What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak GX Pilot replacement

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
So my TruTrak GX Pilot autopilot in my RV-10 just died and tech support says my only option is to replace it. Any suggestions? Ideally it would be something that would allow me to continue to use my existing TruTrak servos but I’m not sure if that’s possible as it’s been over 10 years since I looked at autopilots.

I would think your cost-effective option would be to try to find a used control head. There must be some out there.
If you were starting from scratch, I’d tell you that I have only praise for my Trio Pro with Auto-trim. But, that would be a complete do-over for you, different servos, different panel cutout.

I would think your cost-effective option would be to try to find a used control head. There must be some out there.
If you were starting from scratch, I’d tell you that I have only praise for my Trio Pro with Auto-trim. But, that would be a complete do-over for you, different servos, different panel cutout.

As I have a legacy non-Touch G3X I guess another option would be to pull the TruTrak servos and replace them with GSA28s. Thoughts?

As I have a legacy non-Touch G3X I guess another option would be to pull the TruTrak servos and replace them with GSA28s. Thoughts?

If you can’t fix/find a control head, that’s probably your lowest cost option. One caution: If I’m IFR, I could lose all 3 efis boxes on board, and the Trio plus gps could fly me home, right down to zero feet, on the runway centerline, so I count it as a ‘redundancy’. If I went to an efis-based autopilot I’d lose that extra redundancy.

If you can’t fix/find a control head, that’s probably your lowest cost option. One caution: If I’m IFR, I could lose all 3 efis boxes on board, and the Trio plus gps could fly me home, right down to zero feet, on the runway centerline, so I count it as a ‘redundancy’. If I went to an efis-based autopilot I’d lose that extra redundancy.

So as bad luck would have it my TruTrak Gemini backup PFD also chose this moment to go Tango Uniform. One of the reasons I went TruTrak initially was for the reason you stated. I wanted a stand alone A/P in case the EFIS died. However, if I add the Garmin servos and a G5, then if I understand correctly the redundancy issue is solved.

I just went through that. Removed my still-working GX Pilot and replaced with GSA 28 servos. The form factor is the same on the servos so those are a bolt-in. You'll have to remove the servo wiring and replace with fewer wires. Hardest part is making a block-off plate for the GX control head.

If you have a flat-pack controller, I'll sell my complete setup to you if you don't want to bother with servo replacement.

I just went through that. Removed my still-working GX Pilot and replaced with GSA 28 servos. The form factor is the same on the servos so those are a bolt-in. You'll have to remove the servo wiring and replace with fewer wires. Hardest part is making a block-off plate for the GX control head.

If you have a flat-pack controller, I'll sell my complete setup to you if you don't want to bother with servo replacement.

Im interested— I just sent you a PM

Last edited:
So as bad luck would have it my TruTrak Gemini backup PFD also chose this moment to go Tango Uniform. One of the reasons I went TruTrak initially was for the reason you stated. I wanted a stand alone A/P in case the EFIS died. However, if I add the Garmin servos and a G5, then if I understand correctly the redundancy issue is solved.

You could replace the Gemini PFD with the version that includes the A/P (now called Xcruze 110) and drive the existing servos I think. Would give you both functions and an independent A/P capability that can be driven from any GPS source both RS232 and arinc 429.

I looked at the G5 option to replace my Gemini when I installed the GNX375 but the costs started adding up with the G5, servos, Gad29 module, control panel etc. and also running new CAN bus wiring to the wing and rear fuselage that I decided to stick with the Gemini. System not quite as seamless as the G5 setup would have been but works pretty well and flies fully coupled approaches etc.
Just a thought
Figs

Epilogue ...

You could replace the Gemini PFD with the version that includes the A/P (now called Xcruze 110) and drive the existing servos I think. Would give you both functions and an independent A/P capability that can be driven from any GPS source both RS232 and arinc 429.

I looked at the G5 option to replace my Gemini when I installed the GNX375 but the costs started adding up with the G5, servos, Gad29 module, control panel etc. and also running new CAN bus wiring to the wing and rear fuselage that I decided to stick with the Gemini. System not quite as seamless as the G5 setup would have been but works pretty well and flies fully coupled approaches etc.
Just a thought
Figs

So I looked into 3 options:
1. Find someone willing to sell me a TruTrak controller
2. Yank all the TruTrak hardware out and switch to Garmin GSA28 servos driven by my existing G3X (with a possible G5 add-on)
3. Install a BendixKing xCruze 110, which is an all-in-one autopilot and PFD similar to the G5.

In the end, thanks to Heinrich G here on VAF, I was able to go with option 1. (Although I did go ahead and purchase a G5 as well with an eye on a complete panel refurb down the road.) Option 2 would have worked but would have been more expensive and taken significantly more time to install. If the new TruTrak system dies I'm switching to Garmin. Option 3 was a complete bust as my old TruTrak servos are incompatible with the new BK xCruze system (confirmed with BendixKing by servo part number). Also there's none to be had at the moment with an apparent 90-day lead time according to the BK sales rep.

Interesting on option number 3. as my TruTrak servos were installed around 2007 and when I updated from the prior TruTrak ADI II system to the Gemini the servos were compatible and work fine. Wonder what is different with earlier servos.

All TruTrak/BK servos and controllers can be driven/drive legacy or current equipment. Older servos may not be repairable any longer, but the interface is the same as it's always been.

All TruTrak/BK servos and controllers can be driven/drive legacy or current equipment. Older servos may not be repairable any longer, but the interface is the same as it's always been.

Andrew - it may time to go thump some sense into the folks providing support for this product. "Wrong" answers from tech support lead to customers turf the product entirely and then they tend to spend a lot of time telling folks why they will never install another Brand X product again.

Incorrect information provided by tech support isn't just a sales killer, it's a complete brand killer.

Back