What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks lampless round kit

mbuto

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade the leading edge landing lights on my -9A and I'm having difficulty getting info on this product from DW. Can anyone message me for further assistance?

Thanks,

Mike

It's possible to make your own mount quite easily, that's what I did for some Flyled spot lights. Just make the hole whatever size you need for the lamps.

Attachments

• 20230203_174314.jpg
    20230203_174314.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 39
Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade the leading edge landing lights on my -9A and I'm having difficulty getting info on this product from DW. Can anyone message me for further assistance?

Thanks,

Mike

DW sells a lamp less leading edge installation kit for $80 (each). Or, you could just modify what you have now for a PAR 36 bulb. I did this on my used RV6 kit that I bought. The original LE light brackets were set up for a rectangular light. I cut the bracket to allow an opening large enough to accommodate the PAR 36 round light. I made a patch out of .032 that fits the PAR 36 bulb, and riveted it to the original wing bracket. Then I made a bracket clamp to hold it in place - just like the one that they sell. It was an afternoon of fabricating, and it worked out just fine.

IMG_0297.jpg

DW sells a lamp less leading edge installation kit for $80 (each). Or, you could just modify what you have now for a PAR 36 bulb. I did this on my used RV6 kit that I bought. The original LE light brackets were set up for a rectangular light. I cut the bracket to allow an opening large enough to accommodate the PAR 36 round light. I made a patch out of .032 that fits the PAR 36 bulb, and riveted it to the original wing bracket. Then I made a bracket clamp to hold it in place - just like the one that they sell. It was an afternoon of fabricating, and it worked out just fine.

View attachment 41963

Yes, and it's that kit that I need info on. From the DW picture I have no idea if it fits in my existing landing light cut out or how it is secured to the wing interior. I do not know if all 9A landing lights start at the same baseline. If I can see the plans/instructions then I can see if it works or need to go another route. I am not a builder so do not have ready access to tooling. Willing to learn of course, but I need a clear path first.

Based on what I've read on VAF, Duckworks is a small company and it can take a couple of weeks for them to respond.

Another way to get the info would be to post in the VAF RV-9 forum a "wanted documentation for Duckworks landing light cutout" , i.e. make your request more specific. And maybe also include a photo of your current lighting cutout.

Vans sell the Duckworks kit so tech support may also be able to assist.
https://store.vansaircraft.com/duckworks-landing-taxi-light-kit-for-rv-9-9a-ll-dw-02-rv-9-only.html

Back