What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skytech lightweight starter problem

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Just had the first kickback ever on my -7 (680 hours) this morning and it broke the front casting off the skytech lightweight starter:mad:. I assume a new starter is required and the question is another skytech, B&C or other choices. Up front weight is not an issue with the -7 so a heavier starter is fine.
Recommendations, and any installation issues with a different brand?
Figs

I prefer the other type of skytech starter, I think it is NL or something like that. More robust and with a shear pin to break instead of the casting. Also no solenoid to go bad. I have over 800 hours on the one in my 6. I feel it is a good starter.

More important is to find the cause of the kickback. While they can sometimes just happen (usually AFTER the starter is disengaged), most likely is timing too advanced. If Pmags, check to be sure that the timing didn't reset itself, as it seems the older ones liked to do that sometimes on their own. If mags, check for a broken impulse coupling. With the impulse working, timing is retarded to either 0 or 5 degrees at starting RPMs, to avoid kick backs. If it breaks, that mag will be firing at full advance and will cause kick backs during starting. That said, often a mag will not fire at starting RPMs without the impulse coupling, though many times they will if the e gap is just right and the RPMs are good (e.g. battery is strong and temps are warm). This is why we only start on the impulse mag. Could also be a failed key switch that is not grounding the non-impulse mag and allowing it to fire at full advance.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks Larry, looks like the 149-NL is the way to go, the B&C starter is back ordered until late July and with today's supply chain issues you probably cannot bank on that.
With respect to the backfire I run mags and I backed off the key start position right when it fired after blade 3, never happened before. Usually starts on 2 blades so I thought I had not primed enough. Lightweight Catto prop.
Figs

Sorry to hear about your starter issue... and the supply chain woes

Darren at Aerosport recommended the -NL starter for my IO-360 running dual EFII ignition. I asked him for the most bullet proof starter made, and that was his choice (turns out it's also one of the heavier ones too). Been rock solid after about 160 hours and a few "kickback" events on start. I do believe the EFII runs pretty advanced but don't have any data to back that up. Kickbacks always seem to occur when I get over zealous while priming.

My Catto 3 blade has a Saber weight up front for CG adjustment in the -7. I will say that it seems to smooth everything out, possibly adding momentum during the start.

Best of luck!

I went from the LS to the NL. You will like it better as it has more torque on starts. It is about a pound heavier.

Just had the first kickback ever on my -7 (680 hours) this morning and it broke the front casting off the skytech lightweight starter:mad:. I assume a new starter is required and the question is another skytech, B&C or other choices. Up front weight is not an issue with the -7 so a heavier starter is fine.
Recommendations, and any installation issues with a different brand?
Figs

Search for a 4-10-22 thread "B&C starter as opposed to skytec LS that went south 2 times." that discusses this at length.

Bottom line is if you are going to switch starters the Skytec 149NL is a good choice. That's what I did.

Chris

As usual VAF to the rescue, got a call from a VAF friend with a spare LS starter, shipping it to me this week, I think I will also order a NL version as suggested and install later for peace of mind.
Figs

Back