What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AeroSun VXi wing tip kit and AeroLED LN210 tail light tail light

bertschb

Well Known Member
Friend
I recently ordered the empennage kit for my RV-14A. I included the AeroLED LN210 tail strobe/position light in my order. I have since learned about the new AeroLED AeroSun VXi wing tip light kit from Vans. While researching that kit here on VAF (and later confirmed by Vans) I learned the tail position light isn't required if you get the new AeroSun VXi wing tip kit.

I don't plan on doing much night flying but it will happen. As a new builder, I want to build my first airplane correctly and not exclude anything I may need. But, if I can eliminate wires to the tail that aren't needed, that's a plus.

I'm thinking of getting the carbon fiber version of the VXi kit as I plan to place the magnetometer in the fuselage somewhere rather than the wing tips so the interference I've read about with the magnetometer and carbon fiber version of the VXi tips shouldn't be an issue.

Would you eliminate the tail light if you got the AeroSun VXi wing tip kit????

Maybe

I'm waiting to see the actual VXi units. I talked to Ryan at AeroLEDs and he said they are expecting a first production run of tips from Vans so they can start assembling production units soon.

I believe you will satisfy the regs related to the rear facing position light with the tips alone. Hoping to see them in person at OSH this year and make a decision on which way to go. If I do the tips, I'll probably eliminate the tail light also.

Some builders like the look of having 3 synchronized rear facing white lights. Removing the bump on the lower rudder fairing is probably as much if not more work than installing the light.

Removing the bump on the lower rudder fairing is probably as much if not more work than installing the light.

Thanks for pointing this out. Since I don't know how much work would be involved to remove the bump, I think I'll just keep the tail light.

Check out ZipTips first

Before making your decision on the tips, check out ZipTips by Aveoengineering. They are way cool with the upward flare. I am contemplating the same issue, whether to keep the tail light or not. But I think I will go with the ZipTip.

For what it’s worth,
Big advantage of the ziptips, they come pre assembled, including the lens, where vans requires assembly of lights and the lens. According to Aveo engineering, installation of the lens is a difficult procedure to insure they are water tight and glued in properly.

Also ziptips come in two shapes, with and without semi winglets.

I think there is minimal price difference between these and Vans. I ordered in December and received them in February.

Vans are in pre production and are still not available. The picture on the Vans store is an artist rendering.

I went ahead and ordered the AeroSun Vxi carbon fiber wing tip kit from Vans. I also ordered the leading edge wing skins without the landing light cutouts. All of it was backordered.

I'm not sure if the list below is correct but these are the parts I asked Vans to exclude from my wing kit as they won't be used with the Vxi wing tip kit:

(1) W-00001-L - Leading edge skin
(1) W-00001-R - Leading edge skin
(1) VA-193 - Lens, wingtip (this part gets cut in half for L and R)
(2) W00014 - Lens, landing light
(1) W-1015-L - Wing tip
(1) W-1015-R - Wing tip

I attended the Northwest Aviation Conference and Trade Show last month. Spoke with the AeroLED Rep about the upcoming Van’s wingtips. He had several photos of the wingtip with the integrated landing/taxi/position lights. He did have a demo setup with the actual lights that will be used in the wingtip set up. Very attractive and functional. I’m sold!

I’m a couple-hours drive from Van’s, so I returned the exact Wing Kit items as listed in Brian’s (bertschb) post. Picked up new outboard leading edge wing skins - without the landing light cutouts. Put a set of the upcoming wingtips with integrated exterior lights on backorder. It is MY understanding that these wingtips are still being finalized for production. Keep in mind that the RV-14 and RV-10 share the same wingtips, so there will probably be a lot of orders.

As far as the “bulge” on the sides of the bottom rudder fairing where the white position/nav light mounts: I’m going to surgically remove them and fair-in the area. Each wingtip trailing edge has a white position/nav light. These lights will be steady-state, and cycle to a momentary brighter setting, giving an aft-facing strobe effect. Satisfies the lighting reg requirements, and more than enough for me.

Different Direction 4 QB Wings

Hi,

I'm also looking at the AreoSun wing tips. I have QB wings. So far I feel I have three options: Put another set of lights in the existing cut-outs; Just put the plexiglass covers on and see what the paint shop can do; Build tight fitting aluminum plugs for the holes and see what the paint shop can do. I'll poll some paint shops soon. I'm not going to buy the leading edges without cut outs and drill out the beautiful existing rivets. Please offer thoughts.

So far I feel I have three options: Put another set of lights in the existing cut-outs; Just put the plexiglass covers on and see what the paint shop can do; Build tight fitting aluminum plugs for the holes and see what the paint shop can do. I'll poll some paint shops soon. I'm not going to buy the leading edges without cut outs and drill out the beautiful existing rivets. Please offer thoughts.

My thoughts: https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1127064&postcount=9

Keep in mind the latest, greatest thing isn't necessarily an improvement over the original design...

Last edited:
Keep in mind the latest, greatest thing isn't necessarily an improvement over Van's design...

I was under the impression that Van's designed and is in the process of manufacturing the new wing tips. AeroLED designed and manufactures the new lights (AeroSun VXi) that fit in the new Van's wing tips. Is this new product (tips and lights) designed and manufactured entirely by AeroLED????

I was under the impression that Van's designed and is in the process of manufacturing the new wing tips. AeroLED designed and manufactures the new lights (AeroSun VXi) that fit in the new Van's wing tips. Is this new product (tips and lights) designed and manufactured entirely by AeroLED????

Might be Van's design, I dunno. Edited my comment ;)

I went ahead and ordered the AeroSun Vxi carbon fiber wing tip kit from Vans. I also ordered the leading edge wing skins without the landing light cutouts……

I did the same as you. I actually have QB wings, so I’ll have to replace the factory leading edge wing skins with the new skins without the cutouts. I’m also going with the larger Sky Designs fuel tanks which require modifying the leading edge wing skin’s, so it’s going to be almost as easy to just replace the skins.

Regarding the taillight/strobe, even though the trailing edge of the wingtips have the lights incorporated in them, I’m still putting a taillight/strobe in the rudder. In my opinion, too much light still isn’t quite enough.

Back