What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ONSPEED with Skyview?

Is there a way to fly Vic's "ONSPEED" technique using a Dynon Skyview?

I think you mean Vacc...

As for flying OnSpeed with SkyView, the only way that currently supported is a full OnSpeed installation with the black box IMU and an optional display. The IMU connects to the SkyView and uses airdata information from the SV to assist the IMU. Note: the IMU does not have a magnetic sensor (...yet, cough), so it can be mounted almost anywhere, oriented with the aircraft axes.

The IMU does it magic and generates stereo tones and provides a serial data stream that is used for the optional glareshield display (MakerPlane sells the huVVer-AVI display that I designed and will eventually supply the OnSpeed IMU as well).

3FFAE3BB-6730-481A-B087-06B0AA587DC1.jpg

The OnSpeed IMU is sistered with the Dynon ADAHRS, then connected to the audio system, flaps position sensor and display.

E7062B36-DD59-463C-ADF1-18F48D570E31.jpg

The Glareshield display (temporarily attached), along with other flight instruments. The red light on the knob is part of the OnSpeed system, for controlling volume and on/off control.

In this photo, the SkyView is driving the six-pack, but with a button push, I can select the OnSpeed IMU as the primary source. Since the IMU does not provide Heading info, I would then have to navigate visually or use my iPhone.

I will admit that the EFIS vendors could ultimately support the OnSpeed technology without this extra hardware, but currently they have little motivation to do so. At OnSpeed we are developing all of the technology and flying all the test sorties to prove the math, hardware, software, and calibration methods for an accurate and trustworthy systems. There is a tight coupling between hardware design and software design and we control all the variables so we can optimize as required.

I have never really trusted the EFIS vendors' AOA systems because they seem to be just fancy stall warning systems. Vacc has been flying the impossible turns with his flight instruments covered up using OnSpeed as the primary reference. Try that (actually don't) with your grandfather's AOA system. [disclaimer, I am a grandfather and I have built AOA systems].

Vern

Last edited:
Ivan,

If you're asking about the capabilities of the Skyview in regards to flying AOA, then yes there are some built in. There is an explanation on Dynon's site and in the User's manual.

On the Skyview, the AOA on the display can be presented as a typical column with color coded sections and chevrons, and audio tones when you approach stall AOA.

This is way simple compared to what Vern is describing, but this is what the Skyview can do.

I'll say that in my experience, the AOA display on the PFD is not super useful (to me at least) as I use AOA when slow and maneuvering in the traffic pattern, so both eyes are up. The tone on the other hand is great! When slow, it'll give you a quick beep when in a turn or hitting a bump, drawing your scan back in for a quick peak at the airspeed. Very useful.

Also, the tones are a nice feedback when doing acro. You'll get a tone right about the time the controls start go slack (say over the top in a slow entry loop or wingover) and remind you to pay attention to the feedback in your seat and the stick. All part of learning the new plane.

As one last comment, I flew for a number of years using only AOA for approach and landing in military jets, and like many others have bet my life on it working well. Having said that, the light aircraft GA world (IMO) is a different animal compared to my previous experience, and it'll be up to the user to decide how valuable it will be in actual use. The debate will continue!

Best of luck with all the choices that await! Cheers

On Speed AOA

Hi Bill,
I am building an On Speed AOA module and will be installing it soon when I do my Condition Inspection. I did the calibration procedure for the HDX system and was disappointed with the performance. Did the calibration again with not much change- came to the conclusion it was a pretty good stall indicator but not very good at providing AOA so decided to build an On Speed module. Been difficult to get all the parts from supply houses but have had a lot of help from the On Speed team so now have all the parts - one board fully assembled and software loaded. Now need to do the install and flight calibration. The big question is what use is it going be put to? Low speed maneuvers, Carson cruise speed determination, education and fun projects? How much reliance and confidence is reasonable and should be placed on this unit when doing turnback power out maneuvers for real?
The developmental units available to date don't have provisions for fault detection and annunciation so system faults like software or computational hardware failures may or may not be annunciated. As you note - a big difference from the integrity and availability of military and heavy metal you are currently flying. Functional redundancy is another area to be addressed. These features may not be needed or provided depending on how this AOA system is used however if I was considering only flying on an AOA indicator I would want the equivalent integrity, availability and fault annunciation of a steam gage ASI in the RV world. I think there are many ways to provide that level of integrity, availability and fault annunciation for an airflow pressure AOA probe system comparable to what is available in the certified GA world but there is lots of work to be done in that direction when it gets addressed.

Keith

Hi Bill,
I am building an On Speed AOA module and will be installing it soon when I do my Condition Inspection. I did the calibration procedure for the HDX system and was disappointed with the performance. Did the calibration again with not much change- came to the conclusion it was a pretty good stall indicator but not very good at providing AOA so decided to build an On Speed module. Been difficult to get all the parts from supply houses but have had a lot of help from the On Speed team so now have all the parts - one board fully assembled and software loaded. Now need to do the install and flight calibration. The big question is what use is it going be put to? Low speed maneuvers, Carson cruise speed determination, education and fun projects? How much reliance and confidence is reasonable and should be placed on this unit when doing turnback power out maneuvers for real?
The developmental units available to date don't have provisions for fault detection and annunciation so system faults like software or computational hardware failures may or may not be annunciated. As you note - a big difference from the integrity and availability of military and heavy metal you are currently flying. Functional redundancy is another area to be addressed. These features may not be needed or provided depending on how this AOA system is used however if I was considering only flying on an AOA indicator I would want the equivalent integrity, availability and fault annunciation of a steam gage ASI in the RV world. I think there are many ways to provide that level of integrity, availability and fault annunciation for an airflow pressure AOA probe system comparable to what is available in the certified GA world but there is lots of work to be done in that direction when it gets addressed.

Keith

Rather sad commentary that Dynon's AOA is not up to the Job.
AOA is supposed to keep us safe.

All AOA should be able to fly "On Speed" !

Max

Rather sad commentary that Dynon's AOA is not up to the Job.
AOA is supposed to keep us safe.

All AOA should be able to fly "On Speed" !

Max

I think it depends on what you want (expect) from an AOA system. For me the display in not very usable - small, down on the instrument panel and not instantly readable. The audio is usable but not like the On Speed module. If the Dynon AOA was customizable I might have been more persuaded to spend more effort to make the Dynon AOA work rather than build an OnSpeed unit. As a stall warning unit it works well and is as advertised.

KT

Back