to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorpayne317641 View Post
Thank you for all of your responses. My A&P IA looked it over today and said the oil is so bad all over the bottom of the engine it is hard to tell where exactly the leak is starting from. I put about 44hrs of tach time since the last oil change and since I saw inside the cowling, which was dry then.

He told me to clean off all the oil from the engine and preform a ground run to warm the oil and find the source of the leak. I hope that this amount of oil is too much for a thru bolt leak. I didn't build the plane so I don't know if the baffling is sealed perfectly. I thought seeing some Oil at the base above the cylinders was a bad sign. I didn't notice any oil leaking from the push rod tube though. Here are 2 pics but they don't really reveal much other than the amount of oil. One pic is of the #2 and the other of the #3 from the bottom looking up.
Look for oil streaming from the bottom of the case up by the flywheel. A leaking front oil seal can be significant and the air flow will stream that oil along the bottom of the case all the way from the area by the alternator back to the oil dip stick tube.

The oil all over the servo makes me think front oil seal. Seems like too much oil for a through bolt leak. When you get a LOT of oil all over the bottom of the engine, front oil seal should be the first investigation, as it is high on the list of leakage points that can produce a lot of oil.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 10-04-2022 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I thought seeing some Oil at the base above the cylinders was a bad sign. I didn't notice any oil leaking from the push rod tube though.
throw some talc powder up there then blow off with compressed air. It tends to stick to oil and highlights the oil path. Due to gravity, it tends to leave only a limited trace between the PR tube seal and the flange base.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:51 PM

I replaced the front seal 100hrs ago and its not leaking. I washed down the engine and finished up with brake cleaner. Idling didn't produce any results.

Then a run up at full power for 1 minute produce a leak at the #2 cylinder near the base and front side of it. Checked again and the inside of the flywheel is bone dry. I did find some Oil at the #3 base near the bottom but not nearly as much and I wondered if it was from #2 and air blowing by.

Anyways I tried cleaning again, bone dry no grease or oil. Ran for 30 seconds full throttle and the first spot to appear was the front of the #2 just above the baffle at the base. See pictures. I know the builder replaced the #2 cylinder due to "low compression" I wouldn't have changed it for the compression he had but it is what it is.

Attached are some pics after the 30 second run. It highlights the locations really well. I took pictures all around that cylinder. I'm thinking it's the jug seal, but why give out now after 800 or so hours? Look at the engine cowl pic, it also looks like it originates at #2 and smears back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221004_175914.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	31857  Click image for larger version

Name:	20221004_184557.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	31858  Click image for larger version

Name:	20221004_184603.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	31859  Click image for larger version

Name:	20221004_185221.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	31860  
Old 10-05-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I replaced the front seal 100hrs ago and its not leaking. I washed down the engine and finished up with brake cleaner. Idling didn't produce any results.

Then a run up at full power for 1 minute produce a leak at the #2 cylinder near the base and front side of it. Checked again and the inside of the flywheel is bone dry. I did find some Oil at the #3 base near the bottom but not nearly as much and I wondered if it was from #2 and air blowing by.

Anyways I tried cleaning again, bone dry no grease or oil. Ran for 30 seconds full throttle and the first spot to appear was the front of the #2 just above the baffle at the base. See pictures. I know the builder replaced the #2 cylinder due to "low compression" I wouldn't have changed it for the compression he had but it is what it is.

Attached are some pics after the 30 second run. It highlights the locations really well. I took pictures all around that cylinder. I'm thinking it's the jug seal, but why give out now after 800 or so hours? Look at the engine cowl pic, it also looks like it originates at #2 and smears back.
Pooling oil after a 30 second engine run is a really bad sign. That is a serious leak! I don't see a bad oring at the base flange loosing that much oil in 30 seconds. It has to get past a tight fitting area and that o ring sees no movement and it not likely to disintegrate. I would be concerned about a case crack around the upper through bolt that extends to the left oil galley. The pressure in the galley will force the oil through the crack and I don't see how splash oil migrating through a crack can leave pooling oil in just 30 seconds. I fear you need to pull the #2 jug and investigate.

IMHO, you either have a relatively large opening to the inside of the case or the the leak source is exposed to pressurized oil. I just don't see anything else that can cause pooling oil in 30 seconds of running. Typical through bolt clearance issues weep oil, it doesn't pour out as your pics show.

I certainly hope that I am wrong and there is a simpler answer.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 10-05-2022 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:02 AM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
For those with leaks at the inboard end of the pushrod tubes, the Lycoming school instructor taught us to turn the (green) seals inside out before installation, and they work better…..
Now you tell me.....
Old 10-06-2022, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Pooling oil after a 30 second engine run is a really bad sign. That is a serious leak! ...
If you are not convinced by what Larry said about the seriousness of this, please check this thread:

https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=210507

http://www.rv8.ch/help-people-in-ukraine/
Old 10-06-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
IMHO, you either have a relatively large opening to the inside of the case or the the leak source is exposed to pressurized oil.
An interesting test would be to clean again and rig an adapter to add compressed air at the oil pressure port. Run 50 PSI into the oil system and observe. It may be easier to watch the oil appear without the prop spinning. This may give some better clues before pulling #2. This is based upon my theory that the oil is coming from a pressurized source and I could be wrong on that front, but it is the only thing that makes sense to me with the symptoms.

Larry
Old 10-06-2022, 04:49 PM

I did the black light test as I think Larry suggested. I found that the #2 does in fact have oil all the way around the front, bottom (although it may be because of gravity) and back of the cylinder base but not the top. I also found #3 has oil near the top, front and front base of the cylinder. Some of it ended up on the baffle near that area too.

This makes me think it may be a thru bolt. Or that the leak is finding its was to the thru bolt as a path to the other side (#3). The spot that has the majority of it is #2. I am pulling #2 this weekend to investigate. I will check the torque before unbolting it first. My A&P is helping me with the troubleshooting and has seen it under the black light with me, but he still doesn't know why it's leaking in that area. I've kept him in the loop from all of your great posts. I'll update when I have more info.

I am leaning on some sort of Crack in the case.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:55 PM

Opening an engine is like a box of Cracker Jacks - you never know just what you will find until you get inside. That is what I always found fun.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:14 PM

Default Oil leak

Pull #2 cyl back and look to see if o ring seal is theree , may have forgot to install it whe he put cyl. on , if no seal , you have to pull cyl. if seal is there you may have overhaul engine , send case to divico , they will find crack if thert is one , what is the total time on the engine.