What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

crankcase bolts torque

prkaye

Well Known Member
For the bolts between the crankcase halves along the seam at the top of the engine (O-320), what is the appropriate torque value?

Whatever the maintenance manual says. You should be looking there, not here.
The one thing FAA inspectors would be looking for when checking maintenance operations at the airlines was a CURRENT approved reference for whatever we were working on. For good reason.

For the bolts between the crankcase halves along the seam at the top of the engine (O-320), what is the appropriate torque value?

Sounds like you are referring to the 1/4-20 spline bolts. Download SSP-1776 and search for "Table I".

96 to 106 in-lbs.

Attachments

• Capture d_écran, le 2020-12-08 aÌ€ 08.40.21.png
    Capture d_écran, le 2020-12-08 à 08.40.21.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 68
Thanks guys! I'm referring to the bolts acros the top center along the length of the engine. As shown in this photo, where i have to remove and reinstall those bolts to attach the forward and aft baffling center brackets. I just want to make sure that torque them back correctly.

And i just looked carefully at vans drawing OP-44 which says "NOTE: Lycoming torque for a 1/4 case bolt is 96 in-lb".
:)

Last edited:
Back