What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Software v9.21 Now Available (4/20/2023)

Just got mine loaded.

Only issue I had is my 6 CHT/EGT bumped my two Turbo Inlet Temps off to an AUX page instead of living right next to the CHT/EGT. Still playing to see if I can get that back.

Excited for Conditional Formatting.
Potentially reformat the Fuel Flow to have a narrower green band for Takeoff.
And a lower scale for correct ROP or LOP operation at reduced settings.

I've printed a bunch of manual pages but there looks like a lot of play time in the hangar coming up.

Appreciate the update!!

Tj
Disabling “Normalize” restores the data area and prevents spillover to Aux page (more important for 6cyl peeps).

Also it appears you could easily overwrite your signal path number if you don’t keep things straight and select the correct path number.

I wish there was an AGL option for the supplemental conditional formatting which I assume is just MSL. I could trick it to ignore the gear warning horn above X agl for instance. Or a fuel pump ON or OFF around the 1000’ area.

Regardless, super new group of options.

Tom

Last edited:
**Edit: G3xpert informed me that EIS width will be wide if any data is displayed as text. Have not tested yet. YMMV**

The new features are great, but if you're not willing (or didn't notice yet) that the EIS display has grown and removed space from the PFD/MFD and you want it back to the previous width your only option is to backdate to 9.14.

A non-adjustable width permanent display getting larger (to only display more black/blank screen) is a pretty terrible "feature" when I can just touch it for expanded information. I can't make the map display any bigger, and I use it a whole lot more than the EIS.

Last edited:
Did anyone start a new thread with uses for the logic states in the G3X?
I couldn’t find one.

A few months back I did a quick turn at a local field after dropping some stuff off.
I was distracted and talking to a friend.
I was only a 5min flight from home and landed solo with around 15gal of fuel on board. So close to the fwd cg limit and max nose up trim….
Took off without resetting it. Boy do that get my attention quick.
That’s only the second time in 15 years I’ve done that. The first was on the RV7 and it was irritating but didn’t scare me. This time I was quite annoyed with myself.

Anyway… today I used the logic levels to set trim alerts in all axes plus the flaps. Basically if everything isn’t configured for TO and the RPM is under 1200 then I get a CAS for the relevant out of position trim/flap plus the trim/flap gages turn red. Above 1200RPM no alerts or colored trim gages.
Part of my holding point checklist is no CAS msgs so this may prevent me scaring myself again.
I’ll try it out for a while. It’s the first attempt so there may be a better logic to achieve this.

Did anyone start a new thread with uses for the logic states in the G3X?
I couldn’t find one.

A few months back I did a quick turn at a local field after dropping some stuff off.
I was distracted and talking to a friend.
I was only a 5min flight from home and landed solo with around 15gal of fuel on board. So close to the fwd cg limit and max nose up trim….
Took off without resetting it. Boy do that get my attention quick.
That’s only the second time in 15 years I’ve done that. The first was on the RV7 and it was irritating but didn’t scare me. This time I was quite annoyed with myself.

Anyway… today I used the logic levels to set trim alerts in all axes plus the flaps. Basically if everything isn’t configured for TO and the RPM is under 1200 then I get a CAS for the relevant out of position trim/flap plus the trim/flap gages turn red. Above 1200RPM no alerts or colored trim gages.
Part of my holding point checklist is no CAS msgs so this may prevent me scaring myself again.
I’ll try it out for a while. It’s the first attempt so there may be a better logic to achieve this.

Essentially a takeoff configuration warning similar to what is used in Part 25 (transport category in U.S) aircraft? Very nice.

If you could share the setup you used, that would be very helpful!

Last edited:
Essentially a takeoff configuration warning similar to what is used in Part 25 (transport category in U.S) aircraft? Very nice.

If you could share the setup you used, that would be very helpful!

Sure. I set a hidden RPM range of 0-1200 which sets logic signal XX.

The pitch trim gauge runs from -50 to +50 (on my setup - I assume everyone’s is unique to a degree)
I have a green band from -5 to +5.
This is mainly to give a visible range as the cyan or white triangle tends to obscure a single tick mark at 0.
I added 2 new red+alert ranges on the pitch trim. -50 to -5 and +5 to +50
Both of these new ranges require logic signal XX to be set. Repeat for other axes and flaps. The rest is probably overkill but it only take a few secs.

See photos below. Like I said above, I think that the RPM is an effective logic signal. But I’m open to suggestions.

IMG_8288.jpg

IMG_8286.jpg

So, if you pull the throttle back to idle over the numbers on landing, the CAS will start barking at you just before the flare? Thinking that might scare the passengers and possibly you the first time.

Last edited:
So, if you pull the throttle back to idle over the numbers on landing, the CAS will start barking at you just before the flare?

Yes potentially. Need to test. There is an altitude and airspeed constraint as well but I haven’t been able to figure out how that may be applicable as yet.

To avoid nuisance alerts while airborne, you may want to edit the configuration for your logic signal to add a maximum airspeed threshold and a short delay before the logic signal is set. (config mode --> Engine/Airframe --> Settings --> Logic Signals)

For example, something like 40 knots and 15 seconds would change the behavior of your alerts so that they should only appear when the aircraft is on the ground, which I think is what you are aiming for.

In fact, in conjunction with this you could change the RPM range that generates the signal to be 0-9999... then it would essentially no longer be RPM-based but rather only triggered by an on-ground condition.

Lots of ways to use these tools, this is just one approach of course.

Airspeed Constraints

Yes potentially. Need to test. There is an altitude and airspeed constraint as well but I haven’t been able to figure out how that may be applicable as yet.

We are adding some additional examples in the forthcoming revision to our installation manual, and TO Trim position is one of them. We do include an airspeed constraint of below 35 KIAS to help add an "on-ground" determination, and avoid this kind of nuisance alert.

To add an airspeed or altitude constraint, power on the system in configuration mode, select Engine and Airframe, touch the Settings tab at the top of the page. From there, select Logic Signals.

Highlight the logic signal you selected for this alert, and you will have the option to assign altitude and airspeed constraints as desired. As Matt mentioned there are also delay options available, you will find them in this menu as well.

Thanks,

Justin

Logic for Low Fuel Flow During Takeoff?

I recently forgot to move the mixture from ground lean to full rich before takeoff. The cylinder temp got hot very quickly, and that alert triggered me to check the mixture position.

Has anyone come up with a logic alert that would catch this? Fuel flow below a certain GPH, RPM above a certain threshold, altitude below 1,000 ft? I haven't looked in detail at the altitude constraint capabilities. How would you prevent nuisance alerts during approach to landing?

We are adding some additional examples in the forthcoming revision to our installation manual, and TO Trim position is one of them. We do include an airspeed constraint of below 35 KIAS to help add an "on-ground" determination, and avoid this kind of nuisance alert.

To add an airspeed or altitude constraint, power on the system in configuration mode, select Engine and Airframe, touch the Settings tab at the top of the page. From there, select Logic Signals.

Highlight the logic signal you selected for this alert, and you will have the option to assign altitude and airspeed constraints as desired. As Matt mentioned there are also delay options available, you will find them in this menu as well.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks Justin. That sounds perfect. I’ll amend my setup accordingly.

Vertical Power Integration

This feature is a nice upgrade for Garmin alert system. Being able to cascade logic signals is really nice and have added this to inputs/outputs that are outside VPX works well. (Thanks Matt !!) I asked VPX at OSH if I could use outputs controlled by their device (flaps, trims, etc.) and they did not know. I wish I would have known about this capability a year ago, might have decided something different than VPX in my 10.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with the New dynamic gages. I need more than 10 because I keep thinking up new ways to use them. Here's what I've used.
Flaps - out of takeoff range
Flaps - <15* overspeed
Flaps- >15* overspeed
Elevator and Aileron trim out of takeoff range
RPM - mag check band from 1800 -1625 alive only on ground and in the range.
Oil pressure - idle start 25-115, above 1200rpm 55-95
Fuel pressure - idle 12-40, above1200rpm 14-40
Oil temp - (on grnd) yellow 0-70(no runup)
(in air) yellow 0-140 (Lyc recommended min temp)

The main thing I like about 9.22 is the ability to cancel Master Warn & Caution lights

One caution I would add is to NOT make excessive use of these warnings that could be considered minor. It is far too easy to become accustomed to nuisance alerts and begin to ignore them. We need some way to be triggered into fast reaction for serious warnings, even when they come in otherwise high stress environments. I remember recently reading about an airline crash and the primary cause was the pilot blocking out an alert that was routinely false and that on this final occurrence was no longer a head fake; Many deaths.

My feelings are to keep the big red light for serious issues and improve checklist discipline for the more minor stuff. Just one man's opinion.

Last edited:
One caution I would add is to NOT make excessive use of these warnings that could be considered minor. It is far too easy to become accustomed to nuisance alerts and begin to ignore them. We need some way to be triggered into fast reaction for serious warnings, even when they come in otherwise high stress environments.

My feelings are to keep the big red light for serious issues and improve checklist discipline for the more minor stuff. Just one man's opinion.

So true!

And this is part of a greater contemporary trend to count on hardware to not just backstop poor pilot skills, but to support it -- think AOA indicators for approach guidance, for instance. (Yes, I know there will be pushback on this statement, but I've done the research, the analysis, and the flight tests and stand by my statement.) One of my wise friends call describes this general trend as "gadgetitis."

It's also interesting to contemplate the operational difference between Master Warning (immediate notification required, immediate action required) and Master Caution (action required but not immediately, but notification is still immediate). Both MC and MW have the same aural alert, and the standard response is to punch both lights to silence whichever alert actually went off.

Beyond that, it's also an interesting exercise to go over checklists and see how many of those items are actually required for immediate flight safety, as opposed to good practice or preventing later problems. On landing, for example, prop forward, mixture rich and pump on are not actually required for immediate flight safety, but are good practice to be set in case of go around.

And checklists serve another function, and that is to help the pilot transition mentally to a new phase of flight, such as the transition out of cruise.

All of which is to say that there's a lot more than meets the eye in terms of checklists, procedures, personal preference, tradition, and everything else.

One caution I would add is to NOT make excessive use of these warnings that could be considered minor. It is far too easy to become accustomed to nuisance alerts and begin to ignore them.

Also, think about the flight safety and annoyance factor of a false alarm. I had the logic signals set up to provide a "flap overspeed" warning. Basically: Flap position 1-44 set to red + alert when airspeed is > my "half flaps" Vfe of 96kt. During a recent flight, I found out the hard way that my flap position sensor occasionally will report 1 instead of 0 when flaps are fully retracted. So, about at about 250 ft AGL during my takeoff climb, the flap overspeed warning lit up like Las Vegas. Glancing out of the cabin at the flap confirmed it was false. Thankfully, you can tap the CAS message to silence it.

Lesson learned, and indeed the G3X manual's flap example uses a value of 2 for a flap speed alarm, probably this exact reason. Beyond correcting the configuration value, the experience has made me re-think having this alarm altogether.

Last edited:
It's also interesting to contemplate the operational difference between Master Warning (immediate notification required, immediate action required) and Master Caution (action required but not immediately, but notification is still immediate). Both MC and MW have the same aural alert

There are no aural alerts for caution-level (yellow) CAS messages in my G3X system.

So true!

And this is part of a greater contemporary trend to count on hardware to not just backstop poor pilot skills, but to support it -- think AOA indicators for approach guidance, for instance. (Yes, I know there will be pushback on this statement, but I've done the research, the analysis, and the flight tests and stand by my statement.) One of my wise friends call describes this general trend as "gadgetitis."

It's also interesting to contemplate the operational difference between Master Warning (immediate notification required, immediate action required) and Master Caution (action required but not immediately, but notification is still immediate). Both MC and MW have the same aural alert, and the standard response is to punch both lights to silence whichever alert actually went off.

Beyond that, it's also an interesting exercise to go over checklists and see how many of those items are actually required for immediate flight safety, as opposed to good practice or preventing later problems. On landing, for example, prop forward, mixture rich and pump on are not actually required for immediate flight safety, but are good practice to be set in case of go around.

And checklists serve another function, and that is to help the pilot transition mentally to a new phase of flight, such as the transition out of cruise.

All of which is to say that there's a lot more than meets the eye in terms of checklists, procedures, personal preference, tradition, and everything else.

While I agree with almost all you said, I will disagree that AOA is a “gadget”; I would look at it as more of a tool. Coming from a background of an instrument six pack and a vor/ils head, I get it…it is not required. It is, however, a valuable tool when flying an approach, and not one to be dismissed out of hand.

One caution I would add is to NOT make excessive use of these warnings that could be considered minor. It is far too easy to become accustomed to nuisance alerts and begin to ignore them. We need some way to be triggered into fast reaction for serious warnings, even when they come in otherwise high stress environments. I remember recently reading about an airline crash and the primary cause was the pilot blocking out an alert that was routinely false and that on this final occurrence was no longer a head fake; Many deaths.

I agree with your sentiment, that’s the point. The majority of the use cases for my use of this functionality is to prevent said nuisance alerts. (Except the elevator trim)
If you permanently have a sea of yellows on your EIS because of low RPM or whatever then it becomes easy to normalize and ignore them as you say.
The aim of my use of the logic signals is to make sure that in all phases of ground/flight the engine gages are in the Green unless something actually is wrong.
I also agree wholeheartedly on the big flashing lights.
I only have a warning and aural alert for the elevator trim, doors and oil pressure.. The rest are mostly cautions.
You can’t miss the CAS. I don’t feel need for a light right above it on the panel.

Would like to understand further

The new cascade alarm system is meant to decrease nuisance alarms. Why get a caution or master alarm when the airframe is performing exactly to requirements? Why do we want to take time to think that a caution alarm is ok as we just pulled back to idle so a lower oil pressure is ok? There are times when I set a master alarm or caution alarm different because I am trying not to get a nuisance alarm. This system allows for me to set much tighter "normal" ranges because I know I will not get said nuisance alarms.

Suggest everyone try the new system. Takes a little more forethought in programming but definitely worth it. Another person's opinion and I thank Garman for developing this!!

The new cascade alarm system is meant to decrease nuisance alarms. Why get a caution or master alarm when the airframe is performing exactly to requirements? Why do we want to take time to think that a caution alarm is ok as we just pulled back to idle so a lower oil pressure is ok? There are times when I set a master alarm or caution alarm different because I am trying not to get a nuisance alarm. This system allows for me to set much tighter "normal" ranges because I know I will not get said nuisance alarms.

Suggest everyone try the new system. Takes a little more forethought in programming but definitely worth it. Another person's opinion and I thank Garman for developing this!!

Wish I had this (I have non touch). Unlike the GRT on my 6, the G3X only has one OP limit setting instead of two with RPM as the 2nd variable. At low idle, my warning triggers as I dip just below the limit. Very frustrating as I am unwilling to drop the overall limit down to avoid it and in fact would rather increase the limit as an early warning. OP tends to be VERY stable (at least the low end is) untill the day it is not. Therefore changes are worthy of a caution as it is rarely a good sign, even when in the normal range.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me where the wiring diagrams are in the install manual (rev AU) for the resettable master and caution lights. I have them installed and can’t seem to find it.

Thanks

Can someone tell me where the wiring diagrams are in the install manual (rev AU) for the resettable master and caution lights. I have them installed and can’t seem to find it.

Thanks

Page 463 shows the master warning and caution outputs. For the inputs any discrete input will work. I didn’t see an example in the manual

Back