What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USPS priority mail international to Canada from Vans

prkaye

Well Known Member
Question for Canadians - do any of you have experience with orders from Vans that ship by USPS Priority Mail International Parcels? What has your experience been like in tersm of delivery time to you after it was shipped from Vans? Are you able to track the package after it enters Canada?
In the past i have always used FedEx, but this time i mistakenly entered "Least Expensive" so it ended up going out USPS. This may end-up delaying me getting back into the air :(

I use it occasionally when the vendor doesn't offer FedEX or for low value purchases. My experience is maybe a day or two slower than the couriers. Occasionally the tracking information vanishes as the package comes across the border. Basically good experiences but don't use it near xmas! I had a package in purgatory (MIA USPS intn'l sort centre) for almost 2 months.

Jim

I prefer USPS

In my experience, USPS is no slower than the other shippers. Also, most often USPS passes more quickly through the border, as those that add on a collection of taxes, brokerage fees and other interesting fees, are more interested in UPS, Fedex and the other big shippers.
I prefer USPS and Canada Post for my deliveries. It costs less and arrives with tracking information provided. USPS has been my go to shipper after some shocking bills sent my way, in particular UPS.

I just waited 30 days for a package USPS.. only half of it showed up. This is after it was damaged on the first attempt. Note this was an elevator spar, so oversized package, handled differently than boxes.

I will pay extra for FedEx next time.

If I order from Vans on Wednesday or Thursday an use USPS I can figure that it will be here the following Thursday. No brokerage charges.

I have bad experience with USPS to Canada. It went fast until it reached border (2-3 days) and then CanadaPost took over it. After that it was 2 weeks…… in transit .. Aurora,OR to Vancouver,BC…
After that I opened my border mail account in US. No more Canada Post delays, I pickup my package and self clear it at the border. Pay tax to agent and on my way ;)
Yes I know, it is good to live close to border. Otherwise I would use courier service such as FedEx or UPS but be ready for brokerage fees which sometimes are too high in my opinion.

Last edited:
Hit and miss

I use USPS/Canada Post most of the time because I'm cheap. Delivery times have been between 5 and 15 days with no apparent reason. Tracking information stops at the border.

Cheers, Sean

I use USPS/Canada Post most of the time because I'm cheap. Delivery times have been between 5 and 15 days with no apparent reason. Tracking information stops at the border.

Cheers, Sean

Same here. I try to USPS if at all possible. I have experienced UPS charging outrageous brokerage fees ( as high as $100.) Taxes on top of this.
Most of the time Canada Post will not collect taxes if it is a low value item.

Same here. I try to USPS if at all possible. I have experienced UPS charging outrageous brokerage fees ( as high as $100.) Taxes on top of this.
Most of the time Canada Post will not collect taxes if it is a low value item.

I use USPS whenever possible. You can use the US tracking number in the Canada Post tracking field to track once it gets across the border. No charges if the value around $100 or less. Takes a little longer once it gets to the border. Fedex is more expensive and used to be quicker from the US until lately. I just received an Andair valve from the UK via Fedex. Only took 3 days to get here but then was double charged for the $52 tax/brokerage fee. Took a week to get it sorted out. The driver didn't get the online payment info for some reason so charged again at the door and I wasn't home. Bit of a PIA.

I've had the range of 5 to 21 days, the worst being from California. The BIG advantage to USPS is the brokerage fees coming through to Canada Post are almost non existent. $7 + GST on the purchase, but only if it's worth more than $100. Compare that to UPS/FedEx that is 6-8x more.

Thanks guys. It's an oil cooler that I am waiting for. It has been spinning around Los Angeles for 2 days now. In and out of various distribution and processing centers. I'm wondering if aircraft spruce Canada has the same type of oil cooler? Does anybody know? If so, maybeI could get one from ACS and then see if Vans will take back the one they shipped me.

Thanks guys. It's an oil cooler that I am waiting for. It has been spinning around Los Angeles for 2 days now. In and out of various distribution and processing centers. I'm wondering if aircraft spruce Canada has the same type of oil cooler? Does anybody know? If so, maybeI could get one from ACS and then see if Vans will take back the one they shipped me.

From Van's:

"Returns

A 10% restocking fee will apply to any returned item. Any item returned must be in “AS NEW ” sellable condition, and must be a product that we currently sell. It should also be in its original packaging. No opened software may be returned. Custom-manufactured components and parts cannot be returned. Returns on avionics, batteries, electronics, lighting components, and instrumentation (gauges) will be accepted within sixty (60) days of purchase. All other items may be returned within two (2) years from the date of purchase. Documents, books, and DVDs may not be returned. Only the original purchaser may return items."

Does anybody know if ACS sells the same type of oil cooler that Vans sells for the 9A?

Last edited:
Question for Canadians - do any of you have experience with orders from Vans that ship by USPS Priority Mail International Parcels? What has your experience been like in tersm of delivery time to you after it was shipped from Vans? Are you able to track the package after it enters Canada?
I've used USPS from Van's before, and use USPS whenever possible when shipping to Canada. Canada Post frequently has the tracking info up before it gets to the border, and tracks it in Canada as well. If your USPS shipment has tracking, Canada Post will show it (eventually).

Never had an issue with USPS. Many issues with UPS, FedEx, etc. over the years.

After circling around in LA since Wed, it now says it's departed again, so hopefully it will show up next week.
Thanks again!

Thanks for all the pireps on USPS. The package from Vans arrived a couple of days ago, safe and sound. Was about 10 days, so not too bad.
Now I'm impatiently waiting for Day & Ross to deliver my engine! It left Aero Sport in BC a week and a half ago and was supposed to arrive last Tues. But the truck took it to the montreal depot instead of the kingston depot, and it's been sitting there in Montreal for days! Apparently there was an issue at the depot, and I still haven't been able to get a straight answer on where or when it will arrive! So much for getting it installed this weekend. :(
Day & Ross seem to be a sort of decentralized freight operation, and the "customer service" agents don't seem to have much visibility beyond the basic tracking infromation - which has only updated once in hte last week. And it seems like the whole operation shuts down on weekends. Do any of you have experience with Day & Ross or tips on how i can get them to get this moving?

Back