What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newton v9 or v10

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi!

I am looking for a newton duplex fuel valve V9 or V10 for a rv14 EFI install of anyone has one they no longer need?

Rob at newton says:
“We do not have any stock at present due to parts shortages.
So, we are using the time to make some improvements and I am not sure when the valve will become available again.

When it becomes available you should be able to see on Aircraft Spruces' site.”

My other option is the fs2020 from andair - more expensive and will need to have 90’s out the sides of the valve which I was thinking the newton would nicely avoid.

Hi!

I am looking for a newton duplex fuel valve V9 or V10 for a rv14 EFI install of anyone has one they no longer need?

Rob at newton says:
So, we are using the time to make some improvements and I am not sure when the valve will become available again.

My other option is the fs2020 from andair - more expensive and will need to have 90’s out the sides of the valve which I was thinking the newton would nicely avoid.

Have you talked with Rob recently? I just received (on Friday) a V9 that replaced the defective V9 I had in the airplane.

Hey Rob----the 4 wing lines will be VERY CUSTOM due to the aft discharge ports on the V10!
Just sayin'
Tom

Andair +1

Hi!

Rob at newton says:

The Andair 90’s provide minimal MEASURED pressure drop and you get a fuel selector valve that has proven itself in hundreds of installations both SDS and EFII. Good luck finding one laying around.

The Andair 90’s provide minimal MEASURED pressure drop and you get a fuel selector valve that has proven itself in hundreds of installations both SDS and EFII. Good luck finding one laying around.

I think they are just as hard to get to be honest!

But your points are valid.

Can’t stand the orientation of them however. Why isn’t right on the right! the ocd in me might slowly go crazy.

Last edited:
Can’t stand the orientation of them however. Why isn’t right on the right! the ocd in me might slowly go crazy.

They are three way isolation valves (or two couples @ three way iso valves) versus ported ball valves. This is why they seal so well and have near negligible pressure drops for their designed flow. There is design flexibility built is to accommodate your OCD. Up = forward in the pic. Edit => left = forward. Site rotated the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_6488.jpg
    IMG_6488.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 61
There is design flexibility built is to accommodate your OCD. Up = forward in the pic. Edit => left = forward. Site rotated the pic.

Ha ha - yes. I wish that would be a solution. The -14 tunnel is so tight I would imagine the right hand side 90’s would be impossible to plumb if I rotated the valve like that.

I have emailed andair a couple of days ago but nothing heard back yet. Based on other threads I may have to call them.

Last edited:
Opposite OCD

They are three way isolation valves (or two couples @ three way iso valves) versus ported ball valves. This is why they seal so well and have near negligible pressure drops for their designed flow. There is design flexibility built is to accommodate your OCD. Up = forward in the pic. Edit => left = forward. Site rotated the pic.

I think the only way to get this orientation is to use the AndAir valve extension. For my 14 the valve lined up with what I thought was the correct orientation (No extension) with the AndAir logo at the 6 pm position. That is how they show it in the drawings, and I thought correct and the right at the 12 pm position did not bother me. Since left is at the 9 pm position that looks correct and I was ok with the right being at the top, or so I told myself.

The problem was after flying behind that orientation (In the 14) for the 10 using an extension provided it was not lined up correctly. (AndAir logo at the 7:30 position), now my OCD kicked in and after reviewing different fittings they sell a red adapter and a blue one. The red one they include with the extension but sell the blue ones also, which rotates the valve 45 degs. Unfortunately, I think you need an extension to do this. Edit, after reflection you might be able to swap the red adapter for the blue adapter (Or vice versa) for the FS2020 and reorientate the valve position handle 45 degrees on the FS2020 for the 14. I don't remember what the 14 used but maybe someone with a FS2020 valve in a 14 being built can look. Most likely Tom and Steve's custom hoses will need to be modified slightly if this is done in the 14. Personally, I like the AndAir logo at the 6 pm position but to each his own OCD.

AndAir does make a plate that would address everyone's paranoia, but it will not work with a FS2020 valve. (See pic)

Attachments

• Andair Orientation 14A.jpg
    Andair Orientation 14A.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Andair Orientation wrong.jpg
    Andair Orientation wrong.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Andair Orientation.jpg
    Andair Orientation.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2023-05-29 173737.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-29 173737.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
after reflection you might be able to swap the red adapter for the blue adapter (Or vice versa) for the FS2020 and reorientate the valve position handle 45 degrees on the FS2020 for the 14. I don't remember what the 14 used but maybe someone with a FS2020 valve in a 14 being built can look. Most likely Tom and Steve's custom hoses will need to be modified slightly if this is done in the 14. Personally, I like the AndAir logo at the 6 pm position but to each his own OCD.

I haven’t been able to find a drawing of how the valve goes together (edit: see below) but it sounds like you are saying it comes with the red adapter to interface the valve to the handle, but a blue adapter may keep the valve body in the same orientation, but rotate the handle 45 degrees? If this was the case then it would be perfect.

The image below seems to show the valve goes together with neither a red or blue adapter.

Attachments

• 03EBF056-11C6-4A24-BB96-69EF1F4A45ED.jpeg
    03EBF056-11C6-4A24-BB96-69EF1F4A45ED.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Adapter

I think my initial assessment was correct you will need to use an extension albeit it could be very short. Notice how the blue adapter is offset 45 degrees from the red one. I don't think you will have enough depth to do this. Not to question anyone's desire for a certain orientation the AndAir Logo at the bottom or top where it was designed, I think looks better. More symmetric but that's my opinion. After your first flight you will just turn the knob left for the left tank and right for the right tank. Seems pretty natural and you don't even look at it when this is done.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-30 130411.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-30 130411.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot 2023-05-30 130324.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-30 130324.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2023-05-30 130251.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-30 130251.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 27
Orientation in the 10

This is the orientation in the 10 after I changed the adapter rotating counterclockwise 45 degrees.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-30 132757.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-30 132757.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 35
This is because of the front discharge, and return ports to and from the firewall. The wing ports are left/right, but that puts the forward ports 90* to the wing ports. This also means the internal spool valve ports are 90*.
Kinda hard for the handle to turn 180* and the spool to turn 90*, without some sort of elaborate clutch system between the spool shaft and the handle.

Tom

This is because of the front discharge, and return ports to and from the firewall. The wing ports are left/right, but that puts the forward ports 90* to the wing ports. This also means the internal spool valve ports are 90*.
Kinda hard for the handle to turn 180* and the spool to turn 90*, without some sort of elaborate clutch system between the spool shaft and the handle.

Tom

Yeah it’s not really a big deal. Better to have a proven solid reliable valve than anything else. Been a week and no response from Andair. Newton replied in a day but no stock. Will wait and see. Might have to stay up late and ring andair I think.

Back