What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 vs RV6/7 for Insurance required Dual?

clemtph

RV4/8 Transition Training

Just got RV4. RV4/8 approved for Insurance required Dual. Any thoughts on who/where to get this Dual. Thanks

Just bought RV4 and Insurance has approved RV4/8 for Dual. Having a time finding 4/8 for the Dual that fits my schedule. I'm working with Insurance Broker/Underwriter to pitch for RV6/7 to be allowed for required Dual. If feedback could be provided RE: takeoff/landing characteristics of 6/7 vs 4 other than the throttle in the left hand. I could get dual in right seat of 6/7 as long as the sight picture and takeoff/landing characteristics are relatively similar to 4? of course I'd rather get 4/8 Dual but.. I can't afford to wait months while plane sits hundreds of miles away while I try to figure out/schedule 4/8 Dual? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

It's tough to find tandem transition trainers so insurance generally will allow side by side. Mine did at least (so long as they are tailwheel)

What you’re describing (RV8) is probably best handled by Bruce Bohannon, just outside of Houston. His cell is (TWO 8 ONE) 889-80 SEVENTY EIGHT

I don’t think he’s booked ridiculously far out like many are.

Last edited:
Tom,
Blue Sky Aero (Illinois) does tailwheel training in an RV8. They used to have an RV4 with dual controls also, so you might ask them about that.

https://www.blueskyaero.com/

You could also ask Ken Reider here at HAO if he could help you out with his RV8. If you need a tailwheel endorsement, you can get that at Hogan Flying Service at HAO in a J3 or PA 11. Where are you going to keep your RV4?

PM me if you need phone numbers.

I did my transition to -4 flying right seat in a tailwheel -6. I thout it was very effective and I felt well prepared for the first flight in my -4. My insurance did allow it after a little cajoling.

I simply flew 10 hours solo, so then I on my application I could say I had 10 hours in an RV4, and there was no further discussion.

Right before flying it for the first time I did landings in 3 very different tail draggers (decathlon, J3 cub, great lakes biplane), with an instructor because that was the only way to rent those planes, but instructors are good. I figured if I could land those three just fine then I could land the -4 just fine also.

I did something similar with a x-country, St. Louis to SLC, flight home counting as the solo hours required for coverage, although I had extensive TW time prior to the purchase so that helped.

Fortunately a rather unpleasant canopy departure incident didn't take place until a later flight after insurance coverage was in place. Flying uninsured is not for the faint of heart or risk averse.

I have been approved for 6/7 for 4 so.. any 6/7 transition training assets available within reasonable drive from New York City area?... thanks..

Back