What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (5/27-29/2023): Memorial Day Weekend)

I flew up to Corona and picked up some oil changing supplies for my annual condition inspection next month. Weather in SoCal has been gloomy, so I was glad to actually see some sunny skies. First time flying for several weeks as I finally finished up my Associates of Science degree in Aviation Maintenance and Technology, Airframe and Powerplant. Next up are the FAA writtens, oral and practical tests. I'll hopefully have the A&P license done before Airventure.

Flyover and missing man for an evening Memorial Day concert at the Braves spring training stadium.
Weather was perfect.
No photos from the ground yet, but did grab a group shot before we launched.
Lonn, Curtis, me, Paddy.

Attachments

• IMG_8566 (3).jpg
    IMG_8566 (3).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 184
Memorial Weekend flying

5 hours in the air, 3 flights for breakfast or lunch with different buddy’s this weekend. Got this shot from my insta360 video to a picture.

Attachments

• Snapshot_202305147_040500.jpg
    Snapshot_202305147_040500.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 133
Paint wing!

Prepped and painted right wing. Left wing, you’re next!

Installed FlyLED “Works” in painted wing tips.

Attachments

• IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 96
“Free” RV demo flight

Friend and fellow NASA retiree with Military Test Pilot background (rotary and fixed) got his first RV flight on Fri. (When you‘re retired the weekend starts on Friday, or maybe earlier). He hadn’t flown any GA in years but flew smoothly. I think he’s hooked!

Carl

Attachments

• E5614702-A18B-4F0A-A0E7-067C9CF6FE29.jpeg
    E5614702-A18B-4F0A-A0E7-067C9CF6FE29.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 117
Looked at ours longingly and wonder when we'll get it's heart back from Triad.

Attachments

• IMG_4838.jpg
    IMG_4838.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 130
Flew to the lake and had my 3rd alt failure in 10 years/600 hours, backup SD8 kept me going as designed. My second youngest (by 1 Minute) needed to break in her new hat, she’s rockin’ it!

Attachments

• F6AE9200-3526-4645-890D-42F455FC06C8.jpg
    F6AE9200-3526-4645-890D-42F455FC06C8.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 5B08053F-4258-4F3A-81C1-9F6BC1BA57E7.jpg
    5B08053F-4258-4F3A-81C1-9F6BC1BA57E7.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 107
  • F8033BCD-30CE-4842-BCEC-621287AD766C.jpg
    F8033BCD-30CE-4842-BCEC-621287AD766C.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 126
Go get the A&P!

Bruce: Good on you!

I'm a proud alumnus of the college, altho a different program. I'll get after my AMT/A&P when the plane's flying.
And we've travelled a bit.
And the upgrades are implemented...

I flew up to Corona and picked up some oil changing supplies for my annual condition inspection next month. Weather in SoCal has been gloomy, so I was glad to actually see some sunny skies. First time flying for several weeks as I finally finished up my Associates of Science degree in Aviation Maintenance and Technology, Airframe and Powerplant. Next up are the FAA writtens, oral and practical tests. I'll hopefully have the A&P license done before Airventure.

I was encouraged to share this here, so here ya go.

Most things in life, many dauntingly difficult and exciting in the beginning, become rote, routine, and the sheen comes off of them. For me, this hasn’t been the case with flying.

Perhaps it’s because my fascination with flight has been life long; the success of the pursuit of owning my own craft manifesting well after the AARP set their sights on me.

I’d mentioned to Nancy, my bride, during a flight the other day, that I love everything about flying. From wrenching on the airplane, to guiding it through the sky while watching God’s creation slipping by beneath the wings.

An incredible blessing from our almighty God it is indeed!

And while strapping on the little airplane, firing it up and launching into the heavens has become as comfortable as sliding into an old pair of shoes, the adventure never wears off.

Today, I’ll try to give back a little. Heading out shortly to go fly over a couple of local Memorial Day parades. As low as legally permissible, honoring those who gave their all for the freedom we all enjoy.

Jesse’s Girl was painted as she is for the same reason.

So off we go, the little airplane and I, proudly displaying D-Day invasion stripes and military themed stars and bars, to dance over the memorial celebrations!

Smoke On of course!

IMG_1854.jpg

My 8 year old son and I flew over to Hawthorne (HHR) for lunch, as well as to look at the SpaceX headquarters and Tesla Design Center.

It was a quick and easy flight, but one of those odd days when you're vacillating between going VFR and IFR due to the clouds. I was going to do IFR, but at the last minute the weather improved enough that I cancelled the IFR flight plan in the runup area and we took off westbound.

After departing Hawthorne, we took an aerial tour of the South Bay beaches, Long Beach harbor -- including the USS Iowa battleship and Queen Mary -- and the Orange County coastline down through Laguna Beach.

It was clear along the coast but low clouds still persisted along the Santa Ana mountains, so we coordinated with SoCal Approach to work our way along the east side of the SNA localizer and through the Santa Ana Canyon back to Corona.

I would have gotten more pictures but between supervising my son flying, the weather, and the busy frequencies, it was a fairly busy flight.

--Ron

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 11.18.45 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 11.18.45 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1339.jpg
    IMG_1339.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 114
Camp trip

Pulled my middle son (16 yr old) away from baseball for a minute, rallied my backcountry brethren, and went out for a camp trip. NW Arkansas. Camp, cook, float and fish. My RV-8, a C-195, a Super Cub, a Kitfox, and a C-172. (Technically a few days prior to the weekend, but close enough)

Attachments

• Ponca ramp.jpg
    Ponca ramp.jpg
    636 KB · Views: 146
  • Ponca rwy.jpg
    Ponca rwy.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Ponca depart.jpg
    Ponca depart.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Trigger site.jpg
    Trigger site.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 132
  • Trigger sunset.jpg
    Trigger sunset.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 150
I was encouraged to share this here, so here ya go.

Most things in life, many dauntingly difficult and exciting in the beginning, become rote, routine, and the sheen comes off of them. For me, this hasn’t been the case with flying.

Perhaps it’s because my fascination with flight has been life long; the success of the pursuit of owning my own craft manifesting well after the AARP set their sights on me.

I’d mentioned to Nancy, my bride, during a flight the other day, that I love everything about flying. From wrenching on the airplane, to guiding it through the sky while watching God’s creation slipping by beneath the wings.

An incredible blessing from our almighty God it is indeed!

And while strapping on the little airplane, firing it up and launching into the heavens has become as comfortable as sliding into an old pair of shoes, the adventure never wears off.

Today, I’ll try to give back a little. Heading out shortly to go fly over a couple of local Memorial Day parades. As low as legally permissible, honoring those who gave their all for the freedom we all enjoy.

Jesse’s Girl was painted as she is for the same reason.

So off we go, the little airplane and I, proudly displaying D-Day invasion stripes and military themed stars and bars, to dance over the memorial celebrations!

Smoke On of course!

Jesse,

Loved your weekend missive! Made me go to the internet and search out
John Magee Jr's Poem High Flight: The first two lines and the last three lines of the poem

High Flight
By John Gillespie Magee Jr.
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

I have had so many wonderful flights that had no purpose except to bask in the serenity of God's Creation....many times at the end of the day looking west into the beautiful pallet of a changing sky of colors and hues painted by the Hand of God :)

Thanks for sharing your flight with us!

Pulled my middle son (16 yr old) away from baseball for a minute, rallied my backcountry brethren, and went out for a camp trip. NW Arkansas. Camp, cook, float and fish. My RV-8, a C-195, a Super Cub, a Kitfox, and a C-172. (Technically a few days prior to the weekend, but close enough)

Did Butcher eat the rattlesnake? 😂
I just moved to the area. Planes are at the Hawks Nest.

Sat 3 June

First Pilots n Paws! Quick 300NM.

Attachments

• 16858072780411.jpg
    16858072780411.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 16858072775080.jpg
    16858072775080.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Garmin familiarization

So one thing professional aviators thrive on is knowing the EFIS system they are flying. Each one has its own language and idiosyncrasies. My friend Brad drives a 747 around the works and was not comfortable with the G3 in his new RV-7. He came down and we went through all the abilities it has (that that I know how to use) and then had a great lunch. It was fun to reconnect and discuss our careers as jet jocks and how much we love our pocket rocket RV’s.

Attachments

• IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 123
Back