What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Artex ELT Experiences

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
Does any one have any experience to share with the Artex ELT? The connections seem simpler. And fewer pieces and batteries compared to the Ack.

I removed an ACK due to countless false alarms including in flight inside the DC SFRA. That was enough for me to chuck that POS.

The Artex 345 had a drop in replacement as far as the tray and controller are concerned. It required new wiring (no phone cable) and new connector. The connector itself is a dsub, identical to the Garmin stuff. Easy to make the connections.

No false alarms since replacement either...

I have an Artex 345 ... it was an easy install, but I did learn a few things in the process:

1) If you want to feed it GPS data, it will accept two formats NMEA/4800 baud or Aviation protocol/9600 baud. Which is set by a bench technician; not user selectable. Mine came default in the Aviation protocol mode, but I needed NEMA to be compatible with my G3x panel. I had to have it switched after the fact. If you know you're protocol, you can likely have it set up for free if you order from an avionics shop (mine originally came from ACS)

2) The 406 MHz units are "smarter" and permits a thorough self test after install. I found that my original in-cabin by rear window install (like lots of RVs do) failed the self test, so I moved it external to the recommended location on the tailcone. Extra antenna outside, but it passes self test!

3) The batteries are expensive ($300) but are easy to replace in the hangar.

I have had Artex 345 in both of my RV14A and they worked flawlessly including the self test. The battery is good for 7 years I believe and easy to replace.

Bill I’m curious to see your external antenna install if you have a picture and what sort of doubler did you install with it? On the RV14 there is room for the ELT on the aft deck and I’m curious if you thought the Artex box would fit there on the 8.

Quality product from a reputable company.
Ack.... well.... momma said if you can't say....

I would only consider ACR/Artex or Orolia (Kannad) for my plane, as I have worked with the technical teams at both those companies and they know what they're doing.

The fact that Ack has an "X" in their radio frequency radiated susceptibility testing category on the environmental qualification form means they either didn't test it, or did and failed. And people wonder why they just randomly activate.

Last edited:
I have one- I also went through the issue of having it communicate data in the wrong format for the G3X. I discovered that in the states that's the default setting and you have to specify when you order it if you want the other one.

Fortunately, While it doesn't talk to the G3X, It does talk to the IFR navigators so it was just a pin change on the other end of the harness. If that hadn't worked, it would have been close to $200 to have it reprogrammed.

Bill I’m curious to see your external antenna install if you have a picture and what sort of doubler did you install with it? On the RV14 there is room for the ELT on the aft deck and I’m curious if you thought the Artex box would fit there on the 8.

This is what I did ... 3.5" x 3.5" doubler, 1" rivet spacing, 0.032 sheet I believe.

Not too familiar with the 8 or 14, so I don't know how well it might fit. I used the ELT mounting kit that sits between two J stringers right behind the baggage compartment back cover on the 7.

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 67
Fortunately, While it doesn't talk to the G3X, It does talk to the IFR navigators so it was just a pin change on the other end of the harness. If that hadn't worked, it would have been close to $200 to have it reprogrammed.

Pacific Coast Avionics did it for about $50 for me .. and earned a customer for life!

Does the GTN650 and GNX375 allow either option so it can match the ELT or is it better to get it with the 4800 baud NMEA so it’s good no matter what?

Does the GTN650 and GNX375 allow either option so it can match the ELT or is it better to get it with the 4800 baud NMEA so it’s good no matter what?

I went back and looked at my build log to refresh my memory.

The default programing for my Artex as ordered from Spruce was Aviation Protocol at 9600 baud rate. You can get it in NMEA protocol if you want, but it's an either/or situation and they are not changeable in the field. If you want to swap from one to the other, you have to send it back to a dealer to have it reprogrammed.

The Garmin GDU 460 PFD only outputs in NMEA. Therefore, if you are trying to send position data from the G3X PFD output to the ELT for the SAR-SAT function the ELT must be able to communicate in NMEA.

The GTN 650 will output either one, so if you're taking position data from it, theres no problem. You just tell it which format you want to send. Presumably the GNX375 would be the same, but I really don't know.

One other thing I forgot mention earlier. If you're going with the Vans elt mount that pop rivets to the tailcone J channels just aft of the baggage bulkhead, the predrilled nut plate locations in the Vans kit don't line up with the holes in the Artex mounting bracket. Not a big deal if you line it all up before installing anything, but I didn't discover this until after I had installed the vans kit and it was kind of a hassle.

Hope this helps.

Is there a way to test to make sure the ELT is receiving the GPS data and it is getting the correct format?

Is there a way to test to make sure the ELT is receiving the GPS data and it is getting the correct format?

Yes. when you hook it up there is a test feature that gives you a series of flashes and beeps. The chart in the manual tells you what the sequence means.

In addition to GPS stuff it will tell you when the battery has been in operation for more that 1 hour cumulative and needs to be replaced, and several other things.

Yes. when you hook it up there is a test feature that gives you a series of flashes and beeps. The chart in the manual tells you what the sequence means.

In addition to GPS stuff it will tell you when the battery has been in operation for more that 1 hour cumulative and needs to be replaced, and several other things.
Thanks, I knew that it would report errors such as antenna stuff but didn't know that it would also report GPS location faults. Mine has always reported no errors so that is a good thing.

GNX375

The GNX375 outputs GPS data in the correct format for ARTEX 345 ELT on ports 1 and 2. Ports 3, 4 & 5 do not support the needed format. Aviation 1 is the desired format in Garmin world.

GNX375 GPS to ELT

On the GNX375, there are only a few outputs configurable to the proper GPS format.
In laying out my Garmin suite schematic, I had to do some re-arranging of GPS outputs to get the correct format to the ELT. I needed to read the manual very carefully to get the right formats to the right equipment. But all is well.

It seems every box on the panel wanted GPS data in a different format.

JMHO

Artex 345 battery...

My 345's battery was due to be replaced later this year, so I did it now during the annual inspection.

The $300 battery's appearance and workmanship is very underwhelming.

Attachments

• artex battery 1.jpg
    artex battery 1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 71
  • artex battery 2.jpg
    artex battery 2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 65
I have one- I also went through the issue of having it communicate data in the wrong format for the G3X. I discovered that in the states that's the default setting and you have to specify when you order it if you want the other one.

ACR told me it would cost $175 or so to reprogram it to a different format but it actually isn’t true. I believe they assumed they would have to reprogram for a new tail number. ACR actually did mine for free. Also an avionics shop that has the programmer will do it for $100 or less.

Last edited:
Cells?

My 345's battery was due to be replaced later this year, so I did it now during the annual inspection.

The $300 battery's appearance and workmanship is very underwhelming.

It would sure be nice if one could just buy the cells and replace those.

Back