What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick and Rudder refresh

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Wolfgang Langewiesche wrote the book “Stick and Rudder” in 1944.

43 years ago my flight instructor required me to read this book. I came across this in Audible at the typical price most pilots appreciate, free! (if you have an Audible account). My son is finishing up on his PPL, so I told him to listen to it, and I also just finished up listening to it. My son and I have had some great discussions concerning avoiding stall spins and differences between good and bad piloting skills.

I encourage everyone to get this book. The information in it is as valuable now as it was back then. And it even provides some humor, since some terminology, etc was different back then.

Last edited:
Stick & Rudder

Wolfgang Langewiesche wrote the book “Stick and Rudder” in 1944.

43 years ago my flight instructor required me to read this book. I came across this in Audible at the typical price most pilots appreciate, free! (if you have an Audible account). My son is finishing up on his PPL, so I told him to listen to it, and I also just finished up listening to it. My son and I have had some great discussions concerning avoiding stall spins and differences between good and bad piloting skills.

I encourage everyone to get this book. The information in it is as valuable now as it was back then. And it even provides some humor, since some terminology, etc was different back then.

Mine copy is right beside me.

My copy is right here on my desk - been using it to prepare for a Webinar I am giving for EAA in a couple of weeks on AoA…. To quote:

“The story of Angle of Attack is in a way THE theory of flight. It is almost literally all there is to flight….”

Wolfgang Langewiesche
(Written in 1944!)

Paul

Wolfgang

Wolfgang's first book was "I'll Take the High Road." It was my earliest inspiration at a very young age. He made two off airport landings in GA due to weather. I have a photo copy of the page from his log book for the off airport landings. At that time he was renting airplanes at Hightstown NJ. Operator was Al Bennett, the world's greatest airplane salesman. Later VP of Taylorcraft.
I have Air Facts Magazines with multiple articles by Wolfgang.
I was based at Princeton NJ when he kept a 182 there. One morning he was my only passenger in a Piper Aztec from Princeton to JFK.

Back