What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMU 22 / General CPC question

gkochers

Friend
I'm installing a GMU 22 in the wing tip of my -10. I have the Garmin connector kit and have run the wiring in the wing, but I don't have the GMU unit yet. My plan was to use a bulkhead or flange connector attached to a small aluminum bracket at the tip to secure the CPC connectors. I purchased what I thought was the correct 9 pin, series 2 CPC bulkhead connector from Spruce. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/connector11-13871.php?clickkey=6346658

I see now that it is a male receptacle connector, and I need a female plug to replace the plug that came with the connector kit. I've been through the CPC catalog and Mouser, etc and cannot for the life of me find a female, series 2, 9 pin bulkhead connector.

I could remove the plug from the actual GMU22 and replace with this male bulkhead connector, but would prefer not to alter the Garmin unit.

Garmin manual says, "secure using good installation practices." I didn't find anything in AC43-13 about supporting connectors, so question for the group - what are you using to secure your CPC connectors in general? Are we just securing the wire on either side of the CPC with adel clamps? Or securing one side of the CPC itself with a large adel clamp? I was hesitant to install a steel adel clamp in close proximity to the GMU.

No need to get fancy, a tie wrap will do:

20150403_magnetometer2.jpg

I made a hole in the deck, put the GMU 22 cable/CPC into the hole with a little Ultra Black to hold it in place. The other CPC on the bottom holds everything in place.

Attachments

• IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 85
I'm installing a GMU 22 in the wing tip of my -10. I have the Garmin connector kit and have run the wiring in the wing, but I don't have the GMU unit yet. My plan was to use a bulkhead or flange connector attached to a small aluminum bracket at the tip to secure the CPC connectors. I purchased what I thought was the correct 9 pin, series 2 CPC bulkhead connector from Spruce. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/connector11-13871.php?clickkey=6346658

I see now that it is a male receptacle connector, and I need a female plug to replace the plug that came with the connector kit. I've been through the CPC catalog and Mouser, etc and cannot for the life of me find a female, series 2, 9 pin bulkhead connector.

I could remove the plug from the actual GMU22 and replace with this male bulkhead connector, but would prefer not to alter the Garmin unit.

Garmin manual says, "secure using good installation practices." I didn't find anything in AC43-13 about supporting connectors, so question for the group - what are you using to secure your CPC connectors in general? Are we just securing the wire on either side of the CPC with adel clamps? Or securing one side of the CPC itself with a large adel clamp? I was hesitant to install a steel adel clamp in close proximity to the GMU.

Unfortunately, AMP doesn't make a Series 2, Size 11, 9 female socket bulkhead connector, but you can easily remove the pins from your existing connector with a D-Sub pin extractor and then replace with a female plug, then use a male bulkhead connector (called panel mount in the catalogs). It's actually a lot easier than it may seem and fairly low cost.

PN 206486-1 is the bulkhead connector and then 206481-1 is the female connector. Both use standard D-Sub pins and together are about $20 from Digikey

You can drill an 11/16" hole in a panel nearby your GMU mount and run the bulkhead connector from the backside, and then connect the GMU without any further bracing required.

Back