What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flyleds Tail Dragger Max landing light

Paul from Flyleds

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Introducing our newest all-in-one Landing and Taxi light, the Flyleds Tail Dragger Max.

TDMax4 800.jpg

Typically tail dragger aircraft align one light straight ahead for landing and the other light downwards for taxiing. Given how poor to average those lights usually are, and only having one light useful to you in each phase of landing, it's no wonder that night landings are not the most pleasant experience for many.

The Flyleds Combo light was introduced in 2018 and it completely changed that experience for hundreds of our customers. Now, based on our highly regarded Seven Stars light, the Tail Dragger Max has the top two light modules aimed 20° downwards (fixed). You get 6500 lumens of clear white light aimed straight ahead in a tight beam for landing, plus another 2500 lumens of light aimed lower, closer and wider, so that you can still see where you're going when the tail is on the ground.

In comparison your average 50 watt halogen headlight fitted to so many RV's is a poorly formed beam of yellow light around 500-700 lumens.
Just the landing light section alone of the Tail Dragger Max light is 8-10 times, or double, then double, then double again (plus a bit more!), the amount of light.
Stop and think about that for a second!

The Tail Dragger Max has two power inputs. The Main input lights up all seven light modules for 7-8 amps draw, while the second (optional) Taxi input turns on just the top two lights at ~2 amps draw. High beams/low beams if you like!

Designed to fit a PAR36 mounting hole in your leading edges. It will drop right into your RV-14 light bay onto the W-00017 bracket supplied as part of the wing kit. It will fit into the various Van's and Duckworks light bays found on other RVs as well, not to mention your Cub etc... If you have rectangular halogens in your leading edges now it's usually just four screws to remove the bracket from your wings and you can enlarge the hole out on the bench in minutes.

TDMax JH 800.jpg

The best landing light available that is specifically designed for your tail dragger aircraft. There's nothing else on the market like it!

retrofit 7-star?

Paul- Any way an existing 7-star can be retrofitted with the angled upper lenses?

Paul- Any way an existing 7-star can be retrofitted with the angled upper lenses?

Hi Greg. Technically yes but practically no... you'd be changing the fillings in your sandwich, so to speak! The heatsink and the lenses are the same but the circuit board(s) and mounting arrangements are different. You'd end up with two expensive and perfectly good but unusable circuit boards sitting on the shelf.

I'm sure you could sell your Seven Stars in the VAF classifieds at a small discount and replace them with the Tail Dragger Maxes.

TDMax exploded 2.JPG

A Dynamic Duo...

RV-8 Lighting Retrofit:

(1) W-715 "Bat wing" tips with Aeroflash pos/strobe to FlyLEDs Original
Outstanding kit; quality parts, detailed instructions, perfect fit, and WOW... what a difference!!!

(2) Dual landing lights from rectangular halogen (worthless orange spots on the hangar door) to FlyLEDs Tal Dragger Max. Oh My!! I thought the headlights on my new Tahoe were extreme... these babies give new meaning to extreme and the new design (top two lights pointing down) works perfectly without need to enlarge the original Duckwork lens opening. I'm a VERY HAPPY camper.

I've only seen one aircraft with brighter lights than my -8; my neighbor's RV-10 with Combo lights in the tips and 2-Seven Star landing lights.

Those of you who've done business with Paul know that the only thing better than FlyLEDs lighting systems is his customer service. Combine that high level of customer service with his US partner, Blake at Flyboy Accessories, and you have a Dynamic Duo!

Last edited:
Will these wig wag no problem with your control board or the GAD 27?
Hi Ed

No problems at all. All of our lights just need 12 volts and there will be (a whole lotta!) light.
They can be run from our The Works controller board in addition to The Works lights, our Wigwag Module or the Wigwag Switch, a Garmin GAD27, a VP-X, or an Advanced/Dynon ACM.

Use a separate switch and run 18 or 20AWG wires for the Taxi power inputs. The tilted taxi lights take power from either input via two diodes, so there is no adverse interaction between the two power inputs.

RV-8 Lighting Retrofit:
Those of you who've done business with Paul know that the only thing better than FlyLEDs lighting systems is his customer service. Combine that high level of customer service with his US partner, Blake at Flyboy Accessories, and you have a Dynamic Duo!

Thank you for the kind words Ernie! We both aim to keep our customers smiling.

Back