What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Logging Dynon D-180 EMS data via usb?

prkaye

Well Known Member
The user manual for the Dynon D-180 says that it continuiously outputs EMS data on the serial port. Is there a way to capture this data on a laptop through a USB port? Special adapter needed? What software running on the laptop to capture the data?

This an old post but yes, the the Dynon D-180 does output a continuous stream of data. I use a Insignia™ - 1.3' USB-to-RS-232 (DB9) PDA/Serial Adapter Cable, with Prolific Chipset - Black to connect the EMS DB-9 connector. I use a Raspberry pi with a USB port to capture the data. The Raspberry pi is also my ADSB in and is running the Stratux software. The Stratux software runs on Linux. Here are the sample commands that I use to capture the output stream:
sudo mkdir /mnt/data
sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p3 /mnt/data
cd /mnt/data
sudo chmod 0777 /mnt/data
stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 115200
cat /dev/ttyUSB0 > EDM5.csv

This is very interesting to me too. I have a D180, though I have been putting off lugging my laptop into my plane while flying. Are you really running datalogging and ADSB-in simultaneously?

Something like this could probably be wired up to the Dynon's +5Vdc and RS232 TX serial output, and continuously record onto a 32GB microSD card. Haven't done it myself, but I'm sure it's possible.

Back