What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Discovery Dual Band ADS-B Receiver

ljsflash

Has anyone used the GRT Discovery Dual Band Receiver?
I’m doing a panel upgrade with 2 GRT Sport EX’s and GRT Mini X. I’m currently using the uAvionix Echo and SkyFyx for ADSB in/out.
I’m not sure I’ll receive traffic-in to the EFIS with the uAvionix but should be able to with the GRT Discovery Dual Band ADS-B Receiver.
The Discovery also lists that it is compatible with iOS and ForeFlight for the iPad.

https://grtavionics.com/product/discovery-dual-band-ads-b-receiver/

I’m looking for anyone who has used the GRT Discovery who may have an opinion on it.

Thoughts?

LJ

Last edited:
Adsb

I have a GRT setup with a Sport SX and use the Uavionics Eco with Skyfix.
I have traffic on Foreflight (wifi) and my EFis. (Hardwired)

GRT Discovery

Thanks Al. I might just stay with the EchoUAT. It’s been a good unit in two different A/C. I have not heard much about the GRT Discovery. There is no practical experience with it that I have found.

The discovery product is a new offering from GRT I just purchased one for my trike project to integrate to my SportEX. I will make sure to post thoughts

I would be interested in hearing about how well this unit works. I have a GRT Horizon 10.1, I am using an Open Flight Solutions for ADS B in now. I am just wondering if the GRT Discovery will work better.

Installed a Sport 10.1 GRT SPORT EFIS into a RV7 and hard wired an existing uAvionics Echo with the SkyFyx GPS back 8 months ago that continues to work fine with the ADSB Traffic and Wx on the GRT screen. Also the Echo outputs Traffic and Wx via the WiFi to an Ifly EFB Gismo'ed on the panel. The ECHO evidently was not any problem for setting up on the GRT, was straight forward from screen instructions. Previously the ECHO and SkyFyx had ONLY output via the WiFi signal that same data to the Ifly. It has been in service couple years without issue.

Last edited:
My EchoUAT is wired to my very old Sport SX and the GRT SafeFly 2020 WAAS gps is used for both ADSB position source, and as my primary gps for navigation.

This looks like a good solution - I am currently using a Sentry mini which is ok and costs about $300, but it has limitations in that it only sends out info via wifi - no wired option to the EFIS - and it does not have an external antenna, which means almost no matter where you install it in the cockpit, you'll have blind spots. This new GRT unit does both wifi and wired, and is less than $600.

The one that I really want is the "powerflarm fusion" - it does this, dual antennas, FLARM in/out (which is popular where I fly), Mode-S and ADS-B in, wifi to EFBs like foreflight, traffic wired to the EFIS and a lot of other stuff, but for about 3x the GRT price.

https://flarm.com/products/powerflarm/powerflarm-fusion/

To tack an extra question onto those posed by the OP...

If anybody has seen one of these devices in the flesh, what does the supplied antenna look like? I've not been able to find a picture on GRT's website.

In our case I installed a Pathfinder ADSB receiver. While it's a good unit its weakness is that it is single-frequency only, 978 UAT. With this being the case I'm missing out on all the 1090ES traffic. (I'm in Canada so yes, I'm missing the 1090ES traffic thanks to there being no terrestrial ADSB infrastructure here.)

I like the idea of the GRT product, particularly as I have a GRT HX, Mini-X and Sport EX in the panel. Having a GRT branded product would lead me to believe there should be solid compatibility between their ADSB receiver and their EFIS devices.

I'm happy to learn from the experiences of others so please do share your knowledge of the GRT Discovery device.

From the Discovery ADSB user/Installation manual on GRT's website:

"For maximum sensitivity, an external antenna is recommended. Although an antenna is included with the receiver, any external antenna designed for ADS-B may be used."

You are correct ...

Thanks for this feedback. My first thought is... "Really?" I was expecting something more like the TED "ball on the end of a short stick" antenna. Hmmm... now you've got me thinking! :eek:

Your expectations are the same as mine.

While I don't have this particular ADS-B receiver, in the very early days I did a lot of the initial testing of various ADS-B receivers (SkyRadar, Dual, iLevil, etc.) connected to the GRT EFIS products. Some devices come with a small removable antenna, some with internal, and most with the ability to attach an external.

I have two of the "TED ball on the end of a stick" antenna on my plane that I used for testing multiple devices at eh same time. These little "around the transponder frequency band" antennae work because the ADS-B range (978/1090 Mhz) is right in the region of transponders - 1090 Mhz (their original aircraft use).

I purchased a EchoUAT with GRT SafeFly WAAS GPS from GRT, all integrated with my old Sport SX, and seamlessly recently with my Sport 10.1 . ADSB antenna IN/OUT looks like a regular TED antenna (stick with a little ball) .

IF you want to avoid externals, I have good results installing $20 of 5db gain 978 and 1090 mhz SMA base Stratux type antennae by zip tying their bases through two short tubing standoffs to the sloped tube behind my slider's windshield.

Anybody know if you need a new stand alone antennae, or can you use existing adsb out antennae?

Do you mean, re-purpose an adsb out antenna for adsb-in? That should work.
Do you mean, hook up your adsb-in receiver to an antenna that is also used by the adsb-out transmitter? That should work for about 1 second, before the smoke comes out of your receiver.

I have a SkyRadar D2, feeding a GRT Hx via USB, my iPad (WingX) via WiFi. I unscrewed the two antennas (one 1090, the other 978 MHz) that came attached to the box, and glued them to the front left and right inside door posts (fiberglass, in a -10). Ran some coax (SMA connectors) back to the box. Works great.

Do you mean, re-purpose an adsb out antenna for adsb-in? That should work.
Do you mean, hook up your adsb-in receiver to an antenna that is also used by the adsb-out transmitter? That should work for about 1 second, before the smoke comes out of your receiver.

I have a SkyRadar D2, feeding a GRT Hx via USB, my iPad (WingX) via WiFi. I unscrewed the two antennas (one 1090, the other 978 MHz) that came attached to the box, and glued them to the front left and right inside door posts (fiberglass, in a -10). Ran some coax (SMA connectors) back to the box. Works great.
OK sorry for dumb question. Skyradar is exactly what I am replacing...except mine is intermittent to the GRT and does not generate a wifi signal. Its mounted in the turtle shell of my tip up canopy. Will probably just install the antennae it comes with instead of juryrig something -- I think part of the problem may be reception based on location.

OK sorry for dumb question. Skyradar is exactly what I am replacing...except mine is intermittent to the GRT and does not generate a wifi signal. Its mounted in the turtle shell of my tip up canopy. Will probably just install the antennae it comes with instead of juryrig something -- I think part of the problem may be reception based on location.

I have the SkyRadar D2 model. Cannot speak to other models. It’s only hard-wired output is via USB. That means it works with the Hx and HXr, does not work with the HS (not enough BW there), I don’t know about Sport versions or about newer grt stuff. The WiFi definitely works with my iPad mini wifi, running WingX, or the Skyradar software. I cannot speak to any other compatibilities.

Radenna Skyradar D2 and DX ( I have a DX) Works with GRT Sport SX. I USB it to a 12V powered hub, that runs to the EFIS USB port and also holds the memory USB stick and bluetooth dongle for the GRT Remote App.

Skyradar wifi is Apple iOS only as it is "AdHoc" type, non-Android.

Last edited:
Radenna Skyradar D2 and DX ( I have a DX) Works with GRT Sport SX. I USB it to a 12V powered hub, that runs to the EFIS USB port and also holds the memory USB stick and bluetooth dongle for the GRT Remote App.

Skyradar wifi is Apple iOS only as it is "AdHoc" type, non-Android.

I do not see the wifi signal available on any device -- iPad, andriod phone etc... I think for whatever reason mine is not enabled, inop, or otherwise toast.

GRT Discovery

I installed mine the first part of this year. Installation was simple, 4 wires and the antenna. The Wifi works fine and foreflight connected easily. I used a Delta Pop antenna on the belly instead of the one GRT included. The included antenna was a rabbit ear type mobile antenna.

I do not see the wifi signal available on any device -- iPad, andriod phone etc... I think for whatever reason mine is not enabled, inop, or otherwise toast.

Re: SkyRadar wifi. I presume you followed the instructions and downloaded the free ap to get the wifi set up and running.?

Re: SkyRadar wifi. I presume you followed the instructions and downloaded the free ap to get the wifi set up and running.?
So Skyradar was installed when I got it. I did read about the app but near as I can tell the app is no longer available in the app store -- unless they changed the name of it or something

Back