What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unreadable circuit breakers

Chewbert

I'm New Here
Dear all, first of all I would like to introduce myself. I am from Milano area, Italy.
I have been a member of the Forum for a few months but until today I just hoarding with information and suggestions without which I would often have stuck in the construction progress of my RV7.
I owned an RV7 that after only 3 weeks I bought, it was destroyed due to a whirlwind on sept 19 2021, that completely destroyed it.
After the insurance compensated me, I order a new kit (75137) that I start building in September 2022.
A few days ago I ordered circuit breakers and when I was installing them, I realized that they were unreadable. (As you can see from attached pics). I wrote to the supplier (Aircraft Spruce) and quickly, showing an effective customer care service, replied to me saying that:

“Apparently, this is not a defect,it is the way the circuit breakers

Are being manufactured now.

THERE IS ACTUALLY NOTHING WRONG WITH THESE UNITS AND THE REST OF OUR STOCK THE SAME. THIS IS ALSO NOT LIMITED TO THESE CIRCUIT BREAKERS FROM THIS VENDOR. I SPOKE TO CEO OF ELECTRIC SWITCHES ABOUT THIS A FEW WEEKS AGO This is not limited to TE. All Circuit Breaker manufactures are switching Over or have already switched from Ink Markings to Laser markings. This is Due to supply chain issues as well as Environmental issues with the ink.

THIS IS NOT A QUALITY ISSUE AND THERE IS NOTHING THAT CAN OR WILL BE CHANGED. “

I wish to know if it happened to you as well and if you have a suggestion, without having to throw away these circuit breakers.
I am thinking of having strong adhesives made to be applied in order to make the value visible.

Thank you for the suggestions you would like to give me...and thank you for sharing your valuable experience!

Attachments

• C.B.1.jpg
    C.B.1.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 254
  • C.B.2.jpg
    C.B.2.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 175
  • C.B.3.jpg
    C.B.3.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 137
I would not like this either, but once installed, it’s not the valve of the breaker amperage that one needs to know, it’s to what the breaker is protecting which we need to label anyway. Other than in assisting during servicing they could be blank for all that matters. I guess it’s what ( having the amperage valve) we have become accustomed to, but not necessary.

Blank

I personally prefer them blank. I think it looks better. And like was previously said, no need to know the amperage in flight, just what they protect.

well, one idea is to first label them with some tape or white marker on the back side, so as to remember which is which ;)
Then clean all trace of the original markings, and use rub-on labelling, also called dry transfer, to apply the new text. Clear coat to give a durable finish once done.

I did the lettering on my panel this way, and the process has been very easy and satisfying.

switched from Ink Markings to Laser markings. This is Due to supply chain issues as well as Environmental issues with the ink.

THis is nice, lets first blame it on supply chain issues. Boy that is starting to get old now. I find it difficult to believe that the environmentalists have enough power to get govt to outlaw ink or paint. I know their power is growing, but probably 75% of all products sold have some type of paint or ink label on them. This sounds like simple cost cutting with excuse of the day to justify it.

Should be able to find or make some stick on labels. I would also argue that there is no value in having the pilot see the Amp rating in flight, as long as the panel has labels identifying the CB' circuit. There is no operational diagnostic value in knowing the rating of the CB. That only applies to on ground troubleshooting or replacement and in these cases, the amp rating can clearly be read.

Last edited:
Contact Tyco Electronics for new parts.

Dear all, first of all I would like to introduce myself. I am from Milano area, Italy.

Greetings - Welcome to VAF !!!

If a label is not readable then it is defective. PERIOD.

I had the insert labels of my CB's fall out - - I contacted the manufacturer and they accepted responsibility. They gave me some internal phone numbers/email to call/write and I was provided with a supply of the label dots from the factory (Mexico) no charge.

Contact Tyco Electronics or reject them, send back to Spruce and purchase another brand (Kilxon from SteinAir).

Last edited:
THis is nice, lets first blame it on supply chain issues. Boy that is starting to get old now. I find it difficult to believe that the environmentalists have enough power to get govt to outlaw ink or paint. I know their power is growing, but probably 75% of all products sold have some type of paint or ink label on them. This sounds like simple cost cutting with excuse of the day to justify it.

I guess you missed the made in China markings?

I would say switch over to Klixons. But just today I had a revelation. I ordered 5 Klixon 2TC2 breakers from ACS and when they arrived two of them were not Klixon but rather a French brand called Crouzet with their own different part number. So I have 3 Klixon made in North America and and 2 Crouzets made in France. The body of the Klixons are green and the Crouzets are black. IF that was the only difference there would be no problem since the bodies of the breakers are hidden behind the panel. However, the geometry is also not the same between the two makes. The Crouzets are a bit taller and the contact terminal angle is slightly different. So when the Crouzets and Klixons share the same bus bar they do not line up as expected due to the geometrical differences. The height difference has the Crouzet pushing up on the panel while the Klixons are not fully seated yet. Also, the angle difference on the terminals attached rigidly to a bus bar means the breaker bar assembly cannot insert properly into perfectly aligned and drilled mounting holes in the instrument panel. My ACS invoice says I ordered Klixons but I guess some Spruce buyer got sold a bill of goods by Crouzet claiming they are exactly the same. Nay nay. Now I have to talk to some aircraft part ignorant customer service agent Monday at the big Spruce. Remember back when we could call a nice informed customer service representative and order an part number and get what we actually ordered?

If they are not important then why have the spare parts criminals been producing them labeled since Noah stepped off his boat?
I like to know the rating as cause if I topped inflight a couple of amps wouldn’t concern me much but 20A would!

Will agree with the previous about what a popped breaker is telling you. I fly with fuses and have no intention of ever resetting any that are blown while in flight.

The numbers look great on the caps, but that's about it. Your flight manual should identify the values.

Keeping them all the same height is something that's important for easy tactile and visual checks, so do whatever it takes to accomplish that end.

Just another opinion ...

... and as an amusing anecdote, one of my BN's would launch with both hands on the CB panels just aft of his seat on every night cat shot, so he could jam any ones that popped back in ASAP! Young and dumb as they say! :eek:

Fly well

Rub on supplier

well, one idea is to first label them with some tape or white marker on the back side, so as to remember which is which ;)
Then clean all trace of the original markings, and use rub-on labelling, also called dry transfer, to apply the new text. Clear coat to give a durable finish once done.

I did the lettering on my panel this way, and the process has been very easy and satisfying.

Dan, where did you get your rub ons? The 2 suppliers I found both are not answering their phones or e-mails.

Thanks !!

Dwight, as u know I’m on the other side of the pond ;)
The company’s called Approved Transfers, and located in good ol’UK https://www.approved.co.uk

Been very happy with their product and service. The transfers themselves still hold good, despite no clear coat used.

It looks as if the circuit breakers have numbers indented into the stub. You might be able to paint the top in white and while it's still wet, rub off the paint from the flat part leaving a legible depressed number.

Dave

See my post above. When you order the green Klixons from ACS they have been substituting the black breakers from France for certain amp values. So you might well get a mix of each and they don't line up on the bus bar due to differences in manufacturing.

It is dumbfounding to me that ACS would not provide/substitute for the article you bought. Who deemed it as identical or even acceptable? Would they deem some cheap Chinese knockoff as a substitute? I hope you'll share their rationale for this.

As a reminder, the issue applies to the 2TC2 green Klixon breaker series with outward pointing terminals. Not the more standard 7274 light gray colored series with inward pointing terminals.

From ACS customer service (Rick):

Our vendor has supplied us with the Crouzet breakers as Klixon (green) substitutes, they cannot source Klixon right now. We have just discovered the bus bar issue as well and there should be notes on the website and we are trying to find a source for the Klixon breakers. But we dont have a source at this time. I can set up a return for the items if you would like.

Last edited:
As a reminder, the issue applies to the 2TC2 green Klixon breaker series with outward pointing terminals. Not the more standard 7274 light gray colored series with inward pointing terminals.

From ACS customer service (Rick):

Our vendor has supplied us with the Crouzet breakers as Klixon (green) substitutes, they cannot source Klixon right now. We have just discovered the bus bar issue as well and there should be notes on the website and we are trying to find a source for the Klixon breakers. But we dont have a source at this time. I can set up a return for the items if you would like.

They had no right and as a calculated risk, picked-up a lot of liability. What if that manufacturer had issued an AD, recall, whatever? How would the end user be informed? That's just one easy example. Completely unethical and possible illegal. They did not provide what was bought.

I would return them and go with the klixon breakers. Here is a pick of mine.

Attachments

• GDU450_mounted.jpg
    GDU450_mounted.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 52
Back