What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flyleds wingtip board fitment

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I had to think a bit to get the Flyleds boards flat on the wingtips for my RV8 installation. The best solution was to round the bottom backside of the landing light board to fit in the round bottom of the wingtip light cavity. A picture of it is attached. The bottom board in the second picture is not trimmed yet.

I also found it helpful to drill the attachment holes before finishing the cutout behind the board to avoid getting too close to them when trimming.

When I read the instructions I was tempted to solder and then fit but fitting the board to the tip was much better without components on the board.

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 70640712175__48E0E0FE-9BCF-4889-A9A2-5D8A7AFCD007.jpg
    70640712175__48E0E0FE-9BCF-4889-A9A2-5D8A7AFCD007.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I also was challenged trying to get the Flyleds boards to fit in my RV7A batwing tips. It took a lot of hand filing, refitting and more filing. Here’s my hint, be sure to periodically test fit your lens cover over the trimmed boards in position to make sure everything fits securely. If not, more trimming is required.

I also ran out of room for nut plates on my wing tips so I had to use stainless steel screws with small washers and locking nuts. Very tight fit but it worked and is secure.

I also got some longer light adjustment screws for the landing lights. The ones supplied were too short to work in the confined space during installation.

Last edited:
Back