What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USB plus Clock

TimSPEED

Hi everyone.
I am looking for options regarding a combined USB and a digital clock. I have seen the options from Mid-Continent but they seem a little pricey for what they are, so wondering if there are any other options.
Thanks

Unless they contain an internal battery, clocks need a "keep alive" wire that will slowly drain the ships battery. Some drain faster than others, just be aware. Or, you need to reset them every time you go fly.

I would suspect any device that is more than just a clock to be a heavier drain.

Flight Data Systems makes good stuff, I have used their products without any issues, but have not used their clock.

Standby current draw

Unless they contain an internal battery, clocks need a "keep alive" wire that will slowly drain the ships battery. Some drain faster than others, just be aware. Or, you need to reset them every time you go fly.

I would suspect any device that is more than just a clock to be a heavier drain.

Flight Data Systems makes good stuff, I have used their products without any issues, but have not used their clock.

That’s a very good point. The FAQ says the GT-50 draws 0.8mA:

http://www.fdatasystems.com/faqs#GT-50

(I don’t have any Flight data systems stuff but thinking about their GT-50 and CO detector)

Don H

Amp draw

My single seat experimental I installed a GT-50 and after 3 weeks the voltage on the main bus is down MAYBE 0.1 to 0.2 volts. It's a nice simple and dependable unit.

I don’t have any Flight data systems stuff but thinking about their GT-50 and CO detector
Don H

I have the CO detector in my current plane, and had one in the RV 10 before that. Nice units, and they have one of the longer lasting detector elements out there.

Any GPS will have a clock kept alive internally and you can see it on every flight. Your cell phone has a clock in it that likewise will stay accurate. Just put a dual USB jack in the panel and forget the clock?

I have a GT-50 and echo its stated qualities. I agree that a USB port can be added so easily and inexpensively that it can be separate from any clock/timer unit.

GT-50. Really enjoy it, the G meter and volt meter functions. Does a good job of keeping the phone charged also

Back