What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting cost

It's going to depend heavily on the scheme and the selected paint. Somewhere between a new Kia Soul and a Honda Accord.

JetGlo is going to set you back around 800$ a gallon, depending on color. That includes hardener and thinner. Imron is about the same. Select something from Aircraft Spruce, and you will be under about 400$ a gallon. Prep, primer, application, control rebalance and reassembly will roundout the labor side of the cost.

Had mine professionally done with DuPont Imron - finish is tough as nails and a beautiful job. $2400. OK, that was 23 years ago..

It's going to depend heavily on the scheme and the selected paint. Somewhere between a new Kia Soul and a Honda Accord.

JetGlo is going to set you back around 800$ a gallon, depending on color. That includes hardener and thinner. Imron is about the same. Select something from Aircraft Spruce, and you will be under about 400$ a gallon. Prep, primer, application, control rebalance and reassembly will roundout the labor side of the cost.

It appears that a Kia Sol starts at about 20k. A Honda Accord starts at just under 30k. Is that accurate?

Wow. From what friends have paid to have planes painted, I'd guess at least $8,000. You get what you pay for, one friend had discount car painters do it and it appears they used a brush.

It appears that a Kia Sol starts at about 20k. A Honda Accord starts at just under 30k. Is that accurate?

Yep...You have to figure that a quality paint job is going to require at least 100 manhours to remove the controls, prep all surfaces, shoot the base coat of paint, rebalance the controls and reinstall them. Add on anything but a single color, and then the N number, and it's more hours.

Just for a time example, when we paint the stars and bars on an L-5, it's about 15 manhours to lay them out and shoot all three colors, and then touch up the edges as necessary.

A quality job is going to take a large number of hours compared to a slap-dash job. You've got a lot of your hard earned dollars in your project and you want a paint job that is better than Macco, but doesn't have to be a concurs level either.

It all depends.

$5K if you do the prep work and have a shop spray it (and don't have an insane paint scheme in mind). $25K if you take it to one of the big name shops and hand them the keys for the full monty, including a complicated scheme.

What does it cost to have a two seat RV professionally painted these days?

The final invoice for my RV-6 was about NZ$31,000, including the cost of the paint masks I had to have made by a local signwriter. At the current USD vs NZD exchange rate this equates to approximately US$21,700. While I appreciate there are a lot of variables which make it difficult to compare directly between countries, I would be very surprised if it cost you less than US$20K for a professional paint job, especially if you're expecting something like the award-winning show planes we see proudly displayed around the world.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

Unless you want concourse level…

Exactly. You know how many Oshkosh award winners there are a year? Ain't many. If that's your goal, there are a handful of shops (and some extremely talented amateurs) who can create a show winning finish.

If that isn't your goal, there's no need to spend new car money to paint an airplane. Spend the extra $10K on fuel.

Spend the extra $10K on fuel.

Good advice. 6-figure, award-winning RV's are an everyday thing. Put the money and effort into flying, not winning some Holy Grail contest. I believe this is the original vision Mr VanGrunsven had for his wonderful designs.

FWIW.. I recently did some 2-stage paint work on my van, no prior experience. It turned out great! The new paints and guns are very easy to use, and learning a new skill was fun.

Last edited:
Paint it myself

I’m going to be into my DIY paint job on my RV-9A for about $2,500 when I’m done next month. Using automotive base coat/clear coat system. Figured if I built the plane then I might as well try one more skill learning test and paint it myself.

One indisputable fact, prep work is easily 5x the labor time as spraying paint.

Right wing completed today.

Attachments

• IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 99
I’m going to be into my DIY paint job on my RV-9A for about $2,500 when I’m done next month. Using automotive base coat/clear coat system. Figured if I built the plane then I might as well try one more skill learning test and paint it myself. SNIP

Yep - my approach for the first three builds. PPG urethane base and clear, and at least one color a three stage system (as in color, pearl, clear). The thought of doing another plane however just makes my arm ache.

I priced out just paint and material for the new RV-10 and it is well north of $7K. I’m looking for a good shop that will do at least as well as I can do for under $20K. I’ll even throw in my doing disassembly and reassembly.

Carl

Bigger than an RV, but a friend had his 182 painted recently. It came out to 25 grand, and I think that was with a bit of a bro deal, too.

Paint

I’m going to be into my DIY paint job on my RV-9A for about $2,500 when I’m done next month. Using automotive base coat/clear coat system. Figured if I built the plane then I might as well try one more skill learning test and paint it myself.

I went a totally different route.
I painted all the fiberglass with Kirker EnduroPrime and single stage UltraGlo
All the aluminum will be 3M 2080 Vinyl.
The paint was less than $200 for primer and paint.
The vinyl was about $1,000 for two full rolls.
I can change colors without stripping paint.
I calculated weight for vinyl. About half of paint.
20221028_160246.jpg

Tell me more, tell me more...

I went a totally different route.
I painted all the fiberglass with Kirker EnduroPrime and single stage UltraGlo
All the aluminum will be 3M 2080 Vinyl.
The paint was less than $200 for primer and paint.
The vinyl was about $1,000 for two full rolls.
I can change colors without stripping paint.
I calculated weight for vinyl. About half of paint.
View attachment 42940

As Olivia-Newton John said, "tell me more, tell me more, tell me more..."

Are you planning on corrosion treatment underneath?

How easy is it to get a design printed on the vinyl?

Did you vacuum bag it to get all the air out?

Last edited:
Vinyl

It was all about weight and I didn't want to mess with polish.

Entire exterior was alodined. Some prime, but again, it was all about weight. Race cars have been vinyl wrapped for years. Makes it easy to change sponsor graphics.

Mine has no design. One color. KISS.
That's not difficult. Added cost. Design on Adobe Illustrator. Have it printed with overlaps where they need to be located. The other option is just apply stripes or whatever over the base color. Any vinyl graphics company can help.

No vacuum necessary with new vinyl products. Just apply. Some use Rapid Tac and apply it wet. Adhesives are pressure activated. I've got three samples that have been outside for years. Bare, Alodine and P60G2. No edges have lifted. Colorado sun, snow, rain, hail and bouncing down the road from 80mph winds. Plan is to peel them before applying the vinyl to the airplane and see what happened underneath.

My panel is printed on carbon fiber vinyl
20230310_152351.jpg

My hangar neighbor has his Zenith vinyl wrapped and the vinyl coating looks great 5 years after it was applied. People think the plane is pained but it's not. The coating lasts really long if the plane is stored inside the hangar, away from the constant UV exposure.

I can relate to this when I painted my RV8 in the backyard last year. Most of the work was in the masking, prepping, and lots and lots of sanding. But DIY paint has its limitation. One thing I notice from having a hangar close to the aircraft paint shop on the field, many of the RV owners are getting their birds professionally re-painted after flying them for over 10 years with the original DIY paint. The prices of RV have risen so much that a new professional paint job will increase the resale value.

For those that decided to do it themselves, please, please,please, read the SDS/MSDS paperwork with whatever type or system of paint you choose and use the correct PPE for it. The toxicity and damages that these compounds can cause are not worth taking a chance on not using the correct PPE.

We lost a talented welder/sheet metal guy on the field I used to fly from, due to not wearing PPE while using highly toxic paints. A double lung and heart transplant didn't give him but a year and a half of life.

Agreed

Unless you want concourse level…

It's hard to put a price on the satisfaction you get every time you look at your airplane and smile. It's also nice when people see the plane and tell you "that's the nicest RV I've ever seen".

To me it's like buying Snap-On tools versus Harbor Freight. You only cry once (when you pay the bill), but you get to enjoy the benefits for many years afterwards.

It's hard to put a price on the satisfaction you get every time you look at your airplane and smile. It's also nice when people see the plane and tell you "that's the nicest RV I've ever seen".

To me it's like buying Snap-On tools versus Harbor Freight. You only cry once (when you pay the bill), but you get to enjoy the benefits for many years afterwards.

By this do you mean receiving compliments for someone else's work? The satisfaction is 10-times greater knowing you did the work yourself. Anyone can sign a check - that takes no effort or talent whatsoever.

Last edited:
Another datapoint...

I just paid $11K for this paint job - it included stripping the prior paint, alodine, primer, and topcoat (Imron).

IMG-4183.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

By this do you mean receiving compliments for someone else's work? The satisfaction is 10-times greater knowing you did the work yourself. Anyone can sign a check - that takes no effort or talent whatsoever.

Or, you can look at it as working smarter. Painting is an art. Currently, a very expensive art. I think it is safe to say a good number of people would rather have someone who has the tools, facilities, and expertise paint their build.

As far as the satisfaction part, I think the greatest satisfaction comes from completing a flyable aircraft, paint is just a detail. Unless you fabricated every part of your RV, you are, by your logic, taking credit for someone else’s work; indeed, you wrote the check, as well.

Unless you fabricated every part of your RV, you are, by your logic, taking credit for someone else’s work; indeed, you wrote the check, as well.

I never take credit for the pre-fabricated parts or paint. Even though it took me 11 years to complete my "slow-build" kit, I let people know I made SOME of the parts. The simple point is, don't take credit for work you didn't do. Half the RV's out there aren't owner-built, which means the owner did nothing. Frankly, that runs contrary to the original spirit and intent behind these airplanes.

I never take credit for the pre-fabricated parts or paint. Even though it took me 11 years to complete my "slow-build" kit, I let people know I made SOME of the parts. The simple point is, don't take credit for work you didn't do. Half the RV's out there aren't owner-built, which means the owner did nothing. Frankly, that runs contrary to the original spirit and intent behind these airplanes.

Nine years for my -10. When people ask if I built it, I say yes. Which is 100% true; I built it from a KIT...and yes, I had a professional paint it. I also make that known, as that particular professional is arguably the best in the business!

Yes! Whenever a homebuilt shows up at my airport I always talk to the owner. So far I haven't met a builder. If it's a Lancair or Glasair I know not to even ask if they built it.
There must be a lot of builders that enjoy the build more than flying...

Professional painters

If you do decide to find a “professional painter” suggest look at 3 or 4 that they’ve done. I’ve seen to many badly done airframes.

Since I primed the entire interior and sprayed the cabin with rattle-can, I know for 100% sure I suck at painting and doing it myself would be endless misery and frustration.

I requested estimates from five well-known California paint shops for doing my RV-7A (simple two-toned job with N numbers) and got four quotes from $13,000 to $18,300. One of them never got me an estimate despite me calling them up and talking to them three times. Guess they don't need customers.

Will be going with one in the middle of the price range who came extremely highly recommended, and had a slot as soon as September. I've seen up close the work they've done, and it is very nice.

about the vinyl idea...
My "RV" is a class C motorhome. Just daydreaming about the aircraft at this point....
anyway, it's a 2013 model, been out in the FL weather for 11-12 years. It has those vinyl graphic "swoosh" decals all over it. The fiberglass surfaces have faded horribly and I can't bring them back with anything I've tried. Graphics don't look great either....some are seriously shrunken and cracking but most will still clean up decently.

Anyway, the reason for my reply... my bit of experience in the vinyl wrap area....last year I decided to do a DIY paint job using marine topside paint. Planning to roll and tip, not spray. I've seen some very nice glossy finishes done this way and figure it'll be good enough and should be very durable. Professional paint would nearly total the thing, so that's out. I did consider vinyl wrapping, but the qtes I got to do it professionally were staggering. Still might reconsider a diy wrap instead of paint though....

1st step is to remove the graphics. Sadly the project has been put on the back burner a lot so I haven't gotten very far past the experimentation phase... trying to determine how to do it. Abt the only thing I haven't tried is the really high power paint strippers. It's not very easy and is certainly not a quick job! heat helps but it's still slow going. 3m eraser wheels work great bit are slow and tedious. Fastest is an oscillating tool with scraper blade, but that scratches the surface...and then there's the sticky residue that's left behind.
I'm not so sure I'd want to be messing with this on an aircraft skin....

I don't know, maybe the better quality full sheet stuff will be different.

Blw2: Try heating an edge with a heat gun, then lifting the edge with a razor blade. Then use the heat gun to heat the vinyl ahead of where you are lifting it. Point the gun sorta parallel to the face of the structure, with the air flow going in the direction you are pulling the vinyl.

Last edited:
Geez, mine cost $10,000 back in 2013. If I had to pay $31000 today, I guess mine would just be all
vanilla white.

Writing out the cheque

While it certainly doesn't take any talent to write out the cheque for the paint job I do not consider myself to be talentless in completing my RV-6. I'm very proud of the quality of my workmanship and the countless small improvements embodied along the way. But after 27 years of building and considering the quality of the construction, the last thing I wanted to do is ruin the visual appeal by applying a **** paint job.

In my time as an engineer I've stripped and painted a C185, a C207, a C172 and completed dozens of repairs that have required subsequent painting of large surfaces. I know I can paint. Sadly, due to a lack of PPE in my early days the paint now makes me feel crook so long ago I took the position that it would be better to save my money over time and then pay a professional complete the job. No mess at home. No smelly paint for the wife to complain about. No fumes to make me ill.

Yes, it cost a lot more than I had hoped. No I do not regret it. Even a small aircraft such as we are building have an enormous surface area and its a monumental undertaking.

I also consider that people judge your aircraft in three primary ways. First they look at the overall aircraft and if it has nice lines you get a tick. Then they look at the paint job and if they like what they see, you get a tick. Then they look at your panel and if they like what they see, you get a tick. Then they walk away. We can't really change the lines of our chosen aircraft but we can directly influence the paint job and the instrument panel. So I would rather be accused of being "talentless" and pay the painter to get a good outcome than take the risk of doing it myself and mucking it up. He can do a better job of it, guarantees his work, has the equipment and the facilities, knows the intricacies of the products and has the time I do not have to do the work.

I absolutely take my hat off to those who paint their own aircraft and especially to those whose efforts result in a magical outcome. They have my upmost respect. However I'm a realist and paying a professional to do the job was the best way forward for me and I have no doubt it is the same for more than 80% of other builders. You typically only get one shot at it and its too expensive to remove and try again.

Back