What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire Size For The Stewart Warner Fuel Level Sender

cuzzroy

I used the Van's Aircraft standard Stewart Warner Thick Film Fuel Level Float Senders (Part # IE F-385B & C) in my fuel tanks.

Looking over the Installation Instructions, I cannot find what AWG wire size I need to use for these fuel sender units. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

not required but I would imagine it is recommended? Or is this a sales pitch from the company I am talking to trying to make some money

22 will be fine.

As Walt says, #22 is fine as there is very little current involved. For single runs of wire away from the panel however I consider #20 to be the smallest gauge I’m comfortable with using.

I suggest also running a ground wire to the sender base. You can run this the short way to a ring connector under a tank Z bracket bolt.

Carl

not required but I would imagine it is recommended? Or is this a sales pitch from the company I am talking to trying to make some money

Garmin tends to be VERY conservative and recommends shielded wire for just about everything. It is belt and suspenders. In my experience, this is completely unnecessary for a ressistive fuel sender wire. Neither of mine planes have it, nor do the 100's of millions of cars on the road. Can't speak to why it is being recommened and for the record, not trying to talk you out of it.

Last edited:
Back