What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JPI EDM 350 troubleshooting

beberle

Replacing my VM1000 w/ the EDM 350. Running across some strange problems. Unfortunately, JPI is non-responsive to emails and a call to ‘tech support’ resulted in 30min on hold before I gave up.

- EDM doesn’t recognize my resistive senders. It’s configured for resistive. Multimeter showes 79 and 58ohms for L & R tanks at the correct pins on the EDM.

-EDM doesn’t see the MAP sensor even though it’s their brand new sensor & harness.

- I read something else that the Tach won’t recognize until I run the engine? So far, no Tach recognized as well.

Thanks for any tips,
Brian

JPI provides the appropriate interface hardware (the P5 harness and any associated signal conditioners) based on information you provided when your
order was placed. Once installation is completed, you will perform a fuel level calibration. The EDM stores this calibration internally.
NOTE: The fuel quantity function will not be available until this calibration has been performed successfully.

The manifold pressure must be calibrated to the ambient air pressure.

You must have the correct RPM sensor for the magneto installed in the
aircraft.

Good luck

https://www.jpinstruments.com/wp-co...Install-350-Experimental-REV-A-7-10-21Joe.pdf

JPI provides the appropriate interface hardware (the P5 harness and any associated signal conditioners) based on information you provided when your
order was placed. Once installation is completed, you will perform a fuel level calibration. The EDM stores this calibration internally.
NOTE: The fuel quantity function will not be available until this calibration has been performed successfully.

The manifold pressure must be calibrated to the ambient air pressure.

You must have the correct RPM sensor for the magneto installed in the
aircraft.

Good luck

https://www.jpinstruments.com/wp-co...Install-350-Experimental-REV-A-7-10-21Joe.pdf

Good info here, I'll add.... if you are using the Bendix tach sensor (dont know about Slick), it has to be in the correct vent port. Each mag has 2 ports, one has the magnet that the JPI sensor needs to read RPM, the other one does not. I initially installed mine in the wrong vent port.

Replacing my VM1000 w/ the EDM 350. Running across some strange problems. Unfortunately, JPI is non-responsive to emails and a call to ‘tech support’ resulted in 30min on hold before I gave up.

- EDM doesn’t recognize my resistive senders. It’s configured for resistive. Multimeter showes 79 and 58ohms for L & R tanks at the correct pins on the EDM.

-EDM doesn’t see the MAP sensor even though it’s their brand new sensor & harness.

- I read something else that the Tach won’t recognize until I run the engine? So far, no Tach recognized as well.

Thanks for any tips,
Brian

Interesting timing! I just exchanged the latest of several emails with Branch Talley in JPI tech support concerning setup of the EDM-350 I just installed in my RV-6. Branch has been responsive but it is some undocumented "features" in the 350 software that made the setup somewhat awkward. But it seems to be sorted out now and I think I will like the EDM-350.

Run the engine for several minutes, it takes a few seconds for rpm to appear and then it took awhile for the 350 to locate the fuel flow sensor. At that point the device reset and ran another sensor scan. Have the display options set to "Automatic" (Factory programming section) and then do an engine run, maybe it will find the MAP sensor when it rescans.

I ended up needing to do a Factory Reset in order to get everything sorted on my device. I didn't want fuel gauges since I already have a good calibrated fuel gauge (EI) but the 350 insisted on defaulting to fuel gauges. Took several attempts to figure out how to tell the software fuel gauges weren't desired (tech support wasn't up to speed on this...). I was told power conditioners aren't required for resistive senders.

Last edited:
Vans Air Force comes to the rescue again! ;-)
I have the factory P5 harness and fuel sensor lines as well as manifold pressure sensor and FloScan fuel flow sensor.
Didn't see an option to calibrate the fuel levels or Manifold pressure. I'll look closer. I was seriously doubting my technical skills for a second after so many things failed to be discovered on power-up!! :rolleyes:

Brian

Vans Air Force comes to the rescue again! ;-)
I have the factory P5 harness and fuel sensor lines as well as manifold pressure sensor and FloScan fuel flow sensor.
Didn't see an option to calibrate the fuel levels or Manifold pressure. I'll look closer. I was seriously doubting my technical skills for a second after so many things failed to be discovered on power-up!! :rolleyes:

Brian

Get familiar with both the Pilot Programming Mode and Factory Programming Mode. The parameters you need are located in both sections. You have access to Factory Mode at the end of Pilot Mode. The software is not very user friendly, I went through it many times before I figured out how it "thought" and where all the bells and whistles are located.

Back