What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insta360 camera mounting

erich weaver

Well Known Member
Greetings!
Just purchased an Insta360 camera and thought I would attempt to save a few dollars and fashion a home built pole mount for the wing tip rather than pay for the one offered through Flightflix. My plan is to do something similar to what JD Finley did, as shown in his video here:

https://youtu.be/8OEosxVJsG0

A couple questions for those who have gone before me:

(1) Does it make any difference whether the camera is attached in line with the pole or at a right angle to the pole, as done in the video? Im thinking there could be a difference in either the orientation of the video that would need to be corrected in editing, or perhaps aerodynamic differences that would cause the camera to bounce more in flight

(2) Is there a preferred position for the pole either on top of or below the wing? The position choice could possibly result in a slight difference in the camera view or a difference in how the camera or plane reacts during flight.

thanks for any tips you can provide.

Fun times ahead...

Manufacturing your own pole is easy enough and there are a number of ways you can do this of course. I've found that when you use a pole there seems to be some airspeeds that the pole is rock solid and other speeds where there can be a kind of harmonic vibration. Once you identify the best airspeed range its easy to avoid these harmonics. Mine sticks out about 18" forward of the wing but might be slightly long. I should think you need at least 12 inches though.

I mounted my pole on top of the wingtip mainly because in doing so it gave me visibility of the entire fuselage, including the tailwheel. My camera (GP Max 360) is mounted with the lenses to the side (not fore and aft) so the pole is on the axis of the cameras blind spot and while you can see it in the video, its not particularly obvious. I do notice a very slight rudder input change when its installed... just the drag on that side I guess.

I tried mounting the camera directly to the wingtip however I couldn't avoid getting a chunk of wingtip in the video shot, so having it on a pole is certainly much better.

I have had some small, stout mounts resonate at some speeds (GP8, attached 4" above RV-12 wing tip/handle). It makes me nervous about attaching anything longer, but like the OP I would really like to do so in a safe manner.

Just finished my mount and have one short flight with camera. Everything seems to be working fine. I built mine using almost entirely hardware store materials for not much money at all. The equivalent Flightflix solution will set you back over $200. I did move the mount to the opposite side of the plane than shown in the photos and moved it back on the wing slightly so that the camera is slightly higher.

The white plastic things are “saddle washers”. You can get by without them but I had some and think they add a little sophistication :) You can just barely see it in one of the photos but I threaded in a 3/8 brass plug into the tip of the 3/4” tubing, then drilled a hole in that and tapped it for 1/4-20 threads, which is the standard camera attachment size. A small stainless stud in that provides the final link to the camera. There is a piece of thin rubber sheet between the mounting bracket and the wing to prevent wear and scratching of the paint.

759C19B1-580F-41BF-A58C-80E1AE37FD78.jpg

903D5832-CBC4-49C7-8854-1143EA938669.jpg

32A5B758-64B1-44C9-8889-52277F36CD71.jpg

6507507D-2141-499C-915B-83271EB58ECB.jpg

Last edited:
Good start. Looking forward to seeing your videos.

I would like to recommend you consider spreading the attachment to the wing over two brackets rather than just the one. Thats a big lever arm on those three screws and I'd hate to see your wing get damaged.

Back