What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bigbend Statepark

spatsch

Well Known Member
Made it to Bigbend Statepark today and staying in the bunkhouse. This would be a perfect place for a small RV fly in. Are there any?

Thx

Oliver
IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

State Park

How did you get from the runway to the bunkhouse?
Several years back a group of us went off roading in the park. We rented the Ranch House. It was awesome.
Runway was nice back then but there was no transportation. We trailered in our 4x4s.

Walked. It’s about a mile.

Oliver

How did you get from the runway to the bunkhouse?
Several years back a group of us went off roading in the park. We rented the Ranch House. It was awesome.
Runway was nice back then but there was no transportation. We trailered in our 4x4s.

Big Bend Ranch

We had a flyin there for 15 years in February. We had 40 airplanes, filled the bunk house and the main house, they cooked two meals a day for 25 bucks, the bunk house was $35.00 a night. The state parks ruined it. No food, no cancellations for weather, septic overflowed. We quit going 4 years ago. We are looking for a new place.

We had a flyin there for 15 years in February. We had 40 airplanes, filled the bunk house and the main house, they cooked two meals a day for 25 bucks, the bunk house was $35.00 a night. The state parks ruined it. No food, no cancellations for weather, septic overflowed. We quit going 4 years ago. We are looking for a new place.

That’s a pity. Bunk house is still 35$…. .

On another note does anybody know how rough the runway is at Terlingua Ranch. I don’t mind gravel within reason and there is a breakfast place. Considering getting breakfast there in the morning.

Oliver

State Parks

That's a shame. Glad we got to enjoy it.
I don't know the airports vwry well but I recommend Marthon. Spend a night in the historic Gage Motel. Expensive but a piece of history. Drive to Apline and enjoy the evening McDonald Observatory experience. Spend a night in Fort Davis State Park (if it's any good anymore). Drive to Balmorhea and dive in the lake.
I spent years motorcycling and camping all over Texas.
Other beautiful parks...
Leakey. Tube the Frio
Banderra. Tube the Medina and eat at OST
Drive the Hill Country during Bluebonnet season and river jump. Every creek is flowing. Stop, jump in, dry off on the ride.
Piney Woods. Beautiful
Coopers in Llano. Best BBQ Pork Chop in Texas. 2" thick.
Try the other hundred or so BBQ places all over Texas.

Terlingua

I haven’t landed at Terlingua Ranch in a few years. I landed there in the L-19 with 800 x 6 tires and it was barely acceptable. It isn’t gravel, it’s river rocks.

I haven’t landed at Terlingua Ranch in a few years. I landed there in the L-19 with 800 x 6 tires and it was barely acceptable. It isn’t gravel, it’s river rocks.

Thx! Will skip it then. Don’t feel like fixing an airplane today :)

Oliver

Back