What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Optional Tip-Up Canopy Latch Warning Kits for RV-6/7/9

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Van's Aircraft has released a pair of new optional kits that will enable RV-6/7/9 owners to install safety-enhancing options that can help ensure pilots do not take off with their tip-up canopy unlatched, which can be a distracting and/or dangerous event.

For people with an RV-6/7/9 tip-up aircraft (and the "A" variants, of course), Van's has developed and released a new OP drawing as well as two safety-enhancing kits that owners can install. These kits provide the parts needed to install a tip-up canopy latch warning system. This system is designed to provide an audio warning/EFIS annunciation whenever a tip-up canopy is not properly closed/latched, and the engine RPM is above a threshold such as would be the case during an engine run-up or in flight (greater than 1600 RPM).

For aircraft with an EFIS installed, you can order part "TIP UP CANOPY LATCH WARNING" from Van's Aircraft. You can connect the warning system's switch wiring to an available analog input pin on your EFIS/EMS system, and configure your EFIS as per the "Canopy Warning Read-Me" instructions available from the Downloads page of the Van's Aircraft website. Refer to OP-61 for details.

If you have an aircraft without an EFIS installed, you'll need part "TIP UP CANOPY LATCH WARNING" as described above, plus part "AV-01957 INSTALL KIT," which provides the components needed to connect the latch/switch system to your intercom and generate audio alerts. Refer to OP-61, pages 04-06 for details.

We also updated RV-14 Section 38 to reflect the applicable revised latch parts (C-607-1 and C-609-1), which are common to the RV-6/7/9/14 models.

Both kits are available to order from Van's at the links above.​
tipper-canopy-latch-and-switch-grab.jpg
tipper-canopy-latch-and-switch-grab2.jpg
tipper-canopy-latch-and-switch-grab3.jpg

Last edited:
Canopy closed switch thoughts

Looks as if the canopy closed switch for the 6, 7, and 9 was an afterthought.
It stocks out in the way and hasd exposed wires. The switch should be more enclosed or behind the F768B-L. Doesn't look very professional.
Allen Blackwell

It stocks out in the way and hasd exposed wires. The switch should be more enclosed or behind the F768B-L. Doesn't look very professional.

It's a kit. If you want it to look professional, build it so it looks professional.

- mark

Allen Blackwell

Just for context, the un-cropped version of the photo used in OP-61 shows the Advanced Control Module and the other "exposed wires" that are very commonly seen when avionics are mounted to the aft side of the F-768B sub-panel.

Look at it this way, how many builders (or maintainers) want to panel-dive behind the sub-panel when an item can be mounted in an easily accessible area behind the instrument panel? This microswitch requires adjustment during installation and that would be much more difficult to perform if you had to panel-dive.

NOTE: there should be an MS25171-3S Terminal Boot on the ACM positive terminal.

Attachments

• 20200213_080251.jpg
    20200213_080251.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Cool that Vans has an official way to do this now. I wouldn't have thought to put the switch there! I chose to do two switches, one on each of the "fingers" that engage the canopy hardware when you close the latch:

Cool that Vans has an official way to do this now. I wouldn't have thought to put the switch there! I chose to do two switches, one on each of the "fingers" that engage the canopy hardware when you close the latch:

The system from vans does have two switches. It is designed to assure that it can’t accidentally detect the canopy closed and latched, when it actually isn’t.
One switch detects the physical position of the canopy latch mechanism and the other detects the actual physical position of the canopy.

The system from vans does have two switches. It is designed to assure that it can’t accidentally detect the canopy closed and latched, when it actually isn’t.
One switch detects the physical position of the canopy latch mechanism and the other detects the actual physical position of the canopy.

Wow, I'm dumb. Didn't notice the second switch in the latch itself. Nice design.

Good idea and very simple

Well I have seen a few tip-up take-off with the canopy not latched. This now will hopefully eliminate this.

Well I have seen a few tip-up take-off with the canopy not latched. This now will hopefully eliminate this.

Been there, done that. A non-event.

This looks like a nice-to-have thing, and I'd have probably put it in during the build, but 10 years on, too much effort.

For a retro fit, it’s much easier and cheaper to add a contact switch to the canopy latch as Draker has done. Mine is configured to contact the latch lug so it cannot be tripped without the canopy being closed and latched, so only one switch is needed. Switches available at Amazon-10 for $6. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZVJD1GC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I glued mine on with RTV and it seems quite secure. Quick and easy. My plan is to drill for a #4 bolt only if needed because failure would only result in an “OPEN” indication which could be quickly and easily identified as false.

Attachments

• Latch 4.jpeg
    Latch 4.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Latch 5.jpg
    Latch 5.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 108

Been there, done that. A non-event.

I've done it, and I don't think I'd be so calvaier with it as to say "non-event". Keeping the passenger calm while she held on to that handle was an extra task while coordinating a quick return to a rather busy non-towered airport.

To your other point about "nice to have": You may be correct. I doubt many of us who have missed it once would ever miss it a second time.

[And the passegner in question still flies with me often, and she has a memory like an ele... well, she has a good memory]

Last edited:
For a retro fit, it’s much easier and cheaper to add a contact switch to the canopy latch as Draker has done. Mine is configured to contact the latch lug so it cannot be tripped without the canopy being closed and latched, so only one switch is needed. Switches available at Amazon-10 for $6. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZVJD1GC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I glued mine on with RTV and it seems quite secure. Quick and easy. My plan is to drill for a #4 bolt only if needed because failure would only result in an “OPEN” indication which could be quickly and easily identified as false.

Best tip of the day..... Cheap and simple.
canopy alarm.JPG
Weighs less than the kit from Van's.... run one (ground) wire and you're done.
I will fit mine on the front, like the picture, but mount it on the back
to make it disappear.

As mentioned above, you only do it once. My RV is very trim neutral and saved my stupid a$$...

I had just lifted off, and the canopy started to float. Without thinking, my throttle hand grabbed the handle and at the same time, my stick hand latched the canopy. No one was flying the airplane..... it just happened to be in prefect trim and just carried on.

Please understand, this was NOT a planned action, it was a stupid reaction that the airplane saved me from.

Back