- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Traditional Aircraft Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 07:48 PM

Question Baffle plugs - is there more elegant solution?

Little details here. Spark plug access holes on newer baffle kits are of oblong shape. Plans say use two Tinnerman washers AN3235 screwed together. There is still a gap and it doesn't look right because metal is thinner than the washers. I was looking at others builders' websites and nobody has those spark plug access holes. Can somebody comment on these or post a picture?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:24 PM

Default Had the same

Vlad,

I used a Van's o-320 baffle kit to do my O-235. I cut a piece of .032 aluminum the same shape as the oblong hole you describe, but bigger so it overlapped the hole on all sides and used an avex 1601-410 rivet (any pop rivet would do) at the top of it and can now slide the larger piece back and forth to expose the sparkplug access hole whenever necessary. Works great.

http://www.n2charlie.com
2013 Donation Made
Old 05-08-2009, 07:01 AM

Default Similar problem the other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladyspassky View Post
Little details here. Spark plug access holes on newer baffle kits are of oblong shape. Plans say use two Tinnerman washers AN3235 screwed together. There is still a gap and it doesn't look right because metal is thinner than the washers. I was looking at others builders' websites and nobody has those spark plug access holes. Can somebody comment on these or post a picture?
The new Lycoming that I had put in my RV6 in 2003 came with round grommets to fit a round hole in the baffle. There were two plug wires to a grommet. Apparently, that style of grommet is no longer made, which is probably why your baffle kit has oblong holes.

When I was helping a friend with his baffles recently, he had the opposite problem you describe. The grommets he had were oblong, figure-eight-shaped and the hole in the baffle was round. We searched all over to find round grommets like mine to fit his round holes but couldn't find them. Spruce only had the oblong ones.

So I think if you look in the Spruce catalog, you'll find some oblong grommets to fit your holes. I'd give you a link but I couldn't find them on the web site. They were hard to find in the book.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:03 AM

Default same baffle kit as you...

Vlad,

Do you have the baffle material on yet? You can't almost, but not quite, cover the hole with the tinnerman, but the baffling helps out. Between the baffling and the tinnermans, I was able to plug the hole. A pic probably doesn't help much, and it's a lousy pic at that. I cut a slit in the baffling there, and the lower edge of the baffling is sandwiched between the tinnermans.

Ticked Van's Hobbes meter at #6110, 3/7/09
Old 05-08-2009, 04:54 PM

Thank you all gentlemen. All examples are very useful and now I have an idea what to fabricate.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:55 PM

One other issue you need to be aware of if not done, will give you an elevated temp on #3. Not sure whether the instructions have been updated.

Make sure you add a washer between the #3 cylinder backside to the baffle. Without the washer, air can not pass over #3 and the back of the cylinder/baffle.
Someone on this list gave me the fix. I had been chasing this for quite some time. Once done, it lowered my #3 cht by 20-25 degrees.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:57 AM

Hi,
I am wondering what those spark plug access holes are for? I donít understand the interest of those holes . Thatís rather a leaky point .
Old 06-26-2022, 11:20 AM

To enable you to put an extension on end of your socket to get the plug out...
At least on my 10, i can't fit a plug socket and the wrench inside of the baffle, need the extension through the hole, wrench on the outside.

Phil
Old 06-26-2022, 11:26 AM

Default Spark plug wires

I bought two of these. Requires a little cutting and drilling but they fit perfect. I'll try and figure out where I got them. I haven't plugged the access holes yet but plan a couple pieces of aluminum pre-treated with sealant then a #8 screw and nut.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220626_102333.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	27476
Builder Blog: http://wirejockrv7a.blogspot.com
Donated 12/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.

Last edited by wirejock : 06-26-2022 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:55 AM

Default From Engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
I bought two of these. Requires a little cutting and drilling but they fit perfect. I'll try and figure out where I got them. I haven't plugged the access holes yet but plan a couple pieces of aluminum pre-treated with sealant then a #8 screw and nut.
Attachment 27476
I got a pair of those with my new engine from Lycoming

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
To Go: wing mounting, engine baffles, wing tips, move to airport
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com