What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrumentation wire routing, example = safe, “legal”?

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Amateur question, sorry.

The subject harnesses are premade so the lengths require some creativity. I don’t even want anyone questioning my decisions/workmanship.

Can/should a wiring harness be secured to a line? This one isn’t a soft 3003 sense line. It is the beefy oil return line. Tracing the subject line solves some issues. From a wear perspective, there’s no relative movement between the two. Either material will outlast me. The throttle position bundle will join up depending on what I hear here. Sorry for the novice question.

Thoughts or concerns? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_8565.jpg
    IMG_8565.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 205
Never be sorry for asking questions. Questions and doing a task are the best ways to learn a subject.

In the production world, wiring is never attached to a hydraulic, oil or fuel line. Clamps may hang off the same fastener, but never the line itself.

Last edited:
yeah, I'd rather have a adel clamp to a sump bolt rather than a zip tie. You could use one of those rectangular ones.

yeah, I'd rather have a adel clamp to a sump bolt rather than a zip tie. You could use one of those rectangular ones.

I assume you're talking about the zip ties holding the connector. There is a custom adapter behind it. ~1.25' wide U shaped bracket that catches both sides of the sump bolt behind it. "Cushioned" with silicon tape and the connection zip tied to it. Will lace it later. I don't like wires supporting anything except their own weight and the very short lead off of the throttle body made me get creative.

Thanks to all for the feed back. No doubt it would have been secure but as usual, there's no short cuts

While the scientist may disagree, telling us the harder material will wear into the softer material, a plastic zip tie WILL wear away metal that it is attached to and quite a bit faster than you would ever expect. I do use zip ties in that application some times, but ALWAYS wrap a strip of rubber or silicone to go between the metal tube and the zip tie. I always accepted these scientific tid bits, like this, as fact, until the first time I tore an engine apart and observer a groove worn into the cast iron crankshaft where it was spinning in contact with the stationary rubber oil seal. Wisdom tells me that we must be getting the simplified version, missing all of the unique exceptions.

Last edited:
While the scientist may disagree, telling us the harder material will wear into the softer material, a plastic zip tie WILL wear away metal that it is attached to and quite a bit faster than you would ever expect. .

The usual explanation is that a tiny bit of grit working its way under a zip tie is inevitable. It gets partially imbedded in the tip tie, and now you have a piece of sandpaper.

While the scientist may disagree, telling us the harder material will wear into the softer material, a plastic zip tie WILL wear away metal that it is attached to and quite a bit faster than you would ever expect. I do use zip ties in that application some times, but ALWAYS wrap a strip of rubber or silicone to go between the metal tube and the zip tie. I always accepted these scientific tid bits, like this, as fact, until the first time I tore an engine apart and observer a groove worn into the cast iron crankshaft where it was spinning in contact with the stationary rubber oil seal. Wisdom tells me that we must be getting the simplified version, missing all of the unique exceptions.

Everything will wear when there's friction. Like most things, it's relative; this time being between the hardness's of the two materials. Both wind and water can cut rock. The stuff that takes a long time to can be spectacular. Both a bit touristy but very accessible and worth a look.

The Royal gorge gets cut at an average rate of 1/10" per 20 years. Can't begin to remember the rate wind carves the formations at Red Rocks.

All that said, everything will be laced with lacing material when I can find it's forever places. Like Larry, I too use a cushion or wear material in most places; usually Silicon tape. All that said, our typical best defense is security to keep the relative motion down.

Attachments

• IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1737.jpg
    IMG_1737.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1736.jpg
    IMG_1736.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2023-05-30 143852.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-30 143852.png