What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OT: Most Famous aviators you've ever met

He was just Grandad

Its too bad I got into aviation later in life because Bill Munz, the man I new as grandad, was a bit of a legend in Alaskan aviation history ( Munz Northern Airlines ). There must have been so many stories that I will never hear now that he is gone.

It was a great honor last year, at Witham Field, to meet and talk with (too short a time) Major Jim "Reddo" Redmond of the:
351st Bomber Group
509th Squadron
8th Airforce
Based at Polebrook, UK between 1943-44

Picture attached with him standing next to a B-17 - the first hand stories he told while standing next to this inspiring beast were spine chilling.
img2790ex9.jpg

He wrote a book, "Reddo's Raiders", which I have and recommend to anyone interested in this period and the heroics of these guys - told with much humor and humility - He Captained 34 combat missions!

i was with the B29 crew on FIFI 1984. we were doing an airshow in Tx and i walked over to sit next to another CAF COL. I started to sit while reading his name tag then fell to the ground, misjudged the bench! lol.
it was COL General Paul Tibbets!
I am related to J doolittle, but never got to meet him.

Although I did not grow up in the US, and I don't have any military background, meeting Gen. Paul Tibbets at an airshow in Red Wing, MN a few years ago gave me long-lasting goosebumps. He autographed a picture of a P51 which is now hanging in my son's bedroom.

Here's a couple from the S n F photo archive. I would have looked happier to meet Van, but I think the S n F food was starting to have its effect on me.
Notice Gus and Ken in the background. When you think of it Van doesen't look that excited to meet me either

One of the best lines of the trip was when Kermit Weeks was getting out of his Grumman Duck and a guy in the crowd said "I'm envious of you Kermit" to which Kermit responded "I'm envious of me to"

I almost forgot to mention, I've never met Paul Dye, but I did speak to him on the phone once. That's gotta be worth something :D

vanfz1.jpg

kwpl5.jpg

While touring the Johnson Space Center one day, my college buddy asked if I wanted to see a Shuttle Sim. So I jumped at the opportunity. There, sitting in the left seat, was none other than John Young (Apollo 16 and first Space Shuttle commander)! He was helping testing of new abort software/logic. It was neat to be 'flying' right along side him.

After he was done testing, I fortunately was able to attempt a few landings myself. Nothing like starting an approach from 100,000+ feet at Mach 10+.

Amazing opportunity to visit with a flying legend.

Nancy bird walton (australias first aviatrix)
Dick smith. (australian aviation advocate)

almost got to meet chuck yaegor

Not as "famous" as some, Uncle Ted came home and quietly went back to work on the family farm and raised a family, as did thousands of servicemen of WWII. He was a Cessna 170B driver for decades before loosing his medical. He is still kicking and I take him flying every once in a while. He never talked about the war until about 20 years ago. Now the stories he tells will curl your hair. He didn't have time to be "Famous", but he never escaped "Hero" in my book.

Nice story.

My grandfather retired as a Brigadier General in the late 70's. He flew in WWII (pacific), Korea, and Vietnam. We was a wing commander and a base commander when I was a little kid. Getting to run around the base with my Grandfather and everyone saluting him was great. I felt like the most important kid in the world. He's the reason I got into flying and he's still my hero.

I met Chuck Yeager at Oshkosh. He's an awesome person. I have also worked with John Young in my adult years, and as a kid, his lunar module pilot was my soccer coach. At work, I met John Glenn and briefed him on Shuttle RTLS abort procedures before his shuttle flight.

I met Story Musgrave at a meet the Astronaut session at KSC. I could have met any Astronaut which would have been cool but Story is most famous for fixing the Hubble so shaking his hand was extra special. He also flys or flew a Decathlon and his website is my home page. www.spacestory.com

My parents were in town from the UK and got to see an on time launch and meet Story Musgrave so it was an all around great visit.

Of course the NASA guys on the forum get to meet these guys all day long!!:)

Met 'Pappy' Boyington at the Chino Airshow in the early '80s, and the Japanese pilot who shot him down had a booth there too! Saw Van at Flabob when he brought the 9 down a couple years ago. Can't forget Dave Klages from Chino-first RV I saw up close, and of course Rosie for my first RV ride!

Famous Aviators

This is an interesting thread, as we've all been exposed at some time to famous aviators, especially if we go to Oshkosh, Sun'n Fun, Air Shows, etc.
Let's see...I've met a few...

I recognized Bob Hoover's hat when he got on a Delta flight from LAX to ATL. After dinner (remember when they actually served us a meal?) I went back to visit the rest room and wash my hands. As I came back to my seat I introduced myself to Mr. Hoover and thanked him for his contributions to aviation. He was very gracious.

Joe Kittinger was at our EAA Fly In in 1995 flying the New Standard Biplane, and I've never met a nicer gentleman. I was privileged to be his ground safety man all day and I thoroughly enjoyed doing it for him.

I met Scott Crossfield walking between buildings at Sun'n Fun several years ago. All I could think of was to extend my hand and thank him for all his contributions to aviation.

I've been in meetings with John Young and actually made a presentation to him once. He is one of the most brilliant people I've ever met...a steel trap mind, thorough and rigorous in his questioning, and very serious about maintaining the safety of our space shuttle hardware.

Gordon Baxter and Richard Collins were at our 1995 EAA Fly In. What a treat to talk to Bax.

I met Steve Wittman at the 1979 Tullahoma EAA Fly In. What a guy! He had an aluminum block V-8 (Oldsmobile) installed inverted in a Tailwind (one of his designs). I believe there are several of these still flying.

I met Dave Anders at Oshkosh a few years ago. Really nice guy. He has the fast RV-4 from California.

There must be others...Bob Crippen, Brian Duffy, Dick vanGrunsven, Doc Horowitz, Hoot Gibson, Hugh Downs, Jon Johanson, Leo Loudenslager, Art Scholl, Doug Reeves and Paul Dye (I've actually had a ride in the Val!!!)

And then may I mention the "not-so-famous" aviators who have had a profound influence on my interest in aviation...Bob Harwood, Waddell Hinson, R.C. Humphreys, Winfred and Cecil Finerty, Burton Horner, Paul Bridges, Rob Rawdon, Cordell Hull (my dad), and Bill Brock (we were young engineers together and he went on to fly 757's and 767's for Delta. He was the first person I knew who was building an airplane...a BD-5 which he sold partially built when they started having engine supply problems in Germany. One of the finest pilots I ever flew with.) There must be others.

Don

P.S. Several years ago, I decided not to bother famous people with a request for an autograph. That was after I read Paul Newman's reason for not giving autographs. At a restaurant one night he went to the men's room, and as he was standing at the urinal, someone actually asked him for an autograph! :eek:

Last edited:
Met 'Pappy' Boyington at the Chino Airshow in the early '80s, and the Japanese pilot who shot him down had a booth there too!

I was gonna post the same person at the same place! I remember him sitting at his table grumbling that people weren't buying his book but wanted his autograph on anything including toilet paper! I don't remember the Japanese pilot though.
Those long ago Chino shows were the best weren't they? :D

If it has wings... he flew it!

For many years Gene Littlefield who flew many airshows at Oshkosh and opened many of them, was a member of EAA chapter 15 at Lewis University southwest of Chicago. I spent many meeting nights chatting with Gene and his wife Cheryl. Gene now lives down near Morris, Illinois and is a member of Chapter 95 but he still stops by periodically. He has many stories about the big red and white Stearman. He has done transition training for many pilots into warbirds, gave aerobatic rides and contributed the money to the EAA chapter, and just gave great hangar flying advice. While at his former maintenance and training facility at Morris I met Patty Wagstaff. Gene has been a hero of mine for many years.

Paul Czarapata
RV-6A
N694BP reserved

I met Steve Wittman at the 1979 Tullahoma EAA Fly In. :

I remember that one. I also remember meeting Olive Ann Beach and Louise Thaden at a Staggerwing meet in Tullahoma. We used to have a lot of people come through Tullahoma when they came to AEDC. Seems like most everyone passed through at one time or another. The AIAA would have meetings or the UT Space Institute would have a seminar that would have an interesting attendance list. I'm sure it was the same at Redstone/Marshall in Huntsville. To us, they were just guys, never thought of them as "famous". My boss had his name on the Collier trophy but he was just one of the gang at happyhour. Jim Voss and his brother were fraternity brothers of mine. I believe that most of the people listed by others in this thread would probably not consider themselves famous at all. Interesting……..

I shared some scotch with a master of the 'suck-squeeze-bang-blow'.

I drank with Sir Frank Whittle.

I am not sure if it was the same night. :rolleyes:

I shook hands with Chuck Yeager and Van, himself. Both were humbling events although I was just a teenager meeting Gen. Yeager and an RV owner when I met Van. I also flew with another active duty AF General who had lots of Buff hours. On approach with our 150 Aerobat, he wanted to start the flare way, way up there. As politely as a 19 yr old could manage, I told the General, “I’ve got the airplane”. and landed with no bounces.

I had Neil Armstrong as a Professor for 3 courses while doing my Aerospace Engineering undergraduate work at the University of Cincinnati during the early '70's. Armstrong was shy and unassuming, but would open up a bit at the pizza and beer gatherings in the lab on some Friday afternoons and talk a bit about his experiences. When I was a Grad student, the Professor I was working under and his wife had me and my wife and another Grad student over for dinner with Armstrong. Armstrong was actually an Associate Professor since he did not have a PhD, only a Master's Degree.

While an engineering Co-Op student at the Manned Spacecraft Center (later renamed the Johnson Space Center) I rode up an elevator alone with Wernher von Braun in the Mission Control Center, but was too timid to speak to him!

Last edited:
...Uncle Ted came home and quietly went back to work on the family farm and raised a family, as did thousands of servicemen of WWII.

Exactly what my grandfather did...albeit P51s and never shot down. Came home and farmed the rest of his days in IL and WI. What a marvelous generation.

I met this guy a few times. Twice at the Arlington air show. And a few times at Oshkosh. Always had a lot of pens in his shirt pocket, and was very interested in homebuilt airplanes and gliders. The guy was very sharp but very quiet.
I just can't remember his name...
Van at 18.jpg

Last edited:
Eddie Rickenbacker

While attending the USAF Academy I built a radio controlled model of the Fokker DR-1 Triplane. It didn't fly very well so I just hung it from the ceiling of my dorm room. Eddie Rickenbacker was touring the academy in 1968 as a guest of our Commandant of Cadets, Colonel Robin Olds. As they were passing through our squadron dorm Rickenbacker caught sight of the triplane and came in to ask me about it. We sat on my bed and chatted for several minutes before Olds reminded him that others were waiting for him. I don't even remember much of our conversation but I do remember being pissed that nobody took a picture. Rickenbacker died just five years later. That model is hanging above my desk today.

I grew up in Omaha. At college in Lincoln I was dating a girl whose father had just retired as vice-commander of the Strategic Air Command. Our father’s were golfing buddies. I can tell you that the cliches about dating The General’s Daughter are true, and that became most apparent when he found out that I had taken her out flying in the University of Nebraska’s club plane N8489R. Dating The General’s Daughter is one thing, flying her is entirely another. Anyway, her sister got married while we were dating and I was invited. I met some truly legendary Air Force Cold Warriors there, but at the reception I was seated at a table with Curtis LeMay. He was an impressive man. Easily the most compelling personality I’ve ever met.

Well, Me To, I Guess

I've been pretty lucky, too. As a kid, I met Bob White, X-15 pilot. My Dad brought him home from the Elk's Club.
At my first A&P job, we worked on actor Lloyd Hanes' Bellanca Viking and Jimmy Stewart's Super Cub. We redid the fabric on the fuselage of that airplane, my only real grade-A cotton fabric job. Cliff Robertson owned the hangar next door when my buddy Steve Pfister (built most of the #1 Staggerwing replica that's in the Staggerwing Museum in Tullahoma TN now) and I rented the place. Cliff was always very nice to us, gave us Christmas gifts one year. Had a brief conversation with Tony Levier. Lots of actors and aviation notables ran thru Santa Paula in those days. Actor Morgan Woodward, the heavy in a hundred westerns kept a Travel Air biplane there, newsman Clete Roberts had a hangar and he was a very nice man. Bob Cummings had a hangar there, too, before my time. Steve McQueen had hangar on the field until he died. Shook his hand once. He congratulated me after he had turned down an offer to fly in our spot landing contest because he was drinking a beer. Great guy, well loved on the airport. He learned to fly there, in fact. Sammy Mason and his son Pete taught him. And Sammy was a wonderful guy, very approachable and eager to talk flying with anyone. My partner Steve did some work on a Bücker for the movie Los Tres Amigos. He was never paid in full. Oh well. Recently waved at Harrison Ford as he worked on his Air Cam. My wife flew with Maj. Steven Delbagno USAF, tragically killed in in a Thunderbirds practice flight a few years back. I wish I could have met him, we'd have had lots to talk about. Did a little airshow crew work with Joanne Osterud, John Colver, Bill Cornick. My favorites were not very famous, but great aviators Bob Van Ausdell (an old sergeant pilot who flew B-25 strafers in the pacific) and Perry Schreffler who flew 25 missions over Germany as a command pilot in B-17s. Wonderful, old school gentlemen they certainly were. They were big buddies with Chuck Yaegar, shared scrapple and libations. When I was working on aerobatic airplanes I met Bob Herendeen, another old school gentleman. Talked briefly with Patty Wagstaff a couple of times and she was very nice. Had technical conversations with some of the top unlimited pilots in the 90s. And so on. I was cut out of the pattern at Flabob by a pair of Super Chipmunks one day but I don't know who was flying them. :) Movie and airshow pilot Mike Dewey owns the hangar across from ours. He's a fun guy. Anyway, I've been VERY lucky.

John Glenn. I was about six years old. A friend of Dad’s brought him over to our house and he ate all my popcorn. LOL.

Over the years, I've been fortunate to rub elbows with some of the names mentioned thus far, even flew with a couple of them. Sadly, we lost one of the best yesterday, Merrill Wien, son of Wien Alaska Airlines founder Noel Wien.
With An airline career, a distinguished Air Force record, and years of GA flying some very notable airplanes, including as a DPE in the B-29....
Merrill passed due to pneumonia at age 92, and was always pleased to talk airplanes. Truly a good fellow of aviation.

Dick Scobee, pilot of Challenger on its last flight, was a classmate of mine. And a little later I met Buzz Aldrin and had a nice chat with him at his USAF retirement ceremony.

Dave

I was working at TCM when the Voyager Project was underway and in testing it failed a prop and nearly lost the engine from it's mount. Dick Rutan flew the engine back to Mobile for repair on a Thursday. I went to meet him at the plane and after getting it to the shop and being dissembled, we had lunch with Dick and our Chief engineer Bill Brogdon. This was a week or so before launch and Dick was very (very) focused on the mission. After return he came to an all employee meet/greet and he was much more human, along with Jenna Yeager.

Although faded, I have pictures of the Voyager with Jenna & Dick's signatures on my wall to this day.

To wrap up: I consulted on the engine correctly diagnosing a broken top ring as assembly damage. (unrelated to prop failure) The engine was machined for a CS prop and the team worked over the week with TRW to make a prop that arrived on Monday. The engine was tested and loaded in a plane for Mojave while still warm.

I did go to college with Jan Brown/Davis, who later became an astronaut. The was a year behind me, I went to grad school, she graduated (BSME) and when to Mobil engine research lab before the final career path. Not sure if it counts as she was not a pilot, but married one.

My personal aviator is my uncle, H.M. "Mac" Lane; aka "Hard A$$". He joined Army, went into the Air Corp. Flew off Iwo in the P51, some time flying in Korea, then spent time at Edwards with Bob White of whom he spoke highly. Too tall for Mercury Program moved on to (later) 280 missions over Vietnam into Cambodia in the Super Sabre while Ben Hua Base Commander. Retired as USAF Inspector General (***). He provided me with silhouette training manuals for learning aircraft.

Last edited:
I was talking with a couple of friends of mine and we were discussing some of the aviation legends we had personally met in our travels. Some of the names that surfaced were Gen. Robin Olds, Joe Kittinger,Bob Hoover, Harrison Ford, Kermit Weeks, Paul Poberenzy and all the guys from the book Chickenhawk.

Just wondering what other legends may have been encountered by the VAF group along the way?

I was the State Safety Aviation Officer for the State of Indiana, as an Instructor Pilot (flying Blackhawks). One of my duties was to work the fly overs for the races at the Indy 500. It was a good gig for sure:). My passes allowed me access to everywhere in the Pagoda at the track. As a result I got to meet all the celebrities that were there to sing the National Anthem, etc, as I was the guy for timing of the call in for the fighters for the fly over at the end of the National Anthem.
One year Chuck Yeager was the guy to drive the Pace Car. I got to hang out with him and B.S. for over an hour. It was a hoot, to say the least. He was an ornery old cuss with some fantastic stories of his service in WW-II, and many other things. One of the Air guard F-16 guys asked him why he didn't own his own P-51. His reply was "**** why, I can fly anyone's I want for the asking" !! Which is totally true, when you think about it.

It was a total pleasure to hang out, and converse one on one, with a true legend, that had a part in aviation history.........

Attachments

• Chuck Yeager.jpg
    Chuck Yeager.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I've been extremely fortunate to have met many of the names mentioned here and if one were to include the skydiving world, most of the greats. Very fortunate indeed, as these are some of the most incredible and accomplished individuals one could ever hope to brush shoulders with. In the decade or so I was packing emergency parachutes I had many customers who were airshow pilots including Sean Tucker. That's a different feeling altogether, in that one now feels like they are "in their shoes" or "on the team". Packing parachutes for Tucker and the Oracle boys took some getting used to, those guys use them! It took a while to get comfortable but soon I wanted to be "that guy", no glory, just lots of responsibility. It's weird.

I'm not sure if this is a thread on who has met who as much as a thread about how to live with bravery and honor, and how to age well afterwards. While I won't leave the legacy of these men, it encourages me to think about what legacy I leave behind. Only one of us can break the sound barrier for the first time, but we can all be the helpful hand to those around us.

Don’t forget these guys:

Tony Bingelis

Met Tony while looking for a tailwheel instructor after I moved to Austin in 1982. He more-or-less set me on the road to building airplanes. A wonderful man.

Budd Davisson

Met Budd at SNF, right after I had finished my 1st Rocket. Asked me: What IS that thing? I said: why, that there is an airplane! What the heck was I thinking?? A great friend - along the lines of Tony too.

RV Earthrounders

Having been a SNF and OSH junkie, I have met many notable pilots, including Buzz Aldrin, Gene Cernan, Chuck Yeager, Pappy Boyington, Tex Hill, Robert Scott, and Joe Kittinger, to name (drop) a few.

However, I am glad that I met some notable RV Earthrounders; Jon Johansen and Bill Randolph (Californian who flew his 8 around the world at age 72).

These are my heroes.

Can't say I really "met" Patty Wagstaff cause she blew me off. Circa 1990ish at the Arlington EAA Fly-In. She was coming down the stairs of the airport restaurant when a then 12 year old me saw her. Mustered up all of the introverted courage I could to say hello and she walked right by. I've never thought much of her since that day. Too bad.

Patty

Patty marches to the beat of a different drum, which could probably be said of many from the aerobatic community.
I have met two earthrounders, both gone west. One was a long time friend and I flew his Bonanza a couple of times.
The one I am most proud of is flying Wolfgang Langwiesche from Princeton NJ to JFK, my only passenger in an Aztec.
Close second would be Gene Hackman, who I got to meet in FL.

I met Paul Tibbits once. He was being escorted around my KC-135 squadron in Spokane, WA by the commander. I had no idea who he was at the time. What caught my attention was his very interesting and authentic looking leather jacket with nose art painted on the back.

One of my younger-days jobs was working in a store in Manhattan called the Cockpit. It was an Avirex flagship store and we carried all sorts of reproductions of WW2 jackets.

I went up to him and complimented him on his jacket. That was when my boss pointed out to me who he was. Boy was I embarrassed.

Last edited:
As a young eleven-year old boy, I was fascinated with Project Mercury and America’s fledgling space flight program. When John Glenn became the first American to orbit the earth in 1962, I made a scrapbook with newspaper clippings of the event. This event, my first airplane ride in a tripacer at age twelve, and the Steve Canyon comic strip of all things, motivated me to pursue my career goal to become an Air Force fighter pilot.
Twenty-five years later, I was an Air Force fighter pilot assigned to the Pentagon as a staff officer. I was invited to go to Senator John Glenn’s office along with a few others to brief his staff on F-16 capabilities. As I was meeting his staff, Senator Glenn came up to me with outstretched hand and a warm greeting. What a thrill meeting a boyhood hero! I told him it was an honor. He was extremely gracious and I sensed he enjoyed his interaction with me and the other military members.
I will always cherish the moment.

As a USAF demo pilot I have met a few but the ones I loved having a beer with were:

-Jimmy Franklin
-Bobby Younkin
-Jim 'Bulldog' Leroy
-Robin Olds

All gone now, but not forgotten...

Briefed, escorted, visited with, and drank scotch with Gen Olds at several PhanCons (Phantom Phanatics Conventions) at Nellis AFB NV and Holloman AFB NM.
Lots of scotch.
I mean LOTS of scotch.

When I was a young fellow working on my Pilot’s Licence back in high school (‘78) I had a nice older lady, Marion Orr, show up to do my flight test. It was a beautiful day and off we went. The flight test was very thorough and after about an hour she said I had passed. She then proceeded to ask if I had ever done any aerobatics? I said no and asked if she fly the airplane. Mrs Orr did a couple of clearing turns and then promptly did a barrel roll followed by a loop! My eyes were the size of saucers. She said thank you, handed back the airplane and we headed back to the airport. We did a quick de-brief and wished me luck on my aspirations to be an Airline Pilot.

I never knew her history or background until years later when I saw a news clip about her in the newspaper. A truly remarkable lady!

Jim

https://cahf.ca/marion-alice-orr/

67AF237F-44C4-4E14-84BC-A97D0E2923FF.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is a thread on who has met who as much as a thread about how to live with bravery and honor, and how to age well afterwards. While I won't leave the legacy of these men, it encourages me to think about what legacy I leave behind. Only one of us can break the sound barrier for the first time, but we can all be the helpful hand to those around us.

Well said.:cool:

Failed to walk over to introduce myself, but saw Gen Jimmy Doolittle at the Monterey CA airport in 1991; I smiled, he smiled back. Missed my chance to meet one of the greatest ever.

This is a great thread. Someone should write down all the names mentioned so we can better remember them and things that they did for all of us. I was fortunate enough to meet General Jimmy Doolittle. He was sitting in a lawn chair at a Chili Cook-Off we held at Edwards AFB. He was 90 at the time. I had recently read his book "I Could Never Be So Lucky Again", and he added many details to the stories in the book when I asked about them.

When the new wing of the Air and Space Museum opened at the Dulles Airport, I was walking toward the seating area when I noticed a tall reddish-haired guy walked slowly down the wall and sort of steadying himself against it. It was Tex Hill, who flew P-40s for the AVG in China. I offered to take his arm and we walked just a bit before Bob Hoover came striding up and the two of them went off to sit together, yakking like crazy.

After the ceremony at the Museum, I went back to the Dulles Airport to fly home and due to weather up north, most of the flights were delayed, including the one for Paul Tibbets. He was trying to get back to Ohio, but needed to get a message to his family that he would be late. I gave him my cell phone to use, then while we waited he told stories about flying the A-20 in Africa, training some WAC pilots to be instructors in the B-29, and working after the war at SHAFE Hq in Europe.

Amazing people, all of them. Let's not forget their courage and all that they did for us.

10 yrs ago i took care of a 92 year old man in the icu. he flew many missions over the burmese hump. they did some ifr. brave guys.

Bob Hoover at Oshkosh.

Captain Al Haynes, in the 90's at a convention he spoke at. In my short conversation I gather he still felt guilt he could not save everyone, but speaking about it helped. Of course his actions and that of the crew saved many lives and was above and beyond airmanship.

My Dad who took me on my first flight when I was 6. y:D

Honorable mention, Dick and Burt Rutan's Mother. Sat across from her at Oshkosh Homebuilders Dinner, mid 1990's. I never met Dick or Burt in person but heard them both speak at different times. Also Richard VanGrunsven. Flew with Van in the prototype RV-6 late 1980's. Van is a very good stick. Saw him do aerobatics at the Northwest EAA Arlington fly-in, low level, in a RV-4.

Last edited:
In 2019 I listened to a presentation by, and had the privilege to shake hands with, a Tuskegee Airman, Charles McGee. His courage and patriotism brought tears to my eyes.

Famous pilots

It’s because I’m old now, but in 1969 or 70 Charles A. Lindbergh was working for Pan Am and they sold Falcon Jets. I was flying a Falcon 20 and we took Mr. Lindbergh on a flight around Jamaica. He was very courteous and came to the cockpit and thanked us for the flight. In 1973/I went to work for Executive Jet in Columbus, Ohio. Paul Tibbits Was the chief pilot and gave me a check ride, I passed, it was in a Falcon 20.

I met Denny Fitch at a Hospice fundraiser he spoke at. He was on Flight 232 commuting home from the Denver training center where he was a check airman for United. He stood between the left and right seat and "controlled" the DC-10 with differential thrust of the two wing mounted engines. Al Haynes who others mentioned earlier in the thread was the Captain. I lived at Woodlake Landing in Sandwich, IL at the time and my neighbor Don Jones stopped by the day before I heard Denny speak. Don nonchalantly said, yeah, I flew that airplane the day before the accident! Don flew B-47's before a long career with United. Both great people.

At an after-party for the young eagles charity dinner at Oshkosk a few years ago I met Sully, Harrison Ford, Jack Pelton, Bob Hoover and his wife. All were great, but Bob Hoover and his wife were so gracious. Sat and chatted with them for quite a while and seemed like no one else knew who they were. A top memory for me to chat with the guy who "I think" inspired the the scene where Maverick steals the F-14 behind enemy lines!

Last edited:
My father's best friend from his youth was a 32 mission B-17 co-pilot, Dick Johnson. What great man, hysterically funny and a joy to hang out with. Lost him several years ago in his early 90's.
My Dad taught me lots, his credentials include H-19's for the AF in Nam before the escalation. Went on to fly for the Airlines until '96. Still flies at almost 87. He had the first Pitts S1C in the MD area in '68 and flew competition and airshows.
We got to meet Leo L when his airplane was still a Stephens Acro. I was maybe 8 or 9 and he took the time to show me his airplane, man it performed well.
Met Roy Clark the guitar player at our little airport where he kept/partnered a Tripacer.
I got my license in '90 and got into competition acro. Rubbed elbows with many of the competition and airshow community, Wagstaff, Chapman, Soucy, Armstrong, Holland (was my assistant on the judges line), Kyle Franklin, the Alabama Boys and I flew Prometheus from Memphis to OSH for Stewart.
Met Auggie Bellanca at a QB dinner I was invited to. Nice Gentleman.
I flew at the Flying Circus in VA for several years and had the great pleasure to get to know Charlie Culp, the Flying Farmer. A true Southern Gentleman.
My hangar neighbor is a RV 4 builder/flyer at 96 years young, Dave Gaulden. Might not be famous or history maker but still a hero in my eyes.

Burt and Dick Rutan, Jeana Yeager, Mike Melville, Bob Hoover, Chuck Yeager, Paul Poberezny, to name a few.

Roberta:)

Back