What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTX345R / GTX345 / GTX45R

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me the difference between the GTX 345R and the GTX 45R?

I have a GTX345 in my Mooney, and I'm considering a remote mount unit in the RV-10, but I can't quite figure out the difference between the 345R and the 45R. Is it just that the 45R is for experimental only?

Also, I saw somewhere a reference that stated the 345R transmits ADS-B in, TIS, etc. via Bluetooth to the G3X Touch, but that doesn't seem right. In the G3X Touch installation manual, section Figure 27-2.13 shows "ADS-B Traffic/Weather" connecting between the GTX X45(R) and the GDU 4XX via RS232, so I'm assuming the bluetooth idea is incorrect--I'd imagine it's only really for connecting externally to a tablet or phone?

Also also, in the Garmin documentation, "aircraft grade" CAT 5 Ethernet cable is called out for the ADS-B connections between the GTX and the GTN navigators...is there anything really special about aircraft grade CAT 5? is it reinforced, or have stranded conductors or something to strengthen it against vibration? I have a 1000 foot spool of CAT 6E plenum grade ethernet cable sitting around from another project, just wondering if it could be used.

About $1500 :)

The GTX 345R supports grey code input from an encoding altimeter, some discrete inputs, temperature probe, etc. ... and it's certified.

If you're going with a remote unit, I'd pick the GTX 45R.

UTP CAT5/6 is fine for the HSDB between the GTX and the GTN boxes.

About $1500 :)

The GTX 345R supports grey code input from an encoding altimeter, some discrete inputs, temperature probe, etc. ... and it's certified.

If you're going with a remote unit, I'd pick the GTX 45R.

UTP CAT5/6 is fine for the HSDB between the GTX and the GTN boxes.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I guess I would have had to dig pretty deeply into the manuals to find those differences between the 345R and the 45R, so thanks for the help.

Perhaps the most important difference is the 45R can only be controlled thru the G3X.

I have a GTX345 in my Mooney, and I'm considering a remote mount unit in the RV-10, but I can't quite figure out the difference between the 345R and the 45R. Is it just that the 45R is for experimental only?

Also, I saw somewhere a reference that stated the 345R transmits ADS-B in, TIS, etc. via Bluetooth to the G3X Touch, but that doesn't seem right. In the G3X Touch installation manual, section Figure 27-2.13 shows "ADS-B Traffic/Weather" connecting between the GTX X45(R) and the GDU 4XX via RS232, so I'm assuming the bluetooth idea is incorrect--I'd imagine it's only really for connecting externally to a tablet or phone?

Also also, in the Garmin documentation, "aircraft grade" CAT 5 Ethernet cable is called out for the ADS-B connections between the GTX and the GTN navigators...is there anything really special about aircraft grade CAT 5? is it reinforced, or have stranded conductors or something to strengthen it against vibration? I have a 1000 foot spool of CAT 6E plenum grade ethernet cable sitting around from another project, just wondering if it could be used.
As Walt said, the big difference is that you can't control a GTX 45R with a GTN. The G3X Touch can control both the GTX 345R and the GTX 45R, so it is pretty much a "don't care" that you can't control the GTX 45R with a GTN.

You can connect the GTX 345/345R/45R to G3X Touch using either Bluetooth or RS-232 to receive ADS-B traffic/weather from the GTX.

As shown on page 27-33 of the rev. AP G3X Touch installation manual you can use "22 AWG TWISTED, SHIELDED PAIR CABLES (MIL-C-27500)" to connect the Ethernet between the GTX and the GTN. No need to use aircraft grade Cat 5 cable.

Steve

As shown on page 27-33 of the rev. AP G3X Touch installation manual you can use "22 AWG TWISTED, SHIELDED PAIR CABLES (MIL-C-27500)" to connect the Ethernet between the GTX and the GTN. No need to use aircraft grade Cat 5 cable.

Steve

Thanks--I did see that in the manual after I made my last post.

Thanks to you and Walt for the other clarifications too!

Back