What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why does everyone use wooden workbenches?

SwissVolts

Hello everyone,

I have seen the EAA 1000 and I like it, but it seems to me that a table with height-adjustable metal legs and wheels is much easier to build and practical! Why are they not used? Maybe I'm missing something...

The idea is 3 tables at the same height that can be combined with each other. The adjustable legs solve that and when necessary they can be adjusted to different heights.

Basically it is about buying the legs and screwing the boards... For more rigidity you can install a second board below that will serve as a shelf and you can also easily hang drawers.

What is your opinion ? Thanks !

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2023-04-23 172957.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2023-04-23 172957.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Captura de pantalla 2023-04-23 172841.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2023-04-23 172841.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Captura de pantalla 2023-04-23 173035.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2023-04-23 173035.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Captura de pantalla 2023-04-23 155105.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2023-04-23 155105.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 63
YMMV but my two EAA benches don’t move a millimeter when I rivet, hammer or dimple on them. Bolting a vise or adding a DRDT mount on the side was easy. An MDF top can be screwed to it. You name it, virtually indestructible.

Not me

Both my work benches were "freebies". The first is a "butchers block" table. Steel legs and lower shelf. Top is laminated 2X2 wood.

Rear of shop bench is 10' X 2' all steel. I welded adjustable feet onto it, so that I could make it perfectly level [control surface building] I put 2 layers of varnished 3/4" plywood on top. A layer of new remnant carpet [out of dumpster behind carpet shop] covers the plywood, when needed for de-burring/dimpling skins.

EAA benches

Because they are cheap and easy to build. I beefed mine up a little by using the same plywood for the bottom shelf. Glue and screws were used to assemble. They are rock solid. I enen had the fuse on top once to mate the wings.
That said, it's your shop. Bottom line. Do what makes you happy because you'll be in there a lot.

Having a thick wood top makes it very easy to drill into. There will be times you will lay a piece flat on your table, drill into it, then place Clecos through the hole into the wood so your piece doesn’t move.

Hello everyone,

I have seen the EAA 1000 and I like it, but it seems to me that a table with height-adjustable metal legs and wheels is much easier to build and practical! Why are they not used? Maybe I'm missing something...

The idea is 3 tables at the same height that can be combined with each other. The adjustable legs solve that and when necessary they can be adjusted to different heights.

Basically it is about buying the legs and screwing the boards... For more rigidity you can install a second board below that will serve as a shelf and you can also easily hang drawers.

Not everyone uses wooden workbenches! I built my original bench with a steel leg kit from Home Depot (similar to your pix) with a bottom shelf and 2 x 3/4" plywood top. When I went to build my tail feathers, I found it was too short. I also remember Vans advice to make sure your bench was FLAT and LEVEL. So I built a longer top addition using 4" aluminum channel with crossmembers bolted together with a 3/4" MDF top that I could drill into or thru and carefully leveled it. Worked wonderfully. Very heavy though, glad I don't have to move it around.

Perhaps I have not explained myself well, the board will be 40 or 50mm wood. I mean the wooden structure vs metal legs.

Although EAA1000 is easy to build, there is nothing faster than screwing 2 legs to a board :)
I still have a lot to do, I must save as much time as possible, otherwise the RV8 kit will arrive before I have the workshop ready!

I can also just install a vise, the DRDT2 or an MDF top, I don't see any difference and being able to adjust the height easily I see it as a great advantage.

It is clear that without wheels it will be more stable, but this applies equally to both types of workbenches. Maybe it's a good idea to keep a table without wheels and the other two mobiles...

Not everyone uses wooden workbenches! I built my original bench with a steel leg kit from Home Depot (similar to your pix) with a bottom shelf and 2 x 3/4" plywood top. When I went to build my tail feathers, I found it was too short. I also remember Vans advice to make sure your bench was FLAT and LEVEL. So I built a longer top addition using 4" aluminum channel with crossmembers bolted together with a 3/4" MDF top that I could drill into or thru and carefully leveled it. Worked wonderfully. Very heavy though, glad I don't have to move it around.

I am going to change the floor completely. I will remove all the old tiles and use self leveling cement to get a nice level floor. On the current floor, workbenches with wheels would not be feasible.
The MDF top is a nice idea that I think I'll use as well and it can be easily replaced when it's badly damaged.

Benches

Perhaps I have not explained myself well, the board will be 40 or 50mm wood. I mean the wooden structure vs metal legs.

Although EAA1000 is easy to build, there is nothing faster than screwing 2 legs to a board :)
I still have a lot to do, I must save as much time as possible, otherwise the RV8 kit will arrive before I have the workshop ready!

I can also just install a vise, the DRDT2 or an MDF top, I don't see any difference and being able to adjust the height easily I see it as a great advantage.

It is clear that without wheels it will be more stable, but this applies equally to both types of workbenches. Maybe it's a good idea to keep a table without wheels and the other two mobiles...

It's useful to have benches you can put side by side or end to end to change the surface size. As long as the surfaces match in height, materials don't matter.

A wood surface is handy for reasons mentioned. A clamping friendly surface is pretty important. I clamp stuff to the top all the time. Some builders cut the top so it has an over hang all the way around.

Mine don't have casters. Never needed them. They don't move that often and it's no problem to move them. A really heavy bench might need them. Retractable would be ideal.

Mine don't have casters. Never needed them. They don't move that often and it's no problem to move them. A really heavy bench might need them. Retractable would be ideal.

When I need to move mine, a furniture dolly tucked under each end works great.

Hi Salva

We used exactly what you posted top middle and left… the height adjustable steel legs… we had to install a cross-X for additional stability and actually never changed the height but the table was very good and stable…

Cheers
Fabian

HB-YAF :) LSZF

The weight of the EAA table makes it more stable when I climb and stand on top of them when reaching for top shelves.

Hi Fabian
I think I'll buy the same ones too.

Thanks to wirejock I have searched for retractable wheels and I have found a pretty cool system! There are several videos on youtube and it seems to work fine. It can be installed on all workbenches but only 4 wheels need to be purchased as they are easily removed and attached as needed.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2023-04-23 220738.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2023-04-23 220738.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Captura de pantalla 2023-04-23 220832.jpg
    Captura de pantalla 2023-04-23 220832.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 64
I have multiple EAA tables. I also have a husky table whose height it adjustable via a crank. I received that table as a gift. When I saw them at Home Depot, I thought they were a gimmick but I've enjoyed being able to adjust the height so quickly.

at least around here, 2"x4"x8' lumber used to be less than $2 each and 3/4" Plywood $30/sheet, so you could build 2 of the EAA benches for less than the cost of one metal leg kit. EAB used to be all about doing things in the least costly manner. These days lumber is expensive, and engines cost more than a car, so the cost of a bench with steel is less significant.

Many reasons...
  • Cost, first and foremost. The ULine-style steel benches with butcher block tops that you have photos of cost anywhere from 2x to 5x an equivalent EAA1000 bench.
  • Because we're homebuilders, and like to build things rather than buy pre-
    made.
  • Because a nicely finished EAA1000 bench is a fine piece of workshop furniture.
  • Because you can easily clamp more than one together in a few configurations to make larger tables as needed.

That said, i'd love to have a set of ULine benches in my hangar. They're quite nice, very heavy and stable, and have some nice options to go with them (modular pegboards, work lighting, shelving, etc.). They're just SOOOOO expensive.

My main bench is 4'x10". 6 solid 2"x4" pointed legs, no wheels with a shelf under
for junk. I built it in 1991 and have yet had to replace the 3/4" plywood top.
I have had MDF/HDF bench tops before, (long time ago) and do not l like them as the MDF puckers up when you screw into it.. Plywood stays flatter.
Yes, it is full of holes, gouges, and assorted marks and damage.
The top overhangs the framework under by a good 2" for side clamping.
If one had a bad floor all you have to do it get some levelers and screw in/under the legs for finer adjustment. And use a spirit level to get it flat.
With the 2"x4" frame under I can drive nails for hanging stuff under lip of top. or mount just about anything. It is heavy enough it doesn't move.
I can move it with a hand truck if needed.
My luck varies Art

Another idea, for those lazy folks as myself, is to buy a couple of height adjustable trestles. The metallic ones support upwards of 200kg each, they are light in weight, durable, and cheap.
For the top, a plain wooden door makes a perfect surface, just be sure to get a straight thick one.

As for the rest of the cabinets etc, casters are the answer if working in confined quarters.

Attachments

• B944319B-4C64-44BD-8D7D-360D423C198A.jpeg
    B944319B-4C64-44BD-8D7D-360D423C198A.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 48
Many reasons...
  • Cost
  • Because we're homebuilders, and like to build things rather than buy pre-
    made.
    [*} Because a nicely finished EAA1000 bench is a fine piece of workshop furniture.

• Sorry but that doesn't pass the smell test. You don't build Vans aircraft out of 2x4s and ply. Did you build your house? How about your cabinets? I *think* the smart home builder uses his smart brain to build the things he's good at and sub-out the things it's cost effective to have other's do.

While I appreciate a nice wood work bench, If the cost is similar to buying metal, after I figure in the cost of my labor, It's hard to go buy lumber when I can get the instant gratification a pre-made bench gives. :rolleyes:

-Marc

It's hard to go buy lumber when I can get the instant gratification a pre-made bench gives. :rolleyes:

-Marc

And for the opposite point of view, I love my wood workbenches, I even splurged a bit on a couple of them and built the uprights from inexpensive cedar. Small thing, but when I'm stumped on a problem, or working on a project, or even just having a good day, the look/smell/feel of a wooden workbench is just part of the enjoyment of building, and a few extra dollars to help me enjoy my life is worth it.

Then there's the flexibility. Before attaching my engine I've mounted it onto the workbench and will wire it there, I was able to quickly drill a few holes in the wooden top and bolt it to the bench.

I'm not home that often because of work, so a comfortable, homey working environment is a contrast to the endless hotel rooms and industrial airplane cockpits I otherwise frequent,

Attachments

• engine jig.jpg
    engine jig.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Sorry but that doesn't pass the smell test. You don't build Vans aircraft out of 2x4s and ply. Did you build your house? How about your cabinets? ....-Marc

Well, I disagree. Before starting my RV-3B project (now on cowl and baffles) I built several workbenches, all my kitchen cabinets, and now for "instant" gratification, I bake sourdough bread and cookies. The techniques differ, the materials differ; the mindset is the same.

Dave

I understand the different points of view, but I identify with what Plummit exposed. The price is similar, especially if I have to add my working hours...

I will buy a 40mm oak top and height-adjustable metal legs. I think it will be the same or more robust and more versatile, since the overhang is much greater, I can hang drawers, or screw a vice, vary heights, etc. and all with an assembly in 10 minutes.

Even so, I will not get rid of working with wood! There are other things to do, like the supports for the wings or for the DRDT2 :)

Sorry but that doesn't pass the smell test. You don't build Vans aircraft out of 2x4s and ply. Did you build your house? How about your cabinets? I *think* the smart home builder uses his smart brain to build the things he's good at and sub-out the things it's cost effective to have other's do.

While I appreciate a nice wood work bench, If the cost is similar to buying metal, after I figure in the cost of my labor, It's hard to go buy lumber when I can get the instant gratification a pre-made bench gives. :rolleyes:

-Marc

Sex and building are a lot alike….and you don’t have to be good at either one to enjoy.

If you have woodworking skills, the bench you build will exceed anything you can buy.

A well built wooden bench has a certain degree of pride that far outweighs a premade bench.

Furniture

<snip>

If you have woodworking skills, the bench you build will exceed anything you can buy.

A well built wooden bench has a certain degree of pride that far outweighs a premade bench.

Exactly why I built most of the furniture in our house. The prices were too much for particle board. A few pieces we got cheap or free. I'm always looking for nice log furnishings. Aspen and Juniper. Far stronger than anything you can buy at Ikea. They always need repair or redesign, but that's easy.

New never ending debate

Never thought wood work benches would create a thread this long.

Your shop is part of the Experimental Aircraft process. You have the ability to build what you want and not what others did or prefer.

Unlike many, I grew up with a father that was 8 years old when the Great Depression hit.

Pop could fix or build darn near anything. His mentality came from growing up during those years. I spent time with him in the workshop and learned from him. If Mom wanted a particular piece of furniture, he made it and I got to help. They say the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. I find myself doing the same things he did. He built a Benson gyrocopter and I built an airplane. I had to make a copy of the diagrams for him. When he visited, we made the ailerons together.

The answer to the question of why wood for me is because I can and will get what I want at a price I like. Sometimes it’s faster to build than to shop/buy or wait for it to be shipped. Sometimes slower. And you can customize or modify at anytime.

My time is free to me but has value. I can work to earn the money to pay for a bench, or I can use my time to build it. Over the years, I’ve built 6 benches and each built to fit the space it lived in and for a specific use.

As a bonus, aircraft building skills fall over into woodworking skills. And vice versa.

I needed a chip collector on my planer which was used to built my bench. Scrap parts, way over built, and clecos hold it on until it is removed for storage.

I used the bottom of a hay rake table I was building as a temporary base for a bench for several months. Black walnut, mortise and tenon joints with wedges and saddle joints and not a single screw in it.

Attachments

• IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 80
…..I can get the instant gratification a pre-made bench gives
Been waiting for it. Same as the airplane. Coulda bought one instead of spending years building. But then u’d have the plane someone else designed and built. Not what U wanted.

Hello everyone,

Your picture on the top right looks like something that I could use. Do you know of a source?

If I had a metal table I’d probably put a wood or MDF top on it. I like the wood a lot and I can fasten things to it

Last edited:
Sex and building are a lot alike….and you don’t have to be good at either one to enjoy.

Well it depends - I guess if you are building "solo" the similarities exist, but thanks for the belly laugh! Funny, I never considered building a work bench as a masturbatory experience...;)

-Marc

Last edited:
Who would have ever thought you could have a wizzing contest over work benches.
Been laughing ever since I posted earlier.
Just get, buy, steal, borrow, or go on Craigslist/Marketplace and get it for free and work on the airplane.
I gotta go pop some more popcorn.
My luck varies. Art

Since I have nothing to do while waiting endlessly for my empennage kit to ship, building 2 of the EAA benches gave me something to do that was at least airplane related. and with only 2 more 2x4's, I used the leftover plywood to make a smaller, shorter bench for the DRDT-2 that is the right height to put between the two benches so the piece I'm dimpling can lay flat on the benches and be level with the dimple die.

I also put the retractable casters shown in an earlier post on all 3 so they are easy to move around, but rock solid while in use.

Now I just wait more.....

You will also want a good vice conveniently mounted to one corner. You can take it off when you want but on the opposite corner from the DRDT2 worked for me. I also made an MDF top to make the two benches one for most of the work. When I dimpled a big skin I’d pull the MDF off and get the drdt in the middle and the benches in an L or a 45 depending. I countersunk the MDF bolt holes.

An unloved wooden dining room table from the free section of Craigslist works just fine for some assembly tasks. Saw it square if you don't like the shape. Put different legs on it if you want it taller.

Door slabs on sawhorses work great and store easily when not needed.

My main bench is for work, not show. It started out as one of two for a MiniMax project. Fairly stout and has a handy full length shelf under it. I think the other one died as a garden potting bench. :( I drill into it all the time to cleco parts down, or just because. Mine is topped with ovrhanging MDF for a nice smooth surface and overhangs to clamp to. I throw a chunk of old-school cheap AstroTurf on the bench when working with skins to minimize scratches. Catches and buries the chips and such while letting the skins sit on the surface. Chips don't get stuck like in carpet. Just bummed that I can't get the blue color locally anymore!

Do whatever you want!

Attachments

• IMG_3398.jpg
    IMG_3398.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 72
If you can’t find astroturf the rubbery waffled shelf liner is cheap and works well too. Gotta vacuum it from time to time but effective.

A piece of glass, a little oil rubbed in and $8000 price tag in a nice furniture store.

Glass tops weren’t around 300 years ago. Just a solid top with floating breadboard ends.

Attachments

• IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 95
Wood is a great material to work on, cheap (was), solid, forgiving to materials you are working on...

Metal table is great for working on engines, props, brakes, anything wirh fluid.

Wooden workbench and tool boxes

I built a couple of EAA style benches many years ago, and recently built a couple of my own design.

When I started building the tail of the RV-10, I needed to get to both sides. Instead of pulling the benches away from the wall, I opted to add a couple of mobile tool boxes. Had the black craftsman and bought the 36" kobalt on sale at Lowe's.

Attachments

• IMG_20230505_151619.jpg
    IMG_20230505_151619.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20230505_221522.jpg
    IMG_20230505_221522.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20221231_163646.jpg
    IMG_20221231_163646.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 61
Back