What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gro Pro Mount

Sully73

I would like to mount my GoPro 360 on my wingtip (RV-4) but 1-2 feet in front of the leading edge. Does anyone offer a mount that does that? Or photos of something that works.
Thanks in Advance

Insta 360 camera mount

Here is what I am using on my RV8

https://flightflix.net/product/maui-flight-surface-pole-mount/

Satisfied with the product, BUT:

Quite pricey for what you get. I chose the shorter pole, and still reduced the length extending beyond the mount to help reduce vibration.

I suspect anyone handy with metal working could fabricate something very similar at a fraction of the cost.

The pole sticking out beyond the wing is just waiting for someone to walk into it. I use a 3/4" pitot tube cover and flag to warn, and still put a chair in front of it to prevent accidents.

360 cameras produce some spectacular video(after editing), especially in formation flying.

I made my own mount from some material I had laying around and it essentially cost nothing but a bit of time and some argon. The fixed provisions - the items that attach to the wingtip - are two pieces of 1/8 inch angle I had left over from the build, cut and painted then screwed onto the wing using the wingtip attachment screws. If your wingtips are riveted on you might need to work out a slightly different method.

The pole is a piece of 3/8" steel rod with three fins welded to the rod, each 120 degrees apart, to strengthen and dampen the rod. Essentially it looks a bit like an arrow and it protrudes forward of the wing by about 18 inches. Photos show wing with and without the pole.

The mount works well at all speeds but can get a bit of a vibration at around 80 - 90 knots. I suspect its a combination of RPM and speed that sets up the oscillation as its not always present at that speed. Its rock steady at all other speeds. While its not perfect and I would make some minor changes if I manufactured another one, its perfect for the price I paid for it.

If you were a fibreglass guru you could make this in carbon fibre and have it weigh nothing... but I'm not so mine is made from steel and its a little heavier than I would like but works well. I did think about buying a cheap fishing rod blank but they are a bit flexible, although I'm sure there is a way to rectify this. My impatience and need for instant gratification meant that I could achieve the desired goal of knocking something up in the morning and go fly it in the afternoon. Job done.

Attachments

• GP MOUNT.jpg
    GP MOUNT.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 88
  • Fixed mount provisions.jpg
    Fixed mount provisions.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Here is what I am using on my RV8

https://flightflix.net/product/maui-flight-surface-pole-mount/

Satisfied with the product, BUT:

Quite pricey for what you get. I chose the shorter pole, and still reduced the length extending beyond the mount to help reduce vibration.

I suspect anyone handy with metal working could fabricate something very similar at a fraction of the cost.

The pole sticking out beyond the wing is just waiting for someone to walk into it. I use a 3/4" pitot tube cover and flag to warn, and still put a chair in front of it to prevent accidents.

360 cameras produce some spectacular video(after editing), especially in formation flying.

Thanks Jim!

I made my own mount from some material I had laying around and it essentially cost nothing but a bit of time and some argon. The fixed provisions - the items that attach to the wingtip - are two pieces of 1/8 inch angle I had left over from the build, cut and painted then screwed onto the wing using the wingtip attachment screws. If your wingtips are riveted on you might need to work out a slightly different method.

The pole is a piece of 3/8" steel rod with three fins welded to the rod, each 120 degrees apart, to strengthen and dampen the rod. Essentially it looks a bit like an arrow and it protrudes forward of the wing by about 18 inches. Photos show wing with and without the pole.

The mount works well at all speeds but can get a bit of a vibration at around 80 - 90 knots. I suspect its a combination of RPM and speed that sets up the oscillation as its not always present at that speed. Its rock steady at all other speeds. While its not perfect and I would make some minor changes if I manufactured another one, its perfect for the price I paid for it.

If you were a fibreglass guru you could make this in carbon fibre and have it weigh nothing... but I'm not so mine is made from steel and its a little heavier than I would like but works well. I did think about buying a cheap fishing rod blank but they are a bit flexible, although I'm sure there is a way to rectify this. My impatience and need for instant gratification meant that I could achieve the desired goal of knocking something up in the morning and go fly it in the afternoon. Job done.
I like how you think and I do have argon!

Back