What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust crack

Navy76

Yesterday, after a routine oil change in my RV-14A, I performed a visual inspection of the firewall forward area. I noticed a light colored powder near the exhaust flange of the #1 cylinder. Upon closer inspection, I found what appeared to be a crack in the weld between the flange and the exhaust pipe. I used a vacuum cleaner to pressurize the exhaust and squirted some soapy water on the area. Sure enough, it leaked.

I removed the exhaust pipe on the #1 cylinder and took it to my mechanic. He thinks he can re-weld the crack which appears to be about 2/3 of the circumference of the pipe.

I’m mainly writing to raise awareness of this issue in case anyone else has a similar yet undiscovered problem. If it wasn’t for the powder around the leak I don’t think I would have noticed it. I’m very thankful I found it before the flange became completely disconnected. This also proves the importance of thorough visual inspection whenever the cowl is removed.

BTW, this header is only about 2 feet long and terminates in a slip joint. It was a tight fit getting the header off of the studs but I hit the slip joint with some mouse milk and I freed right up. I always apply mouse milk to the slip and ball joints whenever I have the cowl off and was pleased to see that it appears to be working well with 190 hours on the engine.

Attachments

• IMG_1457.jpg
    IMG_1457.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_1459.jpg
    IMG_1459.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 322
Not saying this is the case however I’m surprised the number of times I find the bolts, where 2 pipes are at a slip joint, are done up tight. They are supposed to be very loose to allow thermal expansion & just keep the pipes together.
First time I saw this was on an Rv7 with only 70 hrs - the pipe was cracked & only had 3/4” to go before it came apart at #1 cyl. The crack was very hard to see initially.
Please check those bolts.

Vetterman exhaust repair

FYI, Vetterman cross over exhaust on parallel valve 360, RV-7A. Similar, not exactly the same.
The first time my exhaust header failed I had it rewelded and I thought it looked great. Hundreds of hours later I found it cracked again and sent it to Craig at Vetterman’s for repair. It was quickly returned with reinforcing patches added as part of the repair.

Regards,

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 126
Update…

Just a quick follow up… I got the riser back from my mechanic in three days and reinstalled it without issue. The re-weld looks great. Time will tell if it holds up. I’ve flown about six hours since the repair… so far so good.

FYI, Vetterman cross over exhaust on parallel valve 360, RV-7A. Similar, not exactly the same.
The first time my exhaust header failed I had it rewelded and I thought it looked great. Hundreds of hours later I found it cracked again and sent it to Craig at Vetterman’s for repair. It was quickly returned with reinforcing patches added as part of the repair.

Regards,

Thanks, Roy! I’ll keep an eye on my repair and send it to Craig if the problem reoccurs.

Found a crack just below the flange-to-tube weld on #3 about 11 years ago and so far, knock on wood, it's holding up fine.

DSCN1792.jpg

Back