves space.

Already called and verified crating. Bringing a
74" TALL
68" WIDE
149" LONG
enclosed trailer.

If parts are loose, I would make two short side walls and place them along the side of the trailer ( maybe 3 or 4 ft high). Then I would make a floor that would bridge the walls. I would remove the floor at Van’s, load the bigger/ heavier items on the floor first. Slide the temporary floor back on top of the short walls and stack the remainder on the top floor. If picked up quick build components then I would build the walls high enough to clear the assemblies.

I got a will call fuse a while ago (like 2 yrs) and I just picked up a finish kit. No option for crating, I was told they are all crated the same in both cases. I don't have pics, but both were crated using plywood and 2x4 constructed boxes of the dimensions shown on the website. No markings for this side up or anything else other than my name and kit type.

Tim

Will call images

I have picked up all of my kits (will call) and have pictures. PM me your email and I will find and send them to you.

Back