What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-14 FWF plans

climberrn

Well Known Member
Planning a 390-EXP-119 upgrade on the -7. Trying to figure out how much stuff on the firewall needs to be moved. Flying 7A with Parallel valve, IO-360, Rod Bower Ram Air. Does the standard FWF 14 plans Vans sell have the FWF layout for the standard -390 and the EXP119?

How much stuff needs to be moved? If you follow the RV14 print, the answer will be "quite a bit"

The RV14 puts the oil cooler on the starboard side, with the battery up above it and the Master & Battery contactors on the port side.

Also I don't think the location of your existing firewall penetrations for the control cables will work out. They are called out in completely different locations for the 14.

I just went through this exercise putting a IO390-A3B6 on my new RV7 kit.

-Battery and contactors in the standard RV7 location.
-Oil cooler on the port firewall
-Throttle and mixture cables coming through the starboard side of the firewall recess
-prop cable coming through above the firewall recess.

This is just one of multiple ways you could do this, and I'm not even going to say it's the best way, but it works for me. I'm happy to discuss if you'd like to shoot me a text or email

In progress now

Planning a 390-EXP-119 upgrade on the -7. Trying to figure out how much stuff on the firewall needs to be moved. Flying 7A with Parallel valve, IO-360, Rod Bower Ram Air. Does the standard FWF 14 plans Vans sell have the FWF layout for the standard -390 and the EXP119?

I’ve just about done with fwf on a 7A with IO-390 exp , it’s possible obviously but for a first time builder like myself I would not recommend. I’ve also done the dual battery which added to the confusion . I’ll pm my contact info if you want to see what I’ve done .

Good luck

Back